Chain lube

dougadam said:
What is the most practical product to use to lube a bike chain? :confused:
Any lubricant that is not used to excess.

You will get everything from brand name chain lubes to homemade stuff mentioned here. All generally work, but not too much or it will attract all sorts of dirt, etc. that will wear your stuff out faster than no lube at all.

I like ProLink

I've used wax and long ago I used (gasps of horror) WD40. Prior to that it was motor oil, but the chain got all black and stained the inside of your leg or the back of your shirt, or anywhere that the oil was thrown by the chain and wheel(because the oil always got on the wheel). Now I use ProLink and I am very satisfied with it. But as Peter said, most any brand of chain lube is as good as another these days as long as you follow the directions.

kdelong said:
I've used wax and long ago I used (gasps of horror) WD40. Prior to that it was motor oil, but the chain got all black and stained the inside of your leg or the back of your shirt, or anywhere that the oil was thrown by the chain and wheel(because the oil always got on the wheel). Now I use ProLink and I am very satisfied with it. But as Peter said, most any brand of chain lube is as good as another these days as long as you follow the directions.
+2. I've tried a lot of stuff over the years too, but like Prolink the best. One drop per bushing is all it takes, so the small squeeze bottle lasts a full season.

dougadam said:
What is the most practical product to use to lube a bike chain? :confused:
Agree that anything in moderation, wipe up surplus, works. Present usage is mixture of 1 part motor oil to 4 parts paint thinner. My thinking is part of lub's job is to flush away dirt etc. If you can't use it in some excess, the flushing function is lost. So I apply it by dipping tooth brush in mixture, wipe across section of chain, the wipe off excess. Toss remainder. Repeat every other ride with fresh mixture.

lostcause89 said:
Not sure I stil use wd40 and don't think that there is anything wrong with it.

There are few things that are 'wrong' in all of bicycles...maybe recumbents(just KIDDING!!!).

WD-40, altho it does have a bit of 'lube'
in it is mostly a solvent. The 'liquidness' of it does 'lube', just like water but mostly it washes lube from things, and glue and tar and lots of other stuff.

yea WD40 is a solvent for cleaning or undoing old bolts etc.

if you wanna use a easily available spray i use INOX which is actually a lubricant as far as i know probably not as good as special chain lubes but if you dont over apply it, i think its great.

Peter@vecchios said:
There are few things that are 'wrong' in all of bicycles...maybe recumbents(just KIDDING!!!).

WD-40, altho it does have a bit of 'lube'
in it is mostly a solvent. The 'liquidness' of it does 'lube', just like water but mostly it washes lube from things, and glue and tar and lots of other stuff.
Agree WD-40 is a bit too thin to stay where it needs to be (between the pins and bushings) for long. Plus, a spray can just isn't going to get enough lube where it's needed unless you hose down the chain, rear wheel and garage floor.

Since I'm a cheapskate, I tried WD-40, motocycle chain lubes, auto engine oils, as well as other sprays over the years. Chainsaw bar oil was my last big "moneysaving" solution, since I had it sitting around and figured at least it was made for chains. Amazing what a sticky mess that made after a couple of applications. After years of [extensive :)] research, I've concluded Prolink is well worth the money.

I used to use WD40 as lube or even motor oil, chain oil,... But it attracts dirt much faster than specialized cycling chain lubs. It came all sticky and black just in a few rides and extremely difficult to clean up.
I from then use proline teflon dry lub for my chain. keeps chain clean while having lubs on it.

zaku said:
I used to use WD40 as lube or even motor oil, chain oil,... But it attracts dirt much faster than specialized cycling chain lubs. It came all sticky and black just in a few rides and extremely difficult to clean up.
I from then use proline teflon dry lub for my chain. keeps chain clean while having lubs on it.
I used a teflon spray lube for a couple of years until the can went dry. After that I used Trilube, and then a friend turned me on to ProLink. So far it has been better, or at least as good as but easier, than anything else that I have tried. My favorite was parafin wax but it is a bit of a hassle compared to ProLink.

Finish Line Teflon (red) is my personal favorite. For heavier duty use (longer rides, poor conditions, MTB) I also use Pedros Ice Wax. Buy them on sale and they are quite economical and make a real difference in shifting quality and chain life. The most important thing to do is to clean your bike/chain reasonably often (every ride for MTB and every third for road). Use a Pedros cog brush for the teeth and pulleys. I use Scotchbrite sponges (buy in huge bulk packs from Sam's Club) for cleaning the chain, and Citrus degreaser for the drivetrain along with high quality car wash mix for the frame (Mequires, Turtle Wax). Off subject, but Pledge is a great wax for painted frames after cleaning.

freeagent35 said:
Finish Line Teflon (red) is my personal favorite. For heavier duty use (longer rides, poor conditions, MTB) I also use Pedros Ice Wax. Buy them on sale and they are quite economical and make a real difference in shifting quality and chain life. The most important thing to do is to clean your bike/chain reasonably often (every ride for MTB and every third for road). Use a Pedros cog brush for the teeth and pulleys. I use Scotchbrite sponges (buy in huge bulk packs from Sam's Club) for cleaning the chain, and Citrus degreaser for the drivetrain along with high quality car wash mix for the frame (Mequires, Turtle Wax). Off subject, but Pledge is a great wax for painted frames after cleaning.
The thing that I most like about ProLink is that it cleans the chain as it lubricates it. I just wipe the chain off every 150 - 200 miles and relubricate by putting a drop on each of the rollers. If I ride in the rain, I go ahead and relube it right away. I do remove the chain and give it a good cleaning during my yearly rebuild which usually takes place in February when it is just too nasty to ride outside.