Chain/Cranks compatibility

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by 1id10t, Feb 1, 2006.

1. 1id10t

1id10t New Member

I've recently been upgrading one of my bikes and was wondering whether there would be any issues with my chain and cranks. Currently I have a HG93 chain, Deore cassette and Alivio cranks. I don't usually read the instrctions that come with parts but I was looking through one that I had for the front derailleur and in one section it warned not to use the HG93 chain with any crankset below Deore level. The reason provided was that the chain could suffer premature wear and break. Is this just typical marketing hype designed to make you buy their products or is there some credence to their warning?

Tags:

2. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

HG 93 is the best 9 speed (Shimano) chain. I use it on Sugino (8/9) cranksets with FD-R443 derailleurs. No wear so far. :)

3. 1id10t

1id10t New Member

Hi George,

I paid good money for HG93 so I wouldn't want to get rid of it. I was wondering whether I should change the cranks or whether what I had would be good enough. Doesn't seem to run poorly but it does make a little more noise than it did with the old chain. BTW, the cranks aren't that old either.