chain guard

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dan Stromberg, Mar 22, 2003.

  1. A while back, I mangled my chain guard by trying to ride my bike in boots. :-S So I pulled it off.

    Now, I'm finding that my bike is making holes in literally most of my pants, when they get caught in
    between the chain and the gear.

    Some time ago, I asked around at some LBS's about getting a replacement, and they more or less told
    me I couldn't get one without buying a new bike.

    The bike is a Schwinn Moab.

    Does anyone know where I can get a chain guard that'll save my pants? I'm in Orange County,
    California, but I'd be happy to go mail order too.

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Dan Stromberg <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:p[email protected]:
    > Does anyone know where I can get a chain guard that'll save my pants?

    1. roll up your pants leg
    2. use a rubber band to hold your pants close to your leg

    Chain guards are so fragile that no one uses them any more.

  3. On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 23:28:09 +0000, Ken did issue forth:

    >> Does anyone know where I can get a chain guard that'll save my pants?
    >
    > 1. roll up your pants leg
    > 2. use a rubber band to hold your pants close to your leg

    <confused Brit> How do you get your pants stuck in your chain? </confused Brit>

    It'll make you look really stupid, but sticking your trouser leg in your sock works well too.

  4. Grenouil

    Grenouil Guest

    "Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 23:28:09 +0000, Ken did issue forth:
    >
    > >> Does anyone know where I can get a chain guard that'll
    save my pants?

    > > 1. roll up your pants leg
    > > 2. use a rubber band to hold your pants close to your
    leg

    > <confused Brit> How do you get your pants stuck in your chain? </confused Brit>
    >
    > It'll make you look really stupid, but sticking your
    trouser leg in your
    > sock works well too.
    >
    > --
    > Huw Pritchard Replace bounce with huw to reply by mail

    Some brown string - the 'hairy' kind - works also, and looks really good, especially with boots.....

  5. Stu

    Stu Guest

    Pants Clip. A metal pants clip for your right ankle area can keep your pants from hitting your chain
    and getting greasy. You can also use rubber bands, of course.
    http://bicycleaustin.info/accessories.html

    used to have one a long time ago maybe you can still get them somewhere

  6. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Dan Stromberg <[email protected]> wrote in

    > news:p[email protected]:
    > > Does anyone know where I can get a chain guard that'll
    save my pants?

    > 1. roll up your pants leg
    > 2. use a rubber band to hold your pants close to your leg
    >
    > Chain guards are so fragile that no one uses them any
    more.

    That's not true. I remember the chainguards on old Schwinns were practically indestructable. Raleigh
    ones were pretty sturdy too.

    The reason no one uses them anymore is that practically all bikes have dual derailer drivetrains,
    which aren't conducive to chain guards. If more bikes had single speed or internal hub gears, we'd
    see more chainguards.

    There's also the lightweight appearance fetish that prevents anything extraneous from being added to
    bikes, including fenders.

    Matt O.

  7. In article <[email protected]>, stu <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Pants Clip. A metal pants clip for your right ankle area can keep your pants from hitting your
    >chain and getting greasy. You can also use rubber bands, of course.
    >http://bicycleaustin.info/accessories.html
    >
    >used to have one a long time ago maybe you can still get them somewhere

    I don't see the metal pants clips too often any more, but it shouldn't be hard to find reflective
    velcro bands, like, for example, this:

    http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=1520&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000-
    &langId=-1

    --Bruce F.

  8. Arthur Strum

    Arthur Strum Guest

    bianchiusa (not sure of URL) is selling excess stock chainguards used in the Bianchi Milano city
    bikes -- very nice, sturdy chainguards, about 25.

    art strum

  9. In article <[email protected]>, Arthur Strum
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > bianchiusa (not sure of URL) is selling excess stock chainguards used in the Bianchi Milano city
    > bikes -- very nice, sturdy chainguards, about 25.

    I have a spring-steel leg clip that works ... sometimes, and I've been wanting a chaiguard. I have a
    an early 80s Bianchi (now fixie) with 42 tooth sprocket---this'll fit, right?

    --
    Alexander Browne | [email protected] Saint Paul, Minn., U.S.

  10. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Dan Stromberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > A while back, I mangled my chain guard by trying to ride my bike in boots. :-S So I pulled it off.
    >
    > Now, I'm finding that my bike is making holes in literally most of my pants, when they get caught
    > in between the chain and the gear.
    >
    > Some time ago, I asked around at some LBS's about getting a replacement, and they more or less
    > told me I couldn't get one without buying a new bike.
    >
    > The bike is a Schwinn Moab.
    >
    > Does anyone know where I can get a chain guard that'll save my pants? I'm in Orange County,
    > California, but I'd be happy to go mail order too.

