Chain oil

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mark, Jan 30, 2004.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Does anyone have recommendation for chain oil? My precious last bottle of "Black Gold" is about to
    run out & the LBS hasn't been able to get it for about a year. It was made by a company called
    "Ebony Lubrication", but a search using Google has brought back nowt but a few, er, "interesting but
    not relevant" matches...

    I need something good - the lanes round here (rural) are chocablock with muck for the 6 months
    between Oct - Mar inclusive & so I don't want anything which is going to be washed off after a
    couple of spots of rain.

    The ability for online ordering (e.g. Wiggle) would be a bonus, too.

    Thanks for any thoughts.

    Mark

    Tags:

  2. Mark wrote:
    > Does anyone have recommendation for chain oil? My precious last bottle of "Black Gold" is about to
    > run out & the LBS hasn't been able to get it for about a year. It was made by a company called
    > "Ebony Lubrication", but a search using Google has brought back nowt but a few, er, "interesting
    > but not relevant" matches...

    Any cheap car engine oil will be more than adequate.

  3. My chum Mr. Davies has a friend who recommends chainsaw oil.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  4. Vincent Wilcox wrote:
    > Mark wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone have recommendation for chain oil? My precious last bottle of "Black Gold" is about
    >> to run out & the LBS hasn't been able to get it for about a year. It was made by a company called
    >> "Ebony Lubrication", but a search using Google has brought back nowt but a few, er, "interesting
    >> but not relevant" matches...
    >>

    > Any cheap car engine oil will be more than adequate.

    Although this turns up on a google groups search...

    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%22Ebony+Lubrication%22+Black+Gold&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-
    8&selm=a2qeld%24qdg%241%40paris.btinternet.com&rnum=1

  5. On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 14:07:25 -0000, Dave Larrington <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > My chum Mr