chain noise

cbrookhart

Nov 8, 2004
On a new bike that I have, I have been hearing what can best be described as a creaking noise coming from the chain area. It seems to make this noise regardless of what gear its in. Sometimes while riding, this noise gets noticeably loud. Other times, it can barely be heard. When it first started doing this, I took it to the shoip and got the pedals and cranks tightened. I was also told that if in a gear where the chain is not perfectly straight, it will make this noise. I took it for a test ride after the adjustments were made and everything seemed to be fine. The next day, I took my bike out for a long ride and halfway through riding, the chain began making the same noise again. I have tried to make sure that I am in a gear where the chain is straight, but that doesn't seem to matter anymore. It doesn't seem like during riding, there should be creaking type noises coming from the chain area. Any ideas on what the problem is?

Take the bike back again to the LBS and ask them. I’ve never heard a creaking noise coming from a chain. I’ve heard noises when the rear derailleur is not adjusted properly, when the chain is not aligned with the cogs properly. But I wouldn’t call that a creaking noise. Also ask the LBS what they adjusted and why. It’s the only way to start learning about your bike. And next time the noise starts you could possibly cure the noise yourself.

cbrookhart said:
On a new bike that I have, I have been hearing what can best be described as a creaking noise coming from the chain area. It seems to make this noise regardless of what gear its in. Sometimes while riding, this noise gets noticeably loud. Other times, it can barely be heard. When it first started doing this, I took it to the shoip and got the pedals and cranks tightened. I was also told that if in a gear where the chain is not perfectly straight, it will make this noise. I took it for a test ride after the adjustments were made and everything seemed to be fine. The next day, I took my bike out for a long ride and halfway through riding, the chain began making the same noise again. I have tried to make sure that I am in a gear where the chain is straight, but that doesn't seem to matter anymore. It doesn't seem like during riding, there should be creaking type noises coming from the chain area. Any ideas on what the problem is?
Agree the LBS needs to solve this on a new bike; creaking noises aren't normal. Some chain noise is normal, depending on how the chain is lubed and the gear combination, but not creaking.

I'd guess the noise is coming from the crankarms or BB (bottom bracket). Is the creaking worse when you stand and put heavy loads on the crank at low speed in a big gear?
If it's loud then, have the LBS guy ride the bike so he hears the noise.

Just checking crankarm bolt torque or retighting doesn't always fix the problem. He made need to disassemble the crankarms and BB and reinstall properly. Good luck.

cbrookhart said:

Quite a few potential noise sources. If the bicycle is new the shop should help you eliminate the posibilities.
Park Tool Co. has an article that may help:
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/creaking_and_squeaking.shtml

The chain noise does get louder as I stand and pedal, although I have rarely done that. It is however, most noticeable when going uphill. When going uphill, the chain is on the middle ring in the front and in the back, the chain is on one of the smaller cogs so that its easier to ride uphill at a steady pace.

As I mentioned, the LBS tightened the pedals and the cranks and took it for a test ride. Everything seemed fine to them. I confirmed that when I rode it around. I took the bike in about two weeks after buying it for its first tune-up. The pedals and cranks were tightened at that point. I would say that about two weeks after the initial tune-up is when this noise started. The LBS basically did the same tune-up that was initially done. I should also mention that when I took the bike for a test ride before buying it, the chain came off when shifting gears in the front. Could this perhaps have something to do with the noise?

Its hard to describe what the noise sounds like, but I am categorizing it as a creaking noise. The first bike I had never made these noises.

cbrookhart said:
I should also mention that when I took the bike for a test ride before buying it, the chain came off when shifting gears in the front. Could this perhaps have something to do with the noise?
Yeah, it means your bike shop is not quite up to snuff. I get some creaking at my BB ever now and then. Try some Teflon tape on the BB threads. Clean the BB splines really well before reinstalling the crank arms. That should do it.

Seriously, though, if a biek shop cant put a chain on properly...