Chain compatibility question

BruceA

Guest
Hi all. Hope someone can help me out with this query?

I need to replace the chain on my mountain bike which has a Shimano 7 speed
cassette. Cannot remember what level componentry it is, Deore LX I think.
I bought a couple of spare chains from PBK for my road bike which has a 9
speed cassette (Ultegra) and was wondering if one of these chains would work
ok on my mountain bike, or do I need to buy another chain designed for 7
speed?

BruceA

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 14:45:49 +0800, BruceA wrote:

> I bought a couple of spare chains from PBK for my road bike which
> has a 9 speed cassette (Ultegra) and was wondering if one of these chains
> would work ok on my mountain bike, or do I need to buy another chain
> designed for 7 speed?

You might get some shifting issues because the chain is narrower, but it
should work OK. Given that an OK 8 sp chain (Wipperman 800) is only about
$30 I'd suggest saving the good chain for later though

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
"Good Night Wesley, see you tomorrow. I'll most likely kill you in the

BruceA said:
Hi all. Hope someone can help me out with this query?

I need to replace the chain on my mountain bike which has a Shimano 7 speed
cassette. Cannot remember what level componentry it is, Deore LX I think.
I bought a couple of spare chains from PBK for my road bike which has a 9
speed cassette (Ultegra) and was wondering if one of these chains would work
ok on my mountain bike, or do I need to buy another chain designed for 7
speed?

BruceA

I find I can generally get away with a lot. I run a 9 speed chain (Sachs PC69 I think) over a 7 speed Sachs cluster/ Shimano chain rings (LX I think) using a Campag 8 speed ergo lever/ veloce rear deral, suntour ARX front. I'm happy with the way it all works. I think the changing improved when I went from my previous 7 speed chain to a 9 speed.

Rory W

New Shimano HG40 chains handle 6-7-8 speeds & retail for about $22.
Steve