Chain lubrication

Paul Kopit <[email protected]> writes:

> On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 19:25:51 GMT, "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote:

...snipped good description of D-Limonene degreaser

> Safe? Yes you can squirt the stuff in your mouth but never get any in your eye. I cannot see how
> people clean chains by dunking in the orange miracle and then manage to get the solvent out so
> that a decent lubricant can go on.

Most "orange degreasers", like the Zep stuff from Home Depot, have a lot of detergent or soap in the
mix so that they can be washed off with water quite effectively.

Pure D-limonene is pretty harsh stuff and not very water soluble.

Dave Korzekwa

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 19:25:51 GMT, "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote:

><[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
>
>> There are a number of cleaning agents for mechanical parts
>and hand
>> cleansers that contain citric acid that cuts oils and
>allows them to be
>> washed away with water.
>
>This is what I always thought, until I found out the active ingredient in citrus degreasers is not
>citric acid, but L-limonene, a caustic compound also refined from orange peels. It's easy to have
>this misconception because citric

D'Limonene, which is both acidic and corrosive to aluminum.

Bob Denton Gulf Stream International Delray Beach, Florida www.sinkthestink.com Manufacturers of
Sink the Stink

store, in powdered form.

>Before they found this wonderful new way to get rid of it (L-limonene) by selling it as a cleaner,
>it was classed as a hazardous waste product..
>
>Sort of like Ironite lawn Fertilizer...

D'Limonene used to be a hazardous waste. It is considered 100% HAP (hazardous air pollutant) by the
EPA, and in fact Florida's orange groves are the state's largest air polluters.

It sold for $.35 a pound some years ago but today is at $1.70. Most orange hand cleaners no longer
use D'Limonene, and have replaced it with dipentene, basically a refined turpentine. If there is any
D'Limonene at all, it's used as a fragrance at around 2%. The original orange hand cleaners had 34%.

We are about to launch a range of bike cleaning products, chain solvents and lubes based on soy,
which exhibit none of the problems of D'Limonene. We've been test marketing in Florida with
excellent results.

cya Bob Denton Gulf Stream International Delray Beach, Florida www.sinkthestink.com Manufacturers of
Sink the Stink