Chain Cleaning advice

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Gyp, May 8, 2003.

  1. Gyp

    Gyp Guest

    I've getting quite bad chain suck, figured it was the last blast through sand that had don't it and
    sure enough the links seemed to be impregnated with the stuff. Gave it a good clean/lube but its
    still sucking..

    Anyone have any good tricks on cleaning em up, I'm thinking jetwasher!!

    Gyp

    Tags:

  2. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Gyp wrote:

    > I've getting quite bad chain suck, figured it was the last blast through sand that had don't it
    > and sure enough the links seemed to be impregnated with the stuff. Gave it a good clean/lube but
    > its still sucking..
    >
    > Anyone have any good tricks on cleaning em up, I'm thinking jetwasher!!

    Chain suck is not just the result of a dirty chain - check here for more info:
    http://www.fagan.co.za/Bikes/Csuck

  3. Gyp

    Gyp Guest

    bomba wrote:
    > Gyp wrote:

    >> Anyone have any good tricks on cleaning em up, I'm thinking jetwasher!!
    >

    > Chain suck is not just the result of a dirty chain - check here for more info:
    > http://www.fagan.co.za/Bikes/Csuck

    Good call, Looks like I'll be replacing a few parts.. Worn/bent teeth, twisted chain and the front
    mech looks out of shape as well.

  4. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Gyp wrote:

    > Good call, Looks like I'll be replacing a few parts.. Worn/bent teeth, twisted chain and the front
    > mech looks out of shape as well.

    Ouch. You can try bending the chain back in to shape and then loosening the links, but be careful of
    running old chain / new chainrings (and vice versa), or you'll end up with the same problems.

    Front mechs can look like they're out of shape, but a lot of the time they're just like that. If it
    really is bent, it can normally be fixed with a pair of pliers.

  5. Gyp

    Gyp Guest

    bomba wrote:
    > Gyp wrote:
    >
    >> Good call, Looks like I'll be replacing a few parts.. Worn/bent teeth, twisted chain and the
    >> front mech looks out of shape as well.
    >

    > Ouch. You can try bending the chain back in to shape and then loosening the links, but be careful
    > of running old chain / new chainrings (and vice versa), or you'll end up with the same problems.
    >
    > Front mechs can look like they're out of shape, but a lot of the time they're just like that. If
    > it really is bent, it can normally be fixed with a pair of pliers.

    I managed to solve the chain suck by "adjustment" of the chain/teeth with a pair of pliers. Saddly I
    then suffered from slipage in low range. Which I figured was a combination of chain stretch and wear
    on the chainset.

    Admiting defeat I took it down to my local friendly shop where they confirmed that it was a pigs ear
    and I replaced the lot (chainset, cassette, chain and the front derailler+cable) for 80 quid (parts
    and labour).

    Then in the classic fashion of a bloke with nice shiny new bits on his bike finaly got the nerve up
    to buy a set of clipless pedals.. Tried em out this afternoon.. Scary but I can see what the fuss is
    about.. If only I hadn't shown my girlfriend how easy it is to detach my right foot and try and rest
    on my left <Doh>. Oh well at least I don't scar easily.. <Shrug>

    <Chuckle>

    Gyp

  6. Superslinky

    Superslinky Guest

    Gyp said...

    > Then in the classic fashion of a bloke with nice shiny new bits on his bike finaly got the nerve
    > up to buy a set of clipless pedals.. Tried em out this afternoon.. Scary but I can see what the
    > fuss is about.. If only I hadn't shown my girlfriend how easy it is to detach my right foot and
    > try and rest on my left <Doh>. Oh well at least I don't scar easily.. <Shrug>
    >
    > <Chuckle>
    >
    > Gyp

    I got my first set of clipless pedals recently too. My impressions were about the same as yours.
    I was very surprised by how much more power I could put to the pedals, but I just don't think
    they are suitable for all riding conditions. I was doing very well about learning to clip in and
    out, but then a car cut me off and I don't see how a person would be able to always get out of
    them in emergency situations. I plan to save mine for longer rides only and keep my platforms on
    most of the time.

  7. SuperSlinky wrote:
    > Gyp said...
    >

    >>Then in the classic fashion of a bloke with nice shiny new bits on his bike finaly got the nerve
    >>up to buy a set of clipless pedals.. Tried em out this afternoon.. Scary but I can see what the
    >>fuss is about.. If only I hadn't shown my girlfriend how easy it is to detach my right foot and
    >>try and rest on my left <Doh>. Oh well at least I don't scar easily.. <Shrug>
    >>
    >><Chuckle>
    >>
    >>Gyp
    >

    > I got my first set of clipless pedals recently too. My impressions were about the same as yours. I
    > was very surprised by how much more power I could put to the pedals, but I just don't think they
    > are suitable for all riding conditions. I was doing very well about learning to clip in and out,
    > but then a car cut me off and I don't see how a person would be able to always get out of them in
    > emergency situations. I plan to save mine for longer rides only and keep my platforms on most of
    > the time.

    It becomes second nature. You know how you get used to pulling backwards out of toe clip pedals?
    Same thing with clipless, except you get used the the clip. Every once in a while I still topple
    over sideways when I get stalled on a hill and unclip the wrong foot first, but those occasions are
    few and far between, and getting fewer. The only thing I wouldnt' use them for is big air jumping
    stuff - even a lot of the downhill racers use them now.

