chain installation for different size cassettes

Hello

I have two rear wheels, which I plan to have one with a 12-25 cassette
and the other , 11-23 cassette, both 10 speed Dura Ace. I'm upgrading
my rig to 10 speed, I have Campy. I plan to use a Campy 5.9mm chain.
When I have the chain installed, is it better to have it tensioned for
the 11-23 cassette rather than the bigger 12-25? I don't know if there
will be some slack if the chain is tensioned for a 12-25 cassette and
I run a 11-23 cassette later on or does it make no difference either
way? Thanks.

[email protected] wrote:

> When I have the chain installed, is it better to have it tensioned for
> the 11-23 cassette rather than the bigger 12-25?

Doesn't make much difference in this case, but tension it for the
12-25. A too short chain is much worse than a slightly too long chain.

Art Harris

[email protected] wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have two rear wheels, which I plan to have one with a 12-25 cassette
> and the other , 11-23 cassette, both 10 speed Dura Ace. I'm upgrading
> my rig to 10 speed, I have Campy. I plan to use a Campy 5.9mm chain.
> When I have the chain installed, is it better to have it tensioned for
> the 11-23 cassette rather than the bigger 12-25? I don't know if there
> will be some slack if the chain is tensioned for a 12-25 cassette and
> I run a 11-23 cassette later on or does it make no difference either
> way? Thanks.

They are so close that it doesn't matter. I run two Campy wheels, one
with 13-26 and the other with 13-29. I installed the chain on the 13-26
and it worked OK with the 13-29 cassette.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

I think it's safer to say "it's so close that it might not matter."
It is possible to set the chain so it is marginally tight for the
small cassette, and hence unacceptable (damaging, even) for the large
cassette. I agree with sizing it for the larger one. It should then
be fine for the small one, since they are so close.

Ken

news:[email protected]...

[email protected] wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have two rear wheels, which I plan to have one with a 12-25 cassette
> and the other , 11-23 cassette, both 10 speed Dura Ace. I'm upgrading
> my rig to 10 speed, I have Campy. I plan to use a Campy 5.9mm chain.
> When I have the chain installed, is it better to have it tensioned for
> the 11-23 cassette rather than the bigger 12-25? I don't know if there
> will be some slack if the chain is tensioned for a 12-25 cassette and
> I run a 11-23 cassette later on or does it make no difference either
> way? Thanks.

Size it for the 11-23 and just put the 12-25 on and ride. Small-small
combo and 5mm or so from the chain to the body of the RD..