chain installation for different size cassettes

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by [email protected], Apr 20, 2006.

  1. Hello

    I have two rear wheels, which I plan to have one with a 12-25 cassette
    and the other , 11-23 cassette, both 10 speed Dura Ace. I'm upgrading
    my rig to 10 speed, I have Campy. I plan to use a Campy 5.9mm chain.
    When I have the chain installed, is it better to have it tensioned for
    the 11-23 cassette rather than the bigger 12-25? I don't know if there
    will be some slack if the chain is tensioned for a 12-25 cassette and
    I run a 11-23 cassette later on or does it make no difference either
    way? Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Art Harris

    Art Harris Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > When I have the chain installed, is it better to have it tensioned for
    > the 11-23 cassette rather than the bigger 12-25?

    Doesn't make much difference in this case, but tension it for the
    12-25. A too short chain is much worse than a slightly too long chain.

    Art Harris

  3. Lou Holtman

    Lou Holtman Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I have two rear wheels, which I plan to have one with a 12-25 cassette
    > and the other , 11-23 cassette, both 10 speed Dura Ace. I'm upgrading
    > my rig to 10 speed, I have Campy. I plan to use a Campy 5.9mm chain.
    > When I have the chain installed, is it better to have it tensioned for
    > the 11-23 cassette rather than the bigger 12-25? I don't know if there
    > will be some slack if the chain is tensioned for a 12-25 cassette and
    > I run a 11-23 cassette later on or does it make no difference either
    > way? Thanks.

    They are so close that it doesn't matter. I run two Campy wheels, one
    with 13-26 and the other with 13-29. I installed the chain on the 13-26
    and it worked OK with the 13-29 cassette.

    Lou
    --
    Posted by news://news.nb.nu

  4. Road Man

    Road Man Guest

    I think it's safer to say "it's so close that it might not matter."
    It is possible to set the chain so it is marginally tight for the
    small cassette, and hence unacceptable (damaging, even) for the large
    cassette. I agree with sizing it for the larger one. It should then
    be fine for the small one, since they are so close.

    Ken

    news:[email protected]

  5. [email protected] wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I have two rear wheels, which I plan to have one with a 12-25 cassette
    > and the other , 11-23 cassette, both 10 speed Dura Ace. I'm upgrading
    > my rig to 10 speed, I have Campy. I plan to use a Campy 5.9mm chain.
    > When I have the chain installed, is it better to have it tensioned for
    > the 11-23 cassette rather than the bigger 12-25? I don't know if there
    > will be some slack if the chain is tensioned for a 12-25 cassette and
    > I run a 11-23 cassette later on or does it make no difference either
    > way? Thanks.

    Size it for the 11-23 and just put the 12-25 on and ride. Small-small
    combo and 5mm or so from the chain to the body of the RD..