chain cleaning advice?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by The 70'S, May 9, 2003.

  1. The 70'S

    The 70'S Guest

    I was reading the post about chain cleaning, and there's no advice on the best way to clean one, so
    I thought I'd repost the question. Any good advice on cleaning and lubrication? (I have a power jet
    wash, is this a good thing to use to get the crap out?)

    Tags:

  2. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    The 70's <[email protected]> wrote in message news:bJMua.6550$J%[email protected]...
    > I was reading the post about chain cleaning, and there's no advice on the best way to clean one,
    > so I thought I'd repost the question. Any good advice on cleaning and lubrication? (I have a power
    > jet wash, is this a good thing to use to get the crap
    out?)

    Remove chain (if it is an Sram chain, using the powerlink. If it's not an Sram chain, get one!).

    Drop chain and p/link into a lidded container. Add solvent (most here say to use a relatively inert
    solvent so that you don't explode yourself. Me, I use good old petrol and a heavy dose of common
    sense). Put lid on, swirl/shake and leave to stand for as long as you have/wish. Pick up the
    container when you want the chain back and shake again, vigorously, remove chain. At this point
    either leave it to dry, or, as I usually do, give it a wash with dishwash detergent and hot water,
    then dry it _thoroughly_. Re-lube the chain, wipe off excess lube and re-fit.

    Works for me!

    Shaun aRe - Of course, you need to think and not be _dumb_ before using petroleum spirit in this
    manner - do not leave in a warm place or the evaporation may cause the lid to blow off,
    etsuckingfetera.

  3. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Shaun Rimmer wrote:

    > Shaun aRe - Of course, you need to think and not be _dumb_ before using petroleum spirit in this
    > manner - do not leave in a warm place or the evaporation may cause the lid to blow off,
    > etsuckingfetera.

    The idea of Shaun telling people not to be stupid, seems to be akin to Hitler telling people not to
    be naughty...

    ;~p

  4. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    >
    > > Shaun aRe - Of course, you need to think and not be _dumb_ before using petroleum spirit in this
    > > manner - do not leave in a warm place or the evaporation may cause the lid to blow off,
    > > etsuckingfetera.
    >
    > The idea of Shaun telling people not to be stupid, seems to be akin to Hitler telling people not
    > to be naughty...
    >
    > ;~p

    My stupidity is well documented, as are my wisdom and common sense - I've never 'sploded myself with
    petrol fumes. In fact, there are a very many much stupid things I haven't done................

    Shaun aRe - 'yet'...........

  5. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Shaun Rimmer <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > The 70's <[email protected]> wrote in message news:bJMua.6550$J%[email protected]...
    > > I was reading the post about chain cleaning, and there's no advice on
    the
    > > best way to clean one, so I thought I'd repost the question. Any good advice on cleaning and
    > > lubrication? (I have a power jet wash, is this a good thing to use to get the crap
    > out?)
    >
    > Remove chain (if it is an Sram chain, using the powerlink. If it's not an Sram chain, get one!).
    >
    > Drop chain and p/link into a lidded container. Add solvent (most here say
    > use a relatively inert solvent so that you don't explode yourself. Me, I
    use
    > good old petrol and a heavy dose of common sense). Put lid on, swirl/shake and leave to stand for
    > as long as you have/wish. Pick up the container
    when
    > you want the chain back and shake again, vigorously, remove chain. At this point either leave it
    > to dry, or, as I usually do, give it a wash with dishwash detergent and hot water, then dry it
    > _thoroughly_. Re-lube the chain, wipe off excess lube and re-fit.
    >
    > Works for me!
    >

    > Shaun aRe - Of course, you need to think and not be _dumb_ before using petroleum spirit in this
    > manner - do not leave in a warm place or the evaporation may cause the lid to blow off,
    > etsuckingfetera.

    P.s. - http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en

    You can search google news groups - just go to that page, put a.m-b in the groups box, search by
    subject. It'll save you a lot of time in future.

    Shaun aRe

  6. >I was reading the post about chain cleaning, and there's no advice on the best way to clean one, so
    >I thought I'd repost the question. Any good advice on cleaning and lubrication? (I have a power jet
    >wash, is this a good thing to use to get the crap out?)

    Just use powerlink lube on a new chain. A quick washdown, followed by a reapplication, followed by a
    wipe is all it takes to keep a drivetrain clean if you use this stuff. It's really pretty amazing. I
    also find my chains last longer with it.

    Pricepoint carries it if your LBS doesn't.

    Cheers,

    -Andrew Thorne

  7. Mx-Pilot

    Mx-Pilot Guest

    \ \

    powerwash, if u got any engine degreaser or the likes in your garage then put it on first, u can't
    damage a chain, perhaps if you put degreaser on paint for half hour u might but..

    ive never done any harm