chain cleaning advice?

The 70'S

Guest
I was reading the post about chain cleaning, and there's no advice on the best way to clean one, so
I thought I'd repost the question. Any good advice on cleaning and lubrication? (I have a power jet
wash, is this a good thing to use to get the **** out?)

The 70's <[email protected]> wrote in message news:bJMua.6550$J%[email protected]...
> I was reading the post about chain cleaning, and there's no advice on the best way to clean one,
> so I thought I'd repost the question. Any good advice on cleaning and lubrication? (I have a power
> jet wash, is this a good thing to use to get the ****
out?)

Remove chain (if it is an Sram chain, using the powerlink. If it's not an Sram chain, get one!).

Drop chain and p/link into a lidded container. Add solvent (most here say to use a relatively inert
solvent so that you don't explode yourself. Me, I use good old petrol and a heavy dose of common
sense). Put lid on, swirl/shake and leave to stand for as long as you have/wish. Pick up the
container when you want the chain back and shake again, vigorously, remove chain. At this point
either leave it to dry, or, as I usually do, give it a wash with dishwash detergent and hot water,
then dry it _thoroughly_. Re-lube the chain, wipe off excess lube and re-fit.

Works for me!

Shaun aRe - Of course, you need to think and not be _dumb_ before using petroleum spirit in this
manner - do not leave in a warm place or the evaporation may cause the lid to blow off,
etsuckingfetera.

> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
>
> > Shaun aRe - Of course, you need to think and not be _dumb_ before using petroleum spirit in this
> > manner - do not leave in a warm place or the evaporation may cause the lid to blow off,
> > etsuckingfetera.
>
> The idea of Shaun telling people not to be stupid, seems to be akin to ****** telling people not
> to be naughty...
>
> ;~p

My stupidity is well documented, as are my wisdom and common sense - I've never 'sploded myself with
petrol fumes. In fact, there are a very many much stupid things I haven't done................

Shaun aRe - 'yet'...........

Shaun Rimmer <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> The 70's <[email protected]> wrote in message news:bJMua.6550$J%[email protected]...
> > I was reading the post about chain cleaning, and there's no advice on
the
> > best way to clean one, so I thought I'd repost the question. Any good advice on cleaning and
> > lubrication? (I have a power jet wash, is this a good thing to use to get the ****
> out?)
>
> Remove chain (if it is an Sram chain, using the powerlink. If it's not an Sram chain, get one!).
>
> Drop chain and p/link into a lidded container. Add solvent (most here say
> use a relatively inert solvent so that you don't explode yourself. Me, I
use
> good old petrol and a heavy dose of common sense). Put lid on, swirl/shake and leave to stand for
> as long as you have/wish. Pick up the container
when
> you want the chain back and shake again, vigorously, remove chain. At this point either leave it
> to dry, or, as I usually do, give it a wash with dishwash detergent and hot water, then dry it
> _thoroughly_. Re-lube the chain, wipe off excess lube and re-fit.
>
> Works for me!
>

> Shaun aRe - Of course, you need to think and not be _dumb_ before using petroleum spirit in this
> manner - do not leave in a warm place or the evaporation may cause the lid to blow off,
> etsuckingfetera.

P.s. - http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en

You can search google news groups - just go to that page, put a.m-b in the groups box, search by
subject. It'll save you a lot of time in future.

Shaun aRe

>I was reading the post about chain cleaning, and there's no advice on the best way to clean one, so
>I thought I'd repost the question. Any good advice on cleaning and lubrication? (I have a power jet
>wash, is this a good thing to use to get the **** out?)

Just use powerlink lube on a new chain. A quick washdown, followed by a reapplication, followed by a
wipe is all it takes to keep a drivetrain clean if you use this stuff. It's really pretty amazing. I
also find my chains last longer with it.

Pricepoint carries it if your LBS doesn't.

Cheers,

-Andrew Thorne

\ \

powerwash, if u got any engine degreaser or the likes in your garage then put it on first, u can't
damage a chain, perhaps if you put degreaser on paint for half hour u might but..

ive never done any harm