chain guard

Dan Stromberg

Guest
A while back, I mangled my chain guard by trying to ride my bike in boots. :-S So I pulled it off.

Now, I'm finding that my bike is making holes in literally most of my pants, when they get caught in
between the chain and the gear.

Some time ago, I asked around at some LBS's about getting a replacement, and they more or less told
me I couldn't get one without buying a new bike.

The bike is a Schwinn Moab.

Does anyone know where I can get a chain guard that'll save my pants? I'm in Orange County,
California, but I'd be happy to go mail order too.

Dan Stromberg <[email protected]> wrote in
news:p[email protected]:
> Does anyone know where I can get a chain guard that'll save my pants?

1. roll up your pants leg
2. use a rubber band to hold your pants close to your leg

Chain guards are so fragile that no one uses them any more.

On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 23:28:09 +0000, Ken did issue forth:

>> Does anyone know where I can get a chain guard that'll save my pants?
>
> 1. roll up your pants leg
> 2. use a rubber band to hold your pants close to your leg

<confused Brit> How do you get your pants stuck in your chain? </confused Brit>

It'll make you look really stupid, but sticking your trouser leg in your sock works well too.

"Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 23:28:09 +0000, Ken did issue forth:
>
> >> Does anyone know where I can get a chain guard that'll
save my pants?

> > 1. roll up your pants leg
> > 2. use a rubber band to hold your pants close to your
leg

> <confused Brit> How do you get your pants stuck in your chain? </confused Brit>
>
> It'll make you look really stupid, but sticking your
trouser leg in your
> sock works well too.
>
> --
> Huw Pritchard Replace bounce with huw to reply by mail

Some brown string - the 'hairy' kind - works also, and looks really good, especially with boots.....

Pants Clip. A metal pants clip for your right ankle area can keep your pants from hitting your chain
and getting greasy. You can also use rubber bands, of course.
http://bicycleaustin.info/accessories.html

used to have one a long time ago maybe you can still get them somewhere

"Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Dan Stromberg <[email protected]> wrote in

> news:p[email protected]:
> > Does anyone know where I can get a chain guard that'll
save my pants?

> 1. roll up your pants leg
> 2. use a rubber band to hold your pants close to your leg
>
> Chain guards are so fragile that no one uses them any
more.

That's not true. I remember the chainguards on old Schwinns were practically indestructable. Raleigh
ones were pretty sturdy too.

The reason no one uses them anymore is that practically all bikes have dual derailer drivetrains,
which aren't conducive to chain guards. If more bikes had single speed or internal hub gears, we'd
see more chainguards.

There's also the lightweight appearance fetish that prevents anything extraneous from being added to
bikes, including fenders.

Matt O.

In article <[email protected]>, stu <[email protected]> wrote:
>Pants Clip. A metal pants clip for your right ankle area can keep your pants from hitting your
>chain and getting greasy. You can also use rubber bands, of course.
>http://bicycleaustin.info/accessories.html
>
>used to have one a long time ago maybe you can still get them somewhere

I don't see the metal pants clips too often any more, but it shouldn't be hard to find reflective
velcro bands, like, for example, this:

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=1520&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000-
&langId=-1

--Bruce F.

bianchiusa (not sure of URL) is selling excess stock chainguards used in the Bianchi Milano city
bikes -- very nice, sturdy chainguards, about 25.

art strum

In article <[email protected]>, Arthur Strum
<[email protected]> wrote:

> bianchiusa (not sure of URL) is selling excess stock chainguards used in the Bianchi Milano city
> bikes -- very nice, sturdy chainguards, about 25.

I have a spring-steel leg clip that works ... sometimes, and I've been wanting a chaiguard. I have a
an early 80s Bianchi (now fixie) with 42 tooth sprocket---this'll fit, right?

--
Alexander Browne | [email protected] Saint Paul, Minn., U.S.

"Dan Stromberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> A while back, I mangled my chain guard by trying to ride my bike in boots. :-S So I pulled it off.
>
> Now, I'm finding that my bike is making holes in literally most of my pants, when they get caught
> in between the chain and the gear.
>
> Some time ago, I asked around at some LBS's about getting a replacement, and they more or less
> told me I couldn't get one without buying a new bike.
>
> The bike is a Schwinn Moab.
>
> Does anyone know where I can get a chain guard that'll save my pants? I'm in Orange County,
> California, but I'd be happy to go mail order too.

