Chain link problem,.. or what?

lol168

Feb 8, 2013
Hi all, I recently noticed that when my road bike is on the highest gear, that is: 53/11, "one" of my chain links won't glide on the rear (11 teeth) cog smoothly. I mean that particular link just not align, and I. saw it has to "click in rather than glide in. My front chainring is compact Tiagra, while the back is 10 speed 11-30 (Shimano, I think CS4600) cassette. I found out this issue during lubing. Don't notice any noise or anything unusual while riding. My question is: 1) Should I be concern about this issue? I don't have any shifting issue though. 2) Could it be one of the links is bent? If not, what causes it? Thanks in advance for any advice.

You'll likely want to sort this out if the chain does not run smoothly while under load.

Is it a normal chain link or some form of quick connector link? I've had problems with some brands of quick link and some are directional and have to be installed with the plates in the correct orientation or they'll ride up on the 11 tooth cog even though they're fine in the other cogs.

If it's a normal chain link and not a special connector then is it very tight and inflexible when you pick up the chain with your hands and flex it at that link compared to other links? If you don't use a special quick connector then it's possible that the link in question was where the chain was pinned back together during assembly and the link was not assembled properly. Sometimes a quick lateral in and out flexing of the chain can loosen an overly tight link pin but I'd be careful doing too much of this with modern 10 speed chains though it was common practice with older and more robust 5 through 8 speed chains. If it's just too tight I'd either break the chain and replace the tight link with a SRAM or Whipperman quick change master link or I'd take it to your local shop and have them break and reinstall the chain at the problem link.

Good luck,
-Dave

My chain is Kmc (stock chain) that has a quick connector. I already checked again, the problem link is the regular link, not the connector part. And the "click on" issue actually happens when I rotate the chain backward, not forward. When I rotate forward, the chain is fine. The link didn't appear to be tight, but I grabbed it and flex a little bit anyway but still the same situation. I guess I would leave it for now, for I don't have any other issue, so it didn't bother me too much, besides, I don't ride with chain row backwards,.... So I guess I will leave it alone for a while and just keep monitoring.
daveryanwyoming said:
You'll likely want to sort this out if the chain does not run smoothly while under load. Is it a normal chain link or some form of quick connector link? I've had problems with some brands of quick link and some are directional and have to be installed with the plates in the correct orientation or they'll ride up on the 11 tooth cog even though they're fine in the other cogs. If it's a normal chain link and not a special connector then is it very tight and inflexible when you pick up the chain with your hands and flex it at that link compared to other links? If you don't use a special quick connector then it's possible that the link in question was where the chain was pinned back together during assembly and the link was not assembled properly. Sometimes a quick lateral in and out flexing of the chain can loosen an overly tight link pin but I'd be careful doing too much of this with modern 10 speed chains though it was common practice with older and more robust 5 through 8 speed chains. If it's just too tight I'd either break the chain and replace the tight link with a SRAM or Whipperman quick change master link or I'd take it to your local shop and have them break and reinstall the chain at the problem link. Good luck, -Dave

Originally Posted by lol168 .

...And the "click on" issue actually happens when I rotate the chain backward, not forward. When I rotate forward, the chain is fine....
I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens in normal operation and while pedaling under load. It actually sounds a bit like a chainline issue if it only happens in you 11 tooth cog and while pedaling backwards. That's not really a problem per se, just a reality that at sharp chain angles you can slightly catch the inner plate of the chain on the cogs and it's more likely to happen in extreme cogs like the 11.

But if it doesn't happen while pedaling normally or especially if it doesn't happen with actual load on the chain then I wouldn't worry about it.

-Dave

"It actually sounds a bit like a chainline issue if it only happens in you 11 tooth cog and while pedaling backwards."

Agreed.

daveryanwyoming said:
..... just a reality that at sharp chain angles you can slightly catch the inner plate of the chain on the cogs and it's more likely to happen in extreme cogs like the 11. BThere you go, you've just described exactly ut if it doesn't happen while pedaling normally or especially if it doesn't happen with actual load on the chain then I wouldn't worry about it. -Dave
There you go... You've just described exactly what happened on my chain. So,... I'll say case close for now. Thank you Dave!

As always, thank you guys for answering / responding to my question! Have a nice weekend!