Chain broke--sorta

B.B.

Guest
On my way to work my bike dumped me off. I didn't immediately see
anything wrong, so I hopped back on and continued (carefully) to work.
The bike kept auto-shifting all the way and I thought I'd bent the
derailer hanger.
But once I got back there and started looking around I found a single
link which had lost a side plate.
This was a new chain with probably less than 100 miles on it, so I'm
wondering, was it a dud or do I need to look at something in my drive
line that may stress a chain?
I did notice a pretty pronounced side-to-side wobble in the chain
rings, which I have corrected since. But it was causing no audible
rubbing before the accident, so I doubt if that was the cause.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/

"B.B." wrote:
> I found a single
> link which had lost a side plate.
> This was a new chain with probably less than 100 miles on it,

Since this happened less than 100 miles after replacing the chain, I suspect
that the chain wasn't joined properly. Can you tell if the failure was on
the joining link (different type pin or "quick disconnect link")? If the
chain was installed at an LBS, I would go back there and show them what
happened.

> I did notice a pretty pronounced side-to-side wobble in the chain
> rings, which I have corrected since.

What was the cause of the wobble?

Art Harris

In article <[email protected]>,
"Arthur Harris" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"B.B." wrote:
>> I found a single
>> link which had lost a side plate.
>> This was a new chain with probably less than 100 miles on it,

>Since this happened less than 100 miles after replacing the chain, I suspect
>that the chain wasn't joined properly. Can you tell if the failure was on
>the joining link (different type pin or "quick disconnect link")? If the
>chain was installed at an LBS, I would go back there and show them what
>happened.

Yeah, it failed where it was pinned back together. Unfortunately,
the LBS that sold the bike to me closed a couple of weeks ago. However,
this was a Motobecane bike, so I figure the chain was likely installed
at the factory.

>> I did notice a pretty pronounced side-to-side wobble in the chain
>> rings, which I have corrected since.

>What was the cause of the wobble?

Crank was seated crookedly on the spindle. I fixed it by reindexing
the crank until the wobble was mitigated. Still has a wobble, but it's
less than the thickness of the chain ring itself.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/