chain compatibility with race face chainrings

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by hgrt225, Apr 7, 2003.

  1. hgrt225

    hgrt225 Guest

    I recently installed a set of race face chainrings (hyper c, 8 spd, 20-32-42, compact set) replacing
    the original shimano set. The bike has an LX system.

    Also replaced the chain with a new shimano IG70 (recommended by a bike shop) but there's
    unacceptable slippage on the race face rings. Tried a new shimano HG91 chain also with slippage. I
    did count links before installing both.

    I had to re-install the original chain (I believe is an HG70) which allows me to ride but it will
    still slip with hard cranking. The original chain is at about the 1/16" wear point. I've haven't
    noticed significant slippage on the freewheels.

    What 8 spd chains are compatibile with the race face rings? Or should I try to get another HG70.

    Chris

    Tags:

  2. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    | I recently installed a set of race face chainrings (hyper c, 8 spd, 20-32-42, compact set)
    | replacing the original shimano set. The bike has an LX system.
    |
    | Also replaced the chain with a new shimano IG70 (recommended by a bike shop) but there's
    | unacceptable slippage on the race face rings. Tried a new shimano HG91 chain also with slippage. I
    | did count links before installing both.
    |
    | I had to re-install the original chain (I believe is an HG70) which allows me to ride but it will
    | still slip with hard cranking. The original chain is at about the 1/16" wear point. I've haven't
    | noticed significant slippage on the freewheels.
    |
    | What 8 spd chains are compatibile with the race face rings? Or should I try to get another HG70.

    SRAM PC-58 or 68. I run 110 pattern 8s RF rings with the former, no problems. (BTW, I don't think
    there is such a thing as "acceptable" slippage!) :0)

    Hmmm, the more I think about it. Have somebody watch you as you ride. Are you definitely getting
    slippage at the crank? It is very hard to tell where the slipping feeling is coming from and in
    another thread I mentioned that a new chain can reveal a worn cassette. Most of the time when you
    feel slippage, its at the cassette (to the point I couldn't figure out a certain bikes problem -
    worn chainrings - until somebody watched what the bike was doing from the side.) Chainrings normally
    slip when they wear, with the gap between the teeth getting wider and causing the chain to ride up
    on the teeth.

    One thing about RF rings. They are thick and stout (I like that!) and they feel a bit rough when
    brand new. A little breaking in takes care of that.

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 4/1/2003

  3. Are you sure it's slipping at the rings? If you switched the rings and chain, it may be the
    cassette. See if you can get the LBS to check that. Then make sure you test ride before
    leaving the shop.

    news:[email protected]...

  4. On Mon, 07 Apr 2003 04:08:19 +0000, Nelson Binch wrote:

    > | Also replaced the chain with a new shimano IG70 (recommended by a bike shop) but there's
    > | unacceptable slippage on the race face rings.

    Are these rings new? If not, it is often hard to tell whether or not they are worn out. It sounds
    like they are.

    > | I had to re-install the original chain (I believe is an HG70) which allows me to ride but it
    > | will still slip with hard cranking.

    Improved behavior with the old chain also suggests worn-out rings.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Accept risk. Accept responsibility. Put a lawyer out of _`\(,_ | business. (_)/ (_) |

  5. John G

    John G Guest

    I'd bet my $$$ on the cassette slipping before it being a problem w/ the chain-rings or chain.

  6. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    | David L. Johnson

    | __o | Accept risk. Accept responsibility. Put a lawyer out of _`\(,_ | business. (_)/ (_) |

    Something looks familiar. I just can't put my finger on it! :)

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 4/1/2003

  7. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "John G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > I'd bet my $$$ on the cassette slipping before it being a problem w/ the chain-rings or chain.

    I agree, but only when he confirms that the RF rings are NEW.

    Bill "when is a deal not?" S.

  8. [email protected] wrote:
    > I recently installed a set of race face chainrings (hyper c, 8 spd, 20-32-42, compact set)
    > replacing the original shimano set. The bike has an LX system.
    >
    > Also replaced the chain with a new shimano IG70 (recommended by a bike shop) but there's
    > unacceptable slippage on the race face rings. Tried a new shimano HG91 chain also with slippage. I
    > did count links before installing both.
    >
    > I had to re-install the original chain (I believe is an HG70) which allows me to ride but it will
    > still slip with hard cranking. The original chain is at about the 1/16" wear point. I've haven't
    > noticed significant slippage on the freewheels.
    >
    > What 8 spd chains are compatibile with the race face rings? Or should I try to get another HG70.
    >
    > Chris

    If those "recently installed" rings are new, then 10:1 its the cassette thats worn. Thats why the
    older chan seems to work better - the slipping isn't at the chainrings, its at the cassette. The old
    chain interfaces better with the cassette, and even though it doesn't interface as well with the
    chainrings, it sitll holds up.

    a new cassette witih the new rings and new chain will fix everything up nicely. Some people
    recommend having 3 chains and rotating them - but you really need to use a powerlink or other
    mechanical chain connector if you do.

