Chain lube.

glore2002

Apr 24, 2005
Hello!
I use my Raleigh M20 bike mostly to commute (asphalt - city). For lubing the chain, here (Buenos Aires) I can get the following kind of lubes. Which one would you recommend to me?

a) Motorex Chain Wet Lube.
b) Motorex Chain Dry Lube.
c) Castrol Chain Wax (for motorcycles). If it works well on Motorbikes, I expect it does the same on a bike.

For me, it isn't clear when to use wet or dry lube. Does it refer to weather conditions or to the surface you move on?

Thanks in advance,
Hermann.-

glore2002 said:
Hello!
I use my Raleigh M20 bike mostly to commute (asphalt - city). For lubing the chain, here (Buenos Aires) I can get the following kind of lubes. Which one would you recommend to me?

a) Motorex Chain Wet Lube.
b) Motorex Chain Dry Lube.
c) Castrol Chain Wax (for motorcycles). If it works well on Motorbikes, I expect it does the same on a bike.

For me, it isn't clear when to use wet or dry lube. Does it refer to weather conditions or to the surface you move on?

Thanks in advance,
Hermann.-

You're right on both counts. Dry lube is for dry conditions, weather AND surface - Wet lube for wet conditions, weather AND surface. I believe the "wet" lube protects better while the "dry" lube sheds dirt etc. better. The dry lube needs to be applied more often if memory serves me correctly.

I think the dry lube has to be applied the night before a ride as well, whereas the wet lube can be applied right before. I heard that some dry lubes are wax based and need time to set, or something like that. am I wrong?

spacefuzz said:
I think the dry lube has to be applied the night before a ride as well, whereas the wet lube can be applied right before. I heard that some dry lubes are wax based and need time to set, or something like that. am I wrong?
I believe you're right. The dry lubes need time to set and/or dry. Some dry quicker than others.

spacefuzz said:
After riding I clean my bike and the chain and gears. I then wax the chain down with Pedros Chain Wax. I'm ready to go the next day. If it looks messy outside I may spray some GT85 on the gears/chain and let it dry. I also spray some on my pedals, shifters(just a touch) to keep moisture out. LBS is really impressed with how shiny everything is. Some people do zero maintenance on their bikes then wonder why they have shifting problems.