Chain Oil/Lube

Originally Posted by An old Guy .

1) Perhaps you could figure out what your bicycling costs per mile. It might surprise you. The cost of chains and cassettes is only a small part of the cost of my bicycling.

2) I get reasonable chain life. Using my standard of maintenance, you appear not to. I suspect it is not our difference of knowledge of tribology that accounts for it.

3) I can wear out a chain in 1000 miles if I ride in a very aggressive style. I chose to ride less aggressively and my chains last much longer. It is a very simple experiment that you could do. It should only take you 50-60 hours to wear out a chain if you ride aggressively, And another 200-300 hours to wear out a chain riding less aggressively. I expect to hear from you in a couple months after you have finished up the experiment.

---

There is a lot of disagreement about maintenance because there is a wide range of abuses that bicyclists subject their bicycles to. So there are a lot of different maintenance plans.

I am not disagreeing with you but how do you describe less aggresive and more aggresive riding? It might aid me in understanding your maintenance system.

Originally Posted by kdelong .

I am not disagreeing with you but how do you describe less aggresive and more aggresive riding? It might aid me in understanding your maintenance system.

More aggressive would be closing gaps or chasing quickly at high power efforts. Less aggressive would be closing gaps or chasing slowly at modest power.

More aggressive would be doing a lot of surges rather than maintaining a steady tempo. Less aggressive would be a slightly higher tempo and no surges.

More aggressive on hills would be low cadence out of the saddle. Less aggressive would be high cadence in the saddle.

Smoothness of of the pedal stroke and evenness of effort would be less aggressive.

---

I am not saying that one should not race, train, or ride aggressively. I am only saying that it will shorten component life.

I used to use Pro-Link and found it to be very good but I now use Chain-L #5 and find it to be outstanding. The chain runs quietly and smoothly.
I just wipe the chain off after each ride.

I read thru 3 pages of it. I am still confused and I cant make up my mind.

I just bought my first expensive bike in my life. Already put 25 miles on it.

The other day took ride in the wet road. Dirt, sand, flung everywhere, under my seat, etc. I took it home to host it down with water. I will never ride in wet anymore.

Do I need to degrease. Then grease it? I am going to try Finsh Line Dry lubricant. I have no idea what is good.

Wipe off excess this I know.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Here's what I use and do.

Chain-L all year round, simple.

After washing bike with degreaser I pedal the chain backwards through tissue paper to dry it. I then spray WD40 close to the chain to get any water out, leave over night. Next day dry off residue with tissue, re-apply Chain-L lightly to both side of the chain, leave to soak over night, wipe off excess. Enjoy.

I hate dry lube, no good on long MTB rides or in any kind of wet.

Muc-Off degreaser, leave it to soak for 5 or 10 mins, rub with a bristle brush and rinse with water (not a pressure/jet wash). Oil from the chain will lube the cassette sprockets. When I oil my chain I change up and down all the gears a couple of times to work the lube in to the chain a bit and coat the cassette and chain ring.