Chain/cassette advice sought

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Bulter9090, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bulter9090

Bulter9090 Guest

Weird thing happened to me the other week - I decided to get back on my 1996 Claud Butler MTB after
    4 months of cold weather aviodance (and laziness) and after the third night was biking away thikning
    about chains breaking and if that was very common these days when 8 - 12 seconds (literally) my
    chain broke. Walk back home then :(

My 21 speed bike has Shimano components with IG stamped all over it, so I buy a replacment chain
    from Halfords (not Shimano one but says it's compatible). Give bike a much needed clean and put the
    chain on. Now the chain slips under any serious pedaling.

After a little research this seems to be commonly due to the rear cogs wearing with the chain (this
    is after 6 years and 4000 miles) and now the chain is replaced the worn cogs need replacing too.
    Doesn't seem to be a stiff link although I'm not absolutely certain of that - I just can't see
    anything wrong when I back pedal looking closely at the rear.

So now I'm looking at replacing the cassette. After checking the exact type (I'll check this
    weekend) I plan to buy a replacement for it off the web. I'm considering buying the chain whip and
    locking nut so I can have a go at replacing this myself without resorting to the LBS - but I'm not
    sure how financially viable this is (if it's more than twice the cost of the LBS then maybe not
    worth it).

Any recommended online UK component retailers I should look at? Has a look on some on yahoo but no
    clear winner to me.

Is now a good time to think about replacing the Shimano IG stuff altogether? Presumably that would
    mean both derailleurs, chianset, shifters etc - mines all Shimano Alivio stuff.

I suppose I just want a bit of reassuring proding before I spend my hard-earned when I'm a newbie
    who doesn't really know what he's doing :)

Any help appreciated.

Tom

Tags:

2. Paul Ayck

Paul Ayck Guest

www.chainreactioncycles.co.uk If you sure there no stiff link, then a rear cassette will be the
    answer I'm afraid, but thet are very cheap. "bulter9090" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Weird thing happened to me the other week - I decided to get back on my
    > Claud Butler MTB after 4 months of cold weather aviodance (and laziness)
    and
    > after the third night was biking away thikning about chains breaking and
    if
    > that was very common these days when 8 - 12 seconds (literally) my chain broke. Walk back
    > home then :(
    >
    > My 21 speed bike has Shimano components with IG stamped all over it, so I buy a replacment chain
    > from Halfords (not Shimano one but says it's compatible). Give bike a much needed clean and put
    > the chain on. Now the chain slips under any serious pedaling.
    >
    > After a little research this seems to be commonly due to the rear cogs wearing with the chain
    > (this is after 6 years and 4000 miles) and now the chain is replaced the worn cogs need replacing
    > too. Doesn't seem to be a stiff link although I'm not absolutely certain of that - I just can't
    > see anything wrong when I back pedal looking closely at the rear.
    >
    > So now I'm looking at replacing the cassette. After checking the exact
    type
    > (I'll check this weekend) I plan to buy a replacement for it off the web. I'm considering buying
    > the chain whip and locking nut so I can have a go
    at
    > replacing this myself without resorting to the LBS - but I'm not sure how financially viable this
    > is (if it's more than twice the cost of the LBS
    then
    > maybe not worth it).
    >
    > Any recommended online UK component retailers I should look at? Has a
    look
    > on some on yahoo but no clear winner to me.
    >
    > Is now a good time to think about replacing the Shimano IG stuff
    altogether?
    > Presumably that would mean both derailleurs, chianset, shifters etc -
    mines
    > all Shimano Alivio stuff.
    >
    > I suppose I just want a bit of reassuring proding before I spend my hard-earned when I'm a newbie
    > who doesn't really know what he's doing :)
    >
    > Any help appreciated.
    >
    > Tom

3. "bulter9090" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    > Any recommended online UK component retailers I should look at? Has a look on some on yahoo but no
    > clear winner to me.
    >
    > Is now a good time to think about replacing the Shimano IG stuff altogether? Presumably that would
    > mean both derailleurs, chianset, shifters etc - mines all Shimano Alivio stuff.
    >

Settle Cycles (www.settlecycles.co.uk) seem to be good for Shimano-compatible bits; no P&P but any
    orders placed have to be for at least ten quid's worth of stuff.

David E. Belcher

Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.