Chain for dura ace 8 speed 1994 vintage

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by ART, Jun 24, 2003.

1. ART

ART New Member

I just had my LBS replace my chain. I have been using the original chain since purchase of my bike in late 1994. I have full Dura Ace 8 speed (12-23; 52-39). The old (original) chain seemed to be fine but LBS said it should be replaced. They installed a Hyperglide CN-7700. The new chain now sometimes when coming off of the 52 chainring does not reseat on the 39 chainring and rides between the 52 and the 39 (my chainrings are perfect- never damaged and completely true). It also is not shifting on the cogs as well, also occasionally slipping . Is this the right chain for the 8 speed or should they have used an older model chain. From what I can tell on the internet this seems to be the chain sold for the Dura Ace 9-speed. Any help would be appreciated. I have adjusted the shifter cables and the deraulliers and nothing seems to fully correct the problem. The rear wheel/axel/hub all apear to be perfectly aligned with the bottom bracket/chainrings and nothing is loose.

Art

Tags:

2. maarten

maarten New Member

Chain is indeed intended for 9 speed. As 9 vs 8 speed chains have a width difference it should be better too use another chain(sora or old stock 8speed one). Not shifting properly will be caused by wrong chain and wrong adjustment. Slipping is caused by using old cog's with new chain, 90% f the time new chain should be accompanied by new rear cogs. Seems your LBS messed this up.

3. xavier

xavier New Member

Do not buy a Shimano chain. Buy a SRAM 8s chain and you need to replace your cassette and sounds like the rings as well.

That is the problem with ShimaNO. Parts wear out really fast and it cost more money to maintain.

In the future repalce your chain more often and this way you do not have to replace rings and cassettes so often.

4. ART

ART New Member

Thanks for the info guys.

Art