There's a simple "universal fit" plastic chainring cover from Koolstop ( two sizes, 42 outer or 50
outer). We have 'em as will any competent LBS. By mounting on the extarctor threads, rather than in
the extra holes of the chainring, it will fit nearly all modern cranks.

I find that my slacks drag the chain when the crank is at 9:00, when my ankle is well behind the
chainring. But if you think this will help, they are very available.

Andy Muzi wrote:

> There's a simple "universal fit" plastic chainring cover from Koolstop =
( two
> sizes, 42 outer or 50 outer). We have 'em as will any competent LBS. =
By
> mounting on the extarctor threads, rather than in the extra holes of th=
> chainring, it will fit nearly all modern cranks.
>=20
> I find that my slacks drag the chain when the crank is at 9:00, when my=

> ankle is well behind the chainring. But if you think this will help, th=
ey
> are very available.

I put one of these on my Cannondale ST500 fixed gear a while ago, and=20 was satisfied with it for
quite a while, until I got my pants leg caught =

in the chain and nearly crashed as a result.

Sheldon "Back To Tucking Into My Sock" Brown
| There are 10 kinds of people in this world: | Those who understand the binary system, and those
| who don=92t |
+---------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

stu <[email protected]> wrote:
>Pants Clip. A metal pants clip for your right ankle area can keep your pants from hitting your
>chain and getting greasy.

Bicycle clips are widely available in the UK - I have a set of obnoxiously yellow reflective ones
for the times when I ride in trousers; they also help to prevent wide trouser legs from getting
tangled up with the BB end of the crank at the bottom of the pedal stroke.

I presume you can't get them in the US, though.

On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 12:10:36 -0800, J. Bruce Fields wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, stu <[email protected]> wrote:
>>Pants Clip. A metal pants clip for your right ankle area can keep your pants from hitting your
>>chain and getting greasy. You can also use rubber bands, of course.
>>http://bicycleaustin.info/accessories.html
>>
>>used to have one a long time ago maybe you can still get them somewhere
>
> I don't see the metal pants clips too often any more, but it shouldn't be hard to find reflective
> velcro bands, like, for example, this:
>
> http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=1520&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&-
> langId=-1
>
> --Bruce F.

REI unfortunately has these on back order, but I liked the idea, so I hunted around for something
similar and found these:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/momovelo/swedarrefleg.html

The shipping's a little steep, but they sound nice. Grey in daylight, very bright white at night.

>A while back, I mangled my chain guard by trying to ride my bike in boots. :-S So I pulled it off.
>Now, I'm finding that my bike is making holes in literally most of my pants, when they get caught
>in between the chain and the gear. Some time ago, I asked around at some LBS's about getting a
>replacement, and they more or less told me I couldn't get one without buying a new bike. The bike
>is a Schwinn Moab. Does anyone know where I can get a chain guard that'll save my pants? I'm in
>Orange County, California, but I'd be happy to go mail order too.

You could try getting an 8" strip of double sided velcro and wrap it around your pants leg on the
drivetrain side. That's what I do and I have never gotten my pants caught in the chain. When you are
off the bike, you can also use the velcro strip as a parking brake.
-----------------
Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

> stu <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Pants Clip. A metal pants clip for your right ankle area can keep your
pants
> >from hitting your chain and getting greasy.

"David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:N4b*[email protected]...
> Bicycle clips are widely available in the UK - I have a set of obnoxiously yellow reflective ones
> for the times when I ride in trousers; they also help to prevent wide trouser legs from getting
> tangled up with the BB end of the crank at the bottom of the pedal stroke.
>
> I presume you can't get them in the US, though.

Sure you may. They are quite popular in various styles: Velcro with Reflexite, Velcro without it,
Velcro with a buckle so the end doubles over, round chromed steel as well.

What you _can't_ get any longer are the Terry's clips that look somewhat like a beefy version of a
hairpin and slid vertically up from the bottom of a folded trouser's leg. Not that the others don't
work, but those were interesting.

A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
>"David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>Bicycle clips are widely available in the UK - I have a set of obnoxiously I presume you can't get
>>them in the US, though.
>Sure you may.

In that case the people asking should just get them. :)