    Jon Bond

  8. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Gyp wrote:

    > Admiting defeat I took it down to my local friendly shop where they confirmed that it was a pigs
    > ear and I replaced the lot (chainset, cassette, chain and the front derailler+cable) for 80 quid
    > (parts and labour).

    That's not bad at all. Glad you got it sorted.

    > Then in the classic fashion of a bloke with nice shiny new bits on his bike finaly got the nerve
    > up to buy a set of clipless pedals.. Tried em out this afternoon.. Scary but I can see what the
    > fuss is about.. If only I hadn't shown my girlfriend how easy it is to detach my right foot and
    > try and rest on my left <Doh>. Oh well at least I don't scar easily.. <Shrug>

    Ah, get used to it. When you first start, you will fall off a fair bit until it becomes natural.
    Best to keep practising on grass to start with.

    Good luck.

    Whereabouts in the UK are you, BTW?

  9. Superslinky

    Superslinky Guest

    Jonathan Bond said...

    > It becomes second nature. You know how you get used to pulling backwards out of toe clip pedals?
    > Same thing with clipless, except you get used the the clip. Every once in a while I still topple
    > over sideways when I get stalled on a hill and unclip the wrong foot first, but those occasions
    > are few and far between, and getting fewer. The only thing I wouldnt' use them for is big air
    > jumping stuff - even a lot of the downhill racers use them now.
    >
    > Jon Bond

    I never liked toe clips at all, mainly because it was too much trouble to get into them. The pedal
    would always be pointing in a ridiculous upside down position. Bah. I used BMX pedals for years,
    because they had the grip and big, stable platform that I wanted. Mountain bike pedals were all
    clipless or those scrawny caged things that don't have enough grip. Quite a few online stores still
    list their big platform pedals in the BMX section. I guess I was ahead of my time, cuz now lots of
    mountain bikers use the big platforms. When I went looking for clipless, I wanted a set with a big
    platform so I could use them with regular shoes if I wanted to. After reading all the reviews, I
    concluded that there was no pedal that did clipless and platform well at the same time. Azonic makes
    their A-frame clipless, but they are expensive and you have to remove the platform to use them as
    clipless. I figured that was no better than just changing pedals, so I got a set of WTB MP250s and a
    set of Sun-ringle Mag Octanes. With these and a pedal wrench, I have the best of both worlds.

  10. Gyp

    Gyp Guest

    bomba wrote:
    > Gyp wrote:
    <Repair snipped>

    > That's not bad at all. Glad you got it sorted.

    Wellington Trek (Sunningdale, Berks) is a well friendly shop, I've more than once gone in there with
    a query and they've given me advice on how to fix it either free or at low cost.

    <Clipless pedals snipped>

    > Ah, get used to it. When you first start, you will fall off a fair bit until it becomes natural.
    > Best to keep practising on grass to start with.

    Well I went for my first short cycle tonight after work and it feels like I'm riding a new bike (But
    then I did replace most of the drivetrain!! <Chuckle>) no problems with the clips but then I would
    imagine that problems come when your not thinking!!!.

    > Good luck.
    >
    > Whereabouts in the UK are you, BTW?

    I live in Ascot.. So I cycle on a regular basis in Great Windsor park, Chobham common and Swinley
    Forest. Don't feel quite brave enough to go and meet the local club B.O.B (Berks on Bikes) but I
    dare say I will sometime later this year.

    How about yourself?

    Gyp

  11. Greg Terry

    Greg Terry Guest

    "I plan to save mine for longer rides only and keep my platforms on most of the time."

    Are they that easy to switch back and forth? Do you need a special tool?

  12. Gyp

    Gyp Guest

    Greg Terry wrote:
    > "I plan to save mine for longer rides only and keep my platforms on most of the time."
    >
    > Are they that easy to switch back and forth? Do you need a special tool?

    Wrench!

  13. "Gyp" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Greg Terry wrote:
    > > "I plan to save mine for longer rides only and keep my platforms on most
    of
    > > the time."
    > >
    > > Are they that easy to switch back and forth? Do you need a special
    tool?

    > Wrench!

    Or wrenches, if you have Time ATACs. (Hex and pedal wrenches)

  14. Superslinky

    Superslinky Guest

    Greg Terry said...

    > "I plan to save mine for longer rides only and keep my platforms on most of the time."
    >
    > Are they that easy to switch back and forth? Do you need a special tool?

    It takes less that 5 minutes. Just about any wrench will do. I keep the threads greased to minimize
    wear and tear on the cranks.

  15. Gyp

    Gyp Guest

    SuperSlinky wrote:
    >>Are they that easy to switch back and forth? Do you need a special tool?
    >

    > It takes less that 5 minutes. Just about any wrench will do. I keep the threads greased to
    > minimize wear and tear on the cranks.

    Don't forget the left hand pedal is reverse threaded so they both are loosened and tightened in the
    same direction. (normal direction is clockwise to tighten and anti-clockwise to loosen). <Chuckle

  16. Superslinky

    Superslinky Guest

    Gyp said...

    > Don't forget the left hand pedal is reverse threaded so they both are loosened and tightened in
    > the same direction. (normal direction is clockwise to tighten and anti-clockwise to loosen).
    > <Chuckle>

    How could I forget that? It would be hard to get them on and off if you didn't know that.