Chain lubing

Doki

Guest
Do you bother cleaning the thing, or just stick a bit of oil on every so
often? I'm using finish line x-country or some such, and have one of those
halfords chain cleaners, but no degreaser to go in it...

"Doki" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Do you bother cleaning the thing, or just stick a bit of oil on every so
> often? I'm using finish line x-country or some such, and have one of those
> halfords chain cleaners, but no degreaser to go in it...

The cleaning is very important. I used to use white spirit, but nowadays use
Finish Line citrus degreaser, which can be diluted (and therefore isn't
*quite* as expensive as it looks!) and works better. White spirit is
available from B&Q, local hardware shop, etc. Finish Line products are sold
in a lot of bike shops, including Halfords (I think - someone correct me if
I'm wrong, please).

Doki wrote:
> Do you bother cleaning the thing, or just stick a bit of oil on every
> so often? I'm using finish line x-country or some such, and have one
> of those halfords chain cleaners, but no degreaser to go in it...

I use Diesel. Remove the chain, soak it in Diesel while fettling the rest of
the bike, brush the chain while it is still immersed, with a tooth brush,
wipe away the excess, refit and relube.

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 14:18:02 +0100, "Doki" <[email protected]>
wrote in message <[email protected]>:

>Do you bother cleaning the thing, or just stick a bit of oil on every so
>often?

Both. I use wax lube, which needs topping up reasonably frequently
especially in poor weather, but when the chain starts looking skanky I
clean it.

>have one of those
>halfords chain cleaners, but no degreaser to go in it...

Use Finish Line citrus degreaser.

And better than the on-bike cleaner, use the Sheldon Shake:
<url:http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html> - yes, it really is
better :)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Doki wrote:
> Do you bother cleaning the thing,

I do. SRAM Powerlink makes chain easy to remove and soak in a jar of
white spirit.

> or just stick a bit of oil on every
> so often?

It's debatable whether your chain will actually suffer doing that, but
there is a danger of more grit getting flushed into the chain innards, and
filth just keeps building up.

> I'm using finish line x-country or some such, and have one
> of those halfords chain cleaners, but no degreaser to go in it...

Those sort of cleaners are quite good if you don't like taking the chain
off. I found the Barberi one splashed a bit, though.

~PB

"Doki" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Do you bother cleaning the thing, or just stick a bit of oil on every so
> often? I'm using finish line x-country or some such, and have one of those
> halfords chain cleaners, but no degreaser to go in it...

I use citrus all purpose cleaner from the supermarket in my chain cleaner. 1
litre bottles are a fraction of the cycling specific products prices.

Ken

in message <[email protected]>, Martin Newstead
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Doki wrote:
>> Do you bother cleaning the thing, or just stick a bit of oil on every
>> so often? I'm using finish line x-country or some such, and have one
>> of those halfords chain cleaners, but no degreaser to go in it...

> I use Diesel. Remove the chain, soak it in Diesel while fettling the
> rest of the bike, brush the chain while it is still immersed, with a
> tooth brush, wipe away the excess, refit and relube.

Ditto, except parafin rather than diesel. Similar stuff, but I find the
smell much less unpleasant. I also hang the chain up to dry for at
least a couple of hours - usually overnight - and then relube it before
refitting it. After lubing I leave the chain for as long as possible
for the lube to capilarise its way into the rollers before wiping off
the excess with kitchen paper. Then I refit.

I've tried the little plastic clip-on cleaner devices, and my experience
is they're nearly as much hassle as taking the chain off, and much less
effective.

;; this is not a .sig

> in message <[email protected]>, Martin Newstead
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> Doki wrote:
>>> Do you bother cleaning the thing, or just stick a bit of oil on every
>>> so often? I'm using finish line x-country or some such, and have one
>>> of those halfords chain cleaners, but no degreaser to go in it...

>> I use Diesel. Remove the chain, soak it in Diesel while fettling the
>> rest of the bike, brush the chain while it is still immersed, with a
>> tooth brush, wipe away the excess, refit and relube.

> Ditto, except parafin rather than diesel. Similar stuff, but I find the
> smell much less unpleasant. I also hang the chain up to dry for at
> least a couple of hours - usually overnight - and then relube it before
> refitting it. After lubing I leave the chain for as long as possible
> for the lube to capilarise its way into the rollers before wiping off
> the excess with kitchen paper. Then I refit.
>
> I've tried the little plastic clip-on cleaner devices, and my experience
> is they're nearly as much hassle as taking the chain off, and much less
> effective.

I tried to take my shimano quick release chain off the other week. I found
the link, but couldn't be bothered to figure out why it seemed to be stuck.
Must find some cheap swarfega.

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 20:48:09 GMT, "Kenneth Clements"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I use citrus all purpose cleaner from the supermarket in my chain cleaner. 1
>litre bottles are a fraction of the cycling specific products prices.

Ken, have you got a brand name or anything for that? Couldn't find
anything similar in the local Waitrose. Thanks