Chain jumping

convert

Mar 4, 2004
Hey guys,

I just dumped a pile of cash upgrading my sirrus expert from a 8 speed to a nine, new casset, derailers, chain, shifters, B-bracket and crank. I have been on the wind trainer for about month, no probs. Now the weather have come around so I can ride outside ( well sort of -4 deg. celcius this morning)
Ok so here is the problem when I shift to the lorge cog (25 teeth) in the middle ring the chain jumps on and off.
Any Ideas what to check.
Thanks

convert said:
Hey guys,

I just dumped a pile of cash upgrading my sirrus expert from a 8 speed to a nine, new casset, derailers, chain, shifters, B-bracket and crank. I have been on the wind trainer for about month, no probs. Now the weather have come around so I can ride outside ( well sort of -4 deg. celcius this morning)
Ok so here is the problem when I shift to the lorge cog (25 teeth) in the middle ring the chain jumps on and off.
Any Ideas what to check.
Thanks

Yeah,
Adjust your derailleur to move over a bit more.

The barrel adjuster on the derailleur should be able to correct it. It is where the cable housing stops on the body of it.
Turn it half a turn at a time while pedaling to find the direction that gets better and pursue it to a finer degree afterward.
Your shifting response should be the same upshifting and downshifting, so check that as you go.

Conniebiker said:
Your shifting response should be the same upshifting and downshifting, so check that as you go.
OK, but not in a track stand or with the bike upside down in the living room. It should be ~ the same on the road. Power up a good hill where things can flex a bit -- get it right in the stand and take it out, tweak on the road once or twice...viola.

Thanks for the replies, I fooled around wth the cable ajuster and things are better, now I just have to find a good hill and try it out.
Thanks again