Chain caught between chainrings

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Patrick, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Patrick

    Patrick Guest

    Here's a new one: yesterday during a particularly wet & muddy MTB ride I managed to get a full link
    of my chain wedged between the granny and middle chainrings. It was so far stuck that I had to
    remove the rings to get the chain out. Any ideas how/why? Perhaps the MTB gods were simply not
    smiling on me and whacked me with a one-in-a-million-shifts glitch? I've been riding a long time and
    never had that happen; I'd prefer to keep riding and never have it happen again, so if anyone has
    suggestions I'd love to hear them.

    BTW it's a Shimano 9-speed XT drivetrain, with a Sram 9-speed chain. Nothing is worn either - the
    bike has fewer than 500 miles.

    Tags:

  2. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Patrick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Here's a new one: yesterday during a particularly wet & muddy MTB ride I managed to get a full
    > link of my chain wedged between the granny and middle chainrings. It was so far stuck that I had
    > to remove the rings to get the chain out. Any ideas how/why? Perhaps the MTB gods were simply not
    > smiling on me and whacked me with a one-in-a-million-shifts glitch? I've been riding a long time
    > and never had that happen; I'd prefer to keep riding and never have it happen again, so if anyone
    > has suggestions I'd love to hear them.
    >
    > BTW it's a Shimano 9-speed XT drivetrain, with a Sram 9-speed chain. Nothing is worn either - the
    > bike has fewer than 500 miles.

    Shift happens.

  3. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    Yep, happened to me from time to time. I just yank it out, or pry the rings apart a bit and yank
    it out. It can happen if you get a mis-shift and you're really on the pedals hard. Another dandy
    is when your chain gets sucked up between the rings and the chain stay. That's another horrible
    one to try and de-crypt. Just keep your driveline lubed and hope you don't get too many muddy days
    of riding.

    Cheers,

    Scott..
    --