    There's a simple "universal fit" plastic chainring cover from Koolstop ( two sizes, 42 outer or 50
    outer). We have 'em as will any competent LBS. By mounting on the extarctor threads, rather than in
    the extra holes of the chainring, it will fit nearly all modern cranks.

    I find that my slacks drag the chain when the crank is at 9:00, when my ankle is well behind the
    chainring. But if you think this will help, they are very available.

  11. Andy Muzi wrote:

    > There's a simple "universal fit" plastic chainring cover from Koolstop =
    ( two
    > sizes, 42 outer or 50 outer). We have 'em as will any competent LBS. =
    By
    > mounting on the extarctor threads, rather than in the extra holes of th=
    > chainring, it will fit nearly all modern cranks.
    >=20
    > I find that my slacks drag the chain when the crank is at 9:00, when my=

    > ankle is well behind the chainring. But if you think this will help, th=
    ey
    > are very available.

    I put one of these on my Cannondale ST500 fixed gear a while ago, and=20 was satisfied with it for
    quite a while, until I got my pants leg caught =

    in the chain and nearly crashed as a result.

    Sheldon "Back To Tucking Into My Sock" Brown
    | There are 10 kinds of people in this world: | Those who understand the binary system, and those
    | who don=92t |
    +---------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

  12. stu <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Pants Clip. A metal pants clip for your right ankle area can keep your pants from hitting your
    >chain and getting greasy.

    Bicycle clips are widely available in the UK - I have a set of obnoxiously yellow reflective ones
    for the times when I ride in trousers; they also help to prevent wide trouser legs from getting
    tangled up with the BB end of the crank at the bottom of the pedal stroke.

    I presume you can't get them in the US, though.

  13. On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 12:10:36 -0800, J. Bruce Fields wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>, stu <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>Pants Clip. A metal pants clip for your right ankle area can keep your pants from hitting your
    >>chain and getting greasy. You can also use rubber bands, of course.
    >>http://bicycleaustin.info/accessories.html
    >>
    >>used to have one a long time ago maybe you can still get them somewhere
    >
    > I don't see the metal pants clips too often any more, but it shouldn't be hard to find reflective
    > velcro bands, like, for example, this:
    >
    > http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=1520&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&-
    > langId=-1
    >
    > --Bruce F.

    REI unfortunately has these on back order, but I liked the idea, so I hunted around for something
    similar and found these:

    http://shop.store.yahoo.com/momovelo/swedarrefleg.html

    The shipping's a little steep, but they sound nice. Grey in daylight, very bright white at night.

  14. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    >A while back, I mangled my chain guard by trying to ride my bike in boots. :-S So I pulled it off.
    >Now, I'm finding that my bike is making holes in literally most of my pants, when they get caught
    >in between the chain and the gear. Some time ago, I asked around at some LBS's about getting a
    >replacement, and they more or less told me I couldn't get one without buying a new bike. The bike
    >is a Schwinn Moab. Does anyone know where I can get a chain guard that'll save my pants? I'm in
    >Orange County, California, but I'd be happy to go mail order too.

    You could try getting an 8" strip of double sided velcro and wrap it around your pants leg on the
    drivetrain side. That's what I do and I have never gotten my pants caught in the chain. When you are
    off the bike, you can also use the velcro strip as a parking brake.
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  15. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    >bianchiusa (not sure of URL) is selling excess stock chainguards used in the Bianchi Milano city
    >bikes -- very nice, sturdy chainguards, about 25.

    http://store.bianchiusa.com/cgi-bin/store/H2000.html

    They are only partial chainguards. Better than nothing, but if I was going to put one on my bike, I
    would want one with more coverage.
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  16. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > stu <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >Pants Clip. A metal pants clip for your right ankle area can keep your
    pants
    > >from hitting your chain and getting greasy.

    "David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:N4b*[email protected]...
    > Bicycle clips are widely available in the UK - I have a set of obnoxiously yellow reflective ones
    > for the times when I ride in trousers; they also help to prevent wide trouser legs from getting
    > tangled up with the BB end of the crank at the bottom of the pedal stroke.
    >
    > I presume you can't get them in the US, though.

    Sure you may. They are quite popular in various styles: Velcro with Reflexite, Velcro without it,
    Velcro with a buckle so the end doubles over, round chromed steel as well.

    What you _can't_ get any longer are the Terry's clips that look somewhat like a beefy version of a
    hairpin and slid vertically up from the bottom of a folded trouser's leg. Not that the others don't
    work, but those were interesting.

  17. A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
    >"David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>Bicycle clips are widely available in the UK - I have a set of obnoxiously I presume you can't get
    >>them in the US, though.
    >Sure you may.

    In that case the people asking should just get them. :)