Chain Life! - ? How long ?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by ottoman, Sep 12, 2003.

1. ottoman

ottoman New Member

How miles should one get out of new chain that is reasonably well maintained - cleaned and lubed.

For a road bike with Ultegra group.

Tags:

2. pekingese

pekingese New Member

It is recommended that you clean and lube chain every two weeks, or every 10 hours of riding and check chain wear every 500 miles.

Signs of a worn chain are slow and imprecise shifts, noisy operation and a rough pedaling feel-as if gravel is in the drivetrain--that can't be eliminated by lubing. It's time for a new chain.

3 WAYS TO DETECT A WORN CHAIN

Ruler. Tension the chain by pressing lightly on the right pedal. Hold a 12-inch ruler against the chain. On a fresh chain, 12 full links (from pin to pin) measure exactly 12 inches long. If 12 links measure 12 1/8 inches or more, replace the chain.

Special chain checker tool. Easy to use and impossible to misread. Can be bought from Park Tool (www.parktool.com)

Chainring test. Shift to the middle (on triple-ring bikes) or small (on double-ring bikes) ring. Hold the rear wheel stationary. Apply load to the right pedal with one hand. If the chain floats above the teeth rather than directly contacting it, it's time for a new chain (and maybe rings as well).

3. T-Man

T-Man New Member

I use the 1500 mile rule. If you change to a new chain every 1500 miles you'll almost never need to replace your expensive cassette cogs or chainrings. Chains are cheaper (though not much) : )

Paul

4. Cyclesmith

Cyclesmith New Member

Amen

5. rv

rv New Member

I replace my ultegra chain every 2500 miles. but I'm pretty obsessive about keeping the drive train (and bike) clean and lubed.

6. ottoman

ottoman New Member

Thanks! :)
    I've got about 2500 miles on my chain now - after all your input I've decided to replace it!