    Jon Bond

  9. hgrt225

    hgrt225 Guest

    On Mon, 7 Apr 2003 04:08:19 -0400, "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote:

    ><[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >|
    >| I recently installed a set of race face chainrings (hyper c, 8 spd, 20-32-42, compact set)
    >| replacing the original shimano set. The bike has an LX system.
    >|
    >| What 8 spd chains are compatibile with the race face rings? Or should I try to get another HG70.
    >
    >SRAM PC-58 or 68. I run 110 pattern 8s RF rings with the former, no problems. (BTW, I don't think
    >there is such a thing as "acceptable" slippage!) :0)

    Yes, you're right. I thought about the term "unacceptable slippage" after I had posted. It should
    have been written "chain slip with moderate force" (i.e. speed burst on flat pavement).

    >Hmmm, the more I think about it. Have somebody watch you as you ride. Are you definitely getting
    >slippage at the crank? It is very hard to tell where the slipping feeling is coming from and in
    >another thread I mentioned that a new chain can reveal a worn cassette. Most of the time when you
    >feel slippage, its at the cassette (to the point I couldn't figure out a certain bikes problem -
    >worn chainrings - until somebody watched what the bike was doing from the side.) Chainrings
    >normally slip when they wear, with the gap between the teeth getting wider and causing the chain to
    >ride up on the teeth.

    Slippage at the cassette was my first guess. The RF rings were brand new. The chain was brand new.
    Well then, it must be the cassette, huh? Like you said though, it's difficult to tell. Slippage
    happens so quickly. I verified it was ring slippage by locking the wheel and applying pedal pressure
    from off the bike where I could watch the whole drive train. And like you described, as pedal
    pressure increased, the chain progressively pulled away from the teeth until the crank turned but
    the chain stayed put. The cassette may very well be a problem also. But with the chainring slippage,
    it's difficult to determine. I'll try your recommendation of an SRAM chain.

    Chris

    >One thing about RF rings. They are thick and stout (I like that!) and they feel a bit rough when
    >brand new. A little breaking in takes care of that.
    >

    >---
    > __o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest, just details. Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
    > http://intergalax.com

    >Release Date: 4/1/2003

  10. hgrt225

    hgrt225 Guest

    On Mon, 07 Apr 2003 09:22:22 -0400, "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Mon, 07 Apr 2003 04:08:19 +0000, Nelson Binch wrote:
    >
    >> | Also replaced the chain with a new shimano IG70 (recommended by a bike shop) but there's
    >> | unacceptable slippage on the race face rings.
    >
    >Are these rings new? If not, it is often hard to tell whether or not they are worn out. It sounds
    >like they are.

    Yes, the RF rings are (were) brand new. The IG70 and HG91 chains were also brand new. I did verify
    it was chainring slippage not cassette (see my other post).

    >> | I had to re-install the original chain (I believe is an HG70) which allows me to ride but it
    >> | will still slip with hard cranking.

    I've been riding very conservatively to avoid slippage. But I'm concerned that the old worn chain
    will take a quick toll on my once new RF rings. trying to find a compatible chain asap - SRAM was
    recommended

    Chris

    >Improved behavior with the old chain also suggests worn-out rings.

  11. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > [email protected] wrote:
    > > I recently installed a set of race face chainrings (hyper c, 8 spd, 20-32-42, compact set)
    > > replacing the original shimano set. The bike has an LX system.
    > >
    > > Also replaced the chain with a new shimano IG70 (recommended by a bike shop) but there's
    > > unacceptable slippage on the race face rings. Tried a new shimano HG91 chain also with slippage.
    > > I did count links before installing both.
    > >
    > > I had to re-install the original chain (I believe is an HG70) which allows me to ride but it
    > > will still slip with hard cranking. The original chain is at about the 1/16" wear point. I've
    > > haven't noticed significant slippage on the freewheels.
    > >
    > > What 8 spd chains are compatibile with the race face rings? Or should I try to get another HG70.
    > >
    > > Chris

    I haven't had much like with raceface rings, never slippage though, I was always getting the
    chain sucked up in their shift ramps. I finally couldn't take it anymore and ground the ramps
    off the middle ring, no more problems after that. Went to Black Spire the next time, no problem
    there either.

    --

  12. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Chris Phillipo wrote:

    > I haven't had much like with raceface rings, never slippage though,

    Chris' transition from Vietnamese hooker had gone well, although his old habits sometimes came
    through...