chain noise

Frank D.

Jul 16, 2005
I'm getting a lot of noise when in my large chain ring and 13 thru 15 Also when i hit a bump chain will occationally pop off rear derailer. The derailer(Campy Veloce) has seen a lot of use. Any suggestions on correcting would be welcome

Frank D. said:
I'm getting a lot of noise when in my large chain ring and 13 thru 15 Also when i hit a bump chain will occationally pop off rear derailer. The derailer(Campy Veloce) has seen a lot of use. Any suggestions on correcting would be welcome
Take a look at your jockey wheels.

Frank D. said:

Sounds like the upper jockey pulley on the rear derailleur could be the problem. I was getting a similar problem on my Veloce RD with noise that I couldn't get rid of with any amount of adjustment, but it finally resolved after cleaning and lubing the upper pulley. I think that debris had gotten into the mechanism and prevented the pulley from floating to self-center correctly as it should. Your problems could also be related to a worn chain.

I had a similar problem and for me it meant a new rear casette. My old chain had broken so I put on a new one and it would skip and make lots of noise. The old cassette had worn to the old chain so the two wouldn't meet anymore. Not too pricey to fix.

Also adjusting the rear derailler might be enough, cables stretch and change over time.