Chain noise with 9 speed upgrade?

Post Here Thank

Guest
I've upgrade an 8 speed Durace set to a 9 speed. I also changed the inner chainring to a 39 tooth
Ultegra 9 speed one as suggested. I'm noticing a very slight pedaling noise when the chain is on the
small chainring and on the two largest cogs on the cassette. I thought it was derailleur rubbing at
first but ruled that out after I ajusted the screw all the way out so the derailleur was no where
near the chain. The noise isn't very lound and probably noticable only when in my bike stand.
However, no other combinations seem to make this noise. Is this normal or is there something that
can be done to fix it? Please just post here for everyone to benefit. Thanks.

nospam-<< I've upgrade an 8 speed Durace set to a 9 speed. I also changed the inner chainring to a
39 tooth Ultegra 9 speed one as suggested. >><BR><BR>

9s chain?

No need to switch the small ring to '9s' btw....

Post Here Thanks <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I've upgrade an 8 speed Durace set to a 9 speed. I also changed the inner chainring to a 39 tooth
> Ultegra 9 speed one as suggested. I'm noticing a very slight pedaling noise when the chain is on
> the small chainring and on the two largest cogs on the cassette. I thought it was derailleur
> rubbing at first but ruled that out after I ajusted the screw all the way out so the derailleur
> was no where near the chain. The noise isn't very lound and probably noticable only when in my
> bike stand. However, no other combinations seem to make this noise. Is this normal or is there
> something that can be done to fix it? Please just post here for everyone to benefit. Thanks.
I too had some noise when I upgraded and they told me it should take 2 to 3 hundred miles to break
it in. It took more like 800 miles before I could not hear any noise. Don't use a dry lube but to
use oil on your chain.