Chain/cassette advice sought

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Bulter9090, Feb 17, 2003.

  1. Bulter9090

    Bulter9090 Guest

    Weird thing happened to me the other week - I decided to get back on my 1996 Claud Butler MTB after
    4 months of cold weather aviodance (and laziness) and after the third night was biking away thikning
    about chains breaking and if that was very common these days when 8 - 12 seconds (literally) my
    chain broke. Walk back home then :(

    My 21 speed bike has Shimano components with IG stamped all over it, so I buy a replacment chain
    from Halfords (not Shimano one but says it's compatible). Give bike a much needed clean and put the
    chain on. Now the chain slips under any serious pedaling.

    After a little research this seems to be commonly due to the rear cogs wearing with the chain (this
    is after 6 years and 4000 miles) and now the chain is replaced the worn cogs need replacing too.
    Doesn't seem to be a stiff link although I'm not absolutely certain of that - I just can't see
    anything wrong when I back pedal looking closely at the rear.

    So now I'm looking at replacing the cassette. After checking the exact type (I'll check this
    weekend) I plan to buy a replacement for it off the web. I'm considering buying the chain whip and
    locking nut so I can have a go at replacing this myself without resorting to the LBS - but I'm not
    sure how financially viable this is (if it's more than twice the cost of the LBS then maybe not
    worth it).

    Any recommended online UK component retailers I should look at? Has a look on some on yahoo but no
    clear winner to me.

    Is now a good time to think about replacing the Shimano IG stuff altogether? Presumably that would
    mean both derailleurs, chianset, shifters etc - mines all Shimano Alivio stuff.

    I suppose I just want a bit of reassuring proding before I spend my hard-earned when I'm a newbie
    who doesn't really know what he's doing :)

    Any help appreciated.

    Tom

    Tags:

  2. Paul Ayck

    Paul Ayck Guest

    www.chainreactioncycles.co.uk If you sure there no stiff link, then a rear cassette will be the
    news:[email protected]...

  3. "bulter9090" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Any recommended online UK component retailers I should look at? Has a look on some on yahoo but no
    > clear winner to me.
    >
    > Is now a good time to think about replacing the Shimano IG stuff altogether? Presumably that would
    > mean both derailleurs, chianset, shifters etc - mines all Shimano Alivio stuff.

    Settle Cycles (www.settlecycles.co.uk) seem to be good for Shimano-compatible bits; no P&P but any
    orders placed have to be for at least ten quid's worth of stuff.

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York