Chain noise with 9 speed upgrade?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Post Here Thank, Aug 23, 2003.

  1. I've upgrade an 8 speed Durace set to a 9 speed. I also changed the inner chainring to a 39 tooth
    Ultegra 9 speed one as suggested. I'm noticing a very slight pedaling noise when the chain is on the
    small chainring and on the two largest cogs on the cassette. I thought it was derailleur rubbing at
    first but ruled that out after I ajusted the screw all the way out so the derailleur was no where
    near the chain. The noise isn't very lound and probably noticable only when in my bike stand.
    However, no other combinations seem to make this noise. Is this normal or is there something that
    can be done to fix it? Please just post here for everyone to benefit. Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. nospam-<< I've upgrade an 8 speed Durace set to a 9 speed. I also changed the inner chainring to a
    39 tooth Ultegra 9 speed one as suggested. >><BR><BR>

    9s chain?

    No need to switch the small ring to '9s' btw....

  3. Siclmn

    Siclmn Guest

    Post Here Thanks <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I've upgrade an 8 speed Durace set to a 9 speed. I also changed the inner chainring to a 39 tooth
    > Ultegra 9 speed one as suggested. I'm noticing a very slight pedaling noise when the chain is on
    > the small chainring and on the two largest cogs on the cassette. I thought it was derailleur
    > rubbing at first but ruled that out after I ajusted the screw all the way out so the derailleur
    > was no where near the chain. The noise isn't very lound and probably noticable only when in my
    > bike stand. However, no other combinations seem to make this noise. Is this normal or is there
    > something that can be done to fix it? Please just post here for everyone to benefit. Thanks.
    I too had some noise when I upgraded and they told me it should take 2 to 3 hundred miles to break
    it in. It took more like 800 miles before I could not hear any noise. Don't use a dry lube but to
    use oil on your chain.