Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Chain noise with 9 speed upgrade?

Started by Post Here Thank · · Last activity · 3 posts · 730 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
24 August 2003
Last activity
28 August 2003
Original author
Post Here Thank
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
730
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've upgrade an 8 speed Durace set to a 9 speed. I also changed the inner chainring to a 39 tooth
    Ultegra 9 speed one as suggested. I'm noticing a very slight pedaling noise when the chain is on the
    small chainring and on the two largest cogs on the cassette. I thought it was derailleur rubbing at
    first but ruled that out after I ajusted the screw all the way out so the derailleur was no where
    near the chain. The noise isn't very lound and probably noticable only when in my bike stand.
    However, no other combinations seem to make this noise. Is this normal or is there something that
    can be done to fix it? Please just post here for everyone to benefit. Thanks.

  2. nospam-<< I've upgrade an 8 speed Durace set to a 9 speed. I also changed the inner chainring to a
    39 tooth Ultegra 9 speed one as suggested. >><BR><BR>

    9s chain?

    No need to switch the small ring to '9s' btw....

    Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  3. Post Here Thanks <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I've upgrade an 8 speed Durace set to a 9 speed. I also changed the inner chainring to a 39 tooth
    Ultegra 9 speed one as suggested. I'm noticing a very slight pedaling noise when the chain is on
    the small chainring and on the two largest cogs on the cassette. I thought it was derailleur
    rubbing at first but ruled that out after I ajusted the screw all the way out so the derailleur
    was no where near the chain. The noise isn't very lound and probably noticable only when in my
    bike stand. However, no other combinations seem to make this noise. Is this normal or is there
    something that can be done to fix it? Please just post here for everyone to benefit. Thanks.


    I too had some noise when I upgraded and they told me it should take 2 to 3 hundred miles to break
    it in. It took more like 800 miles before I could not hear any noise. Don't use a dry lube but to
    use oil on your chain.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.