Chain Clearance "New" Trek 2200

kcstueber

Sep 2, 2003
I just purchased this bike for my wife in the WSD version, and as a habit, was going over the bike closely to check for assembly errors from the LBS. I found a couple of things, one easy to fix, the front derailer cable was not in the BB guide, properly, and the second, when in the big chain ring and small gear, the chain makes contact on the weld where the drop-out is attached to the frame. Ther contact is enough to feel and hear it when on the stand, and of course it has gone through the paint where it is touching. I would appreciate any expert opinions on how I should handle this issue, and or how much of an issue is it?

Thanks for all of the replies.

I would contact the LBS and ask them what direction to go in. I know that TREK does all repairs throught their dealer network.

I had a broblem with a weld on one of my Bontrager rims that came on my 2300. I contacted TREK for advise and they told me to contact my dealer.

I ended up filing it myself (bump on the braking surface) wanted to ride instead of taking it in for repair/replacment.

I would definitely contact the LBS immediately. Here's why:

If they tell you to continue riding it and not worry about it - and the frame fails, they'll know there was an issue initially and will more than happilly file the warranty with Trek with no scepticism.

Also, they ought to think to make a quick call to their inside rep while you're there and make sure that Trek says it's alright ton continue riding.

There is usually enough material back there that even if you were to file it down to get additional clearance you won't have any issues - however, just for safety's sake, I'd let the LBS do the filing.

Good luck.

Originally posted by PSR
I would definitely contact the LBS immediately. Here's why:

If they tell you to continue riding it and not worry about it - and the frame fails, they'll know there was an issue initially and will more than happilly file the warranty with Trek with no scepticism.

Also, they ought to think to make a quick call to their inside rep while you're there and make sure that Trek says it's alright ton continue riding.

There is usually enough material back there that even if you were to file it down to get additional clearance you won't have any issues - however, just for safety's sake, I'd let the LBS do the filing.

Good luck.

Agree the customer shouldn't have to file anything on a new frame; in fact, have to wonder why the LBS sold the bike if the chain was grinding in top gear. I test road the new 2300 with carbon rear stay, and loved the ride. But, these two reports above don't make me confident about the quality of the frame or the wheels. Guess issues can happen with any high-volume product........but the Trek dealers ought to be fixing them before delivery. We're talking $2000 bicycles here, not Walmart specials!

Dan