chain line with a single ring set up

lescor

Jul 26, 2003
I want to convert my cross bike to a single ring set up and am wondering if I need to get a bottom bracket with a longer axle to split the difference between the two rings so the chain is closer to being centered on the cogs and runs as straight as possible in all gears.

thx

lescor said:
I want to convert my cross bike to a single ring set up and am wondering if I need to get a bottom bracket with a longer axle to split the difference between the two rings so the chain is closer to being centered on the cogs and runs as straight as possible in all gears.

thx
A straight line, drawn between the center of the casette and the center of your ring gears or ring gear, should appear parallel to your cogs and ring/rings. If not, the bottom bracket needs to be adjusted in or out. If it can't be done, you need a new bottom bracket with a different spindle lenght.

Take the chain off, get a straight-edge, (a long steel rule will do) and put it across the face of your chain ring and down to the cassette. You’ll be able to see what the chain line is like. If its somewhere near the middle it will be fine. If its out a bit in the direction you use it most that’s even better. The chain is always going to be out of line in higher and lower gears anyway.

otherworld said:
Take the chain off, get a straight-edge, (a long steel rule will do) and put it across the face of your chain ring and down to the cassette. You’ll be able to see what the chain line is like. If its somewhere near the middle it will be fine. If its out a bit in the direction you use it most that’s even better. The chain is always going to be out of line in higher and lower gears anyway.
Can you quantify, "somwhere near the middle", and how you arrived at that measurement?

lks said:
Can you quantify, "somwhere near the middle", and how you arrived at that measurement?
I’ve given my opinion in response to the question. I’m fairly confident that lescor knows what somewhere near the middle means and if he/she doesn’t then they will ask.

If you read the question again you should be able to see that lescor understands the issue quite well. All you have done is reiterate the problem which doesn’t help at all.

Regards Jay.

otherworld said:
I’ve given my opinion in response to the question. I’m fairly confident that lescor knows what somewhere near the middle means and if he/she doesn’t then they will ask.

If you read the question again you should be able to see that lescor understands the issue quite well. All you have done is reiterate the problem which doesn’t help at all.

Regards Jay.
Not to exceed, so many millmeters off center, would have sufficed as an answer.

On a nine sprocket cassette the center rests on the cogs of sprocket #5 and on a ten sprocket cassette the center is between sprocket #5 and #6.

waxbytes said:
On a nine sprocket cassette the center rests on the cogs of sprocket #5 and on a ten sprocket cassette the center is between sprocket #5 and #6.
The discussions were not about where the center of a cassette is, but how far off it's center can be from the chain line, and still be acceptable.

lescor said:
Sounds like you have a triple, they generally run a 50mm chainline. If you want to run a single ring or a double then set it up at 47.5mm, yes a slightly shorter bottom bracket.

I have the Shimano Book that gives what length BB with which crankset and the chainline. for example if 113mm for a triple, then 110mm for a double/single chainring.

gclark8 said:
Sounds like you have a triple, they generally run a 50mm chainline. If you want to run a single ring or a double then set it up at 47.5mm, yes a slightly shorter bottom bracket.

I have the Shimano Book that gives what length BB with which crankset and the chainline. for example if 113mm for a triple, then 110mm for a double/single chainring.
I would suggest, that the vast majority of viewers are not equiped to go beyond my above post #2, or will ever need to. To use your chain line specs., or even the mfg's, requires instruments to make at least 8 precise measurements and then the calculations to come up with their chain line, which is when CLf=CLr. Depending on the bike, there is no guarantee that they can achieve this with any bottom bracket, because of chainstay clearance and/or chain rub on large chainrings when in the cross gears. Follow my post and then adjust your front and rear derailleurs correctly and everything should run smoothly. If it doe's, but the chain drops off the smallest ring gear, to the inside, buy one of the after market devices that clamp to the seat tube and will prevent that. Some of the Tour mechanics, install them when they set a new bike up. If everything is done right, don't worry if you can't cross chain all the way on both rings, without the chain rubbing on the front derailleur. It shouldn't happen with a 39-53 but it will on a compact, at least those with shorter and tighter radius derailleur cages. I am a KISS mechanic. Keep It Simple, Stupid!

He only wants a single, why you guys gotta confuse the issue. if you have a tripple and you want a single just remove the big ring and the smallest ring and put a bash ring. if you have a double remove the big ring and put a bash ring. your chain line is presumably already correct and to start buying different size bb an crank offsets is way to complicated for even these turkeys. there must be at least a half dozen different bb systems so even if you can understand the shimano book it may not relate. If you convert the bike to single and the chain jumps or falls off, get back to us and then well tell you about chainline.

ps: i know what roughly the middle means:D

Insaneclimber said:
He only wants a single, why you guys gotta confuse the issue. if you have a tripple and you want a single just remove the big ring and the smallest ring and put a bash ring. if you have a double remove the big ring and put a bash ring. your chain line is presumably already correct and to start buying different size bb an crank offsets is way to complicated for even these turkeys. there must be at least a half dozen different bb systems so even if you can understand the shimano book it may not relate. If you convert the bike to single and the chain jumps or falls off, get back to us and then well tell you about chainline.

ps: i know what roughly the middle means:D
Fantastic. How many millimeters off center doe's "roughly the middle", become "roughly not the middle"?

lks said:
Fantastic. How many millimeters off center doe's "roughly the middle", become "roughly not the middle"?
Hey man why dont you stop reading about how to do it and start doin it, real world experience will help you alot. i imagine you probably check axel width with a micrometer.

lescor said:

thx
Looks like "lescor" has long since packed up and gone home....... :rolleyes:

Insaneclimber said:
Hey man why dont you stop reading about how to do it and start doin it, real world experience will help you alot. i imagine you probably check axel width with a micrometer.
You either know the answer, or you don't. So far you have just given excuses, instead of the answer.