Chain cleaning for poor people

Doug Kanter

Guest
Not-so-hypothetical situation: After driving all day with a bike in the back of my pickup, the chain
is sometimes dirty, just from highway dust, or perhaps that and a combination of that and whatever
it picked up during the last few bike rides.

Between fishing and boating, I've already got too damn many little maintenance toys stashed
under/behind the seats. Do I really need one of the fancy chain cleaning gadgets I see at bike
shops, or is an old toothbrush and a can of spray silicone enough to rinse off dirt? I'm assuming
that sometimes, I'll need to clean the chain in a place where I have no access to a garden hose.
Matter of fact, I live in an apartment. I *never* have access to a garden hose. -Doug

"Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:
> Between fishing and boating, I've already got too damn many little maintenance toys stashed
> under/behind the seats. Do I really need one of the fancy chain cleaning gadgets I see at bike
> shops, or is an old toothbrush and a can of spray silicone enough to rinse off dirt?

I've heard of people cleaning their chains with a sponge and toothbrush. I don't see how this can
clean the inside of the chain (what really matters). My method is to take the chain off the bike and
put it in an empty plastic bottle (e.g., a 1L or 2L soda bottle). Add an inch or so of your favorite
degreaser and shake for a minute. Let the chain soak for another minute, then shake again. If the
chain was really dirty, repeat once. Depending on the degreaser you used, you may need to rinse with
water. Oil the chain and put it back on the bike. Used degreaser is toxic waste, so treat it
accordingly.

"Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Not-so-hypothetical situation: After driving all day with a bike in the
back
> of my pickup, the chain is sometimes dirty, just from highway dust, or perhaps that and a
> combination of that and whatever it picked up during
the
> last few bike rides.
>
> Between fishing and boating, I've already got too damn many little maintenance toys stashed
> under/behind the seats. Do I really need one of
the
> fancy chain cleaning gadgets I see at bike shops, or is an old toothbrush and a can of spray
> silicone enough to rinse off dirt? I'm assuming that sometimes, I'll need to clean the chain in a
> place where I have no access
> a garden hose. Matter of fact, I live in an apartment. I *never* have
access
> to a garden hose. -Doug

Spin the chain while holding it lightly in a rag well moistened with degreaser, rinse with water
from a spray bottle, let dry, relube.

Bob Garrison writes:

> Spin the chain while holding it lightly in a rag well moistened with degreaser, rinse with water
> from a spray bottle, let dry, relube.

I assume you mean with the chain on the bicycle. Yes that will do a cosmetic cleanup but it will not
clean the chain, there where the action is... inside the chain. Chains wear and become longer
because the internal hinge pins and sleeves wear. This is inside the chain, not on the surface that
can be wiped. Adding lubricant to a dirty chain only washes grit to where it can do damage and there
is plenty of grit that can't be wiped away but is not yet in the hinge pins.

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8d.2.html

> Bob Garrison writes:
>
> > Spin the chain while holding it lightly in a rag well moistened with degreaser, rinse with water
> > from a spray bottle, let dry, relube.
>
> I assume you mean with the chain on the bicycle. Yes that will do a cosmetic cleanup but it will
> not clean the chain, there where the action is... inside the chain. Chains wear and become longer
> because the internal hinge pins and sleeves wear. This is inside the chain, not on the surface
> that can be wiped. Adding lubricant to a dirty chain only washes grit to where it can do damage
> and there is plenty of grit that can't be wiped away but is not yet in the hinge pins.
>
> http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8d.2.html

It works for me. My chains last appox. 2000 miles.

Bob Garrison writes:

>>> Spin the chain while holding it lightly in a rag well moistened with degreaser, rinse with water
>>> from a spray bottle, let dry, relube.

>> I assume you mean with the chain on the bicycle. Yes that will do a cosmetic cleanup but it will
>> not clean the chain, there where the action is... inside the chain. Chains wear and become longer
>> because the internal hinge pins and sleeves wear. This is inside the chain, not on the surface
>> that can be wiped. Adding lubricant to a dirty chain only washes grit to where it can do damage
>> and there is plenty of grit that can't be wiped away but is not yet in the hinge pins.

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8d.2.html

> It works for me. My chains last appox. 2000 miles.

Nice but my chains last 10,000mi+ and I clean them inside (as well as out). In the old days, of real
chains, they lasted 20,000 miles.

> >> I assume you mean with the chain on the bicycle. Yes that will do a cosmetic cleanup but it
> >> will not clean the chain, there where the action is... inside the chain. Chains wear and become
> >> longer because the internal hinge pins and sleeves wear. This is inside the chain, not on the
> >> surface that can be wiped. Adding lubricant to a dirty chain only washes grit to where it can
> >> do damage and there is plenty of grit that can't be wiped away but is not yet in the hinge
> >> pins.
>
> http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8d.2.html
>
> > It works for me. My chains last appox. 2000 miles.
>
> Nice but my chains last 10,000mi+ and I clean them inside (as well as out). In the old days, of
> real chains, they lasted 20,000 miles.

That's fine, but chains are cheap and I'd rather not spend my time cleaning them any more than
necessary.

"Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Do I really need one of the fancy chain cleaning gadgets I see at bike shops,

No, and in fact, these break (at least the one I tried out) after a few uses.

> or is an old toothbrush and a can of spray silicone enough to rinse off dirt?

Ken suggested the soaking method, but I am of the old toothbrush school. I use an old toothbrush,
some rags, Q-tips, and degreaser.

I am not sure what your silicone spray is for.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky ([email protected]) Home of the meditative cyclist:

On Fri, 02 May 2003 16:09:10 +0000, Doug Kanter wrote:

> Between fishing and boating, I've already got too damn many little maintenance toys stashed
> under/behind the seats. Do I really need one of the fancy chain cleaning gadgets I see at
> bike shops,

No.

> or is an old toothbrush and a can of spray silicone enough to rinse off dirt?

Not even that. Get a soda. Drink it. Use the bottle. Put kerosene in the bottle. Don't drink that.
take chain off bike -- helpful to have those super-links for this, but however you have to go. slide
chain in bottle. Put cap on, and shake. Take chain out -- which may require destroying soda bottle,
but you wanted another one anyway. Swing the chain in a circle over your head -- outside -- then let
it dry. Oil. Put back on bike.

Those scrubber dohickeys do not nearly as well as this process, for only several times the cost of
the kerosene and the soda. The big savings is not having to take the chain off the bike. If that is
a problem, then go with it, but other than that I see no reason for it.

I'm assuming that
> sometimes, I'll need to clean the chain in a place where I have no access to a garden hose. Matter
> of fact, I live in an apartment. I *never* have access to a garden hose.

Garden hoses -- that is, water -- is not too good to use on a chain. It won't get the greasy
dirt out, and will leave a lot of water behind that will take a while to evaporate, and will
rust the chain.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster. --Greg LeMond _`\(,_ | (_)/ (_) |

In article <[email protected]>,
"Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> writes:

> Matter of fact, I live in an apartment. I *never* have access to a garden hose.

In that case, I'd do the degreaser-in-a-pop-bottle thing.

I think kerosene is too stinky to use in an apartment.

cheers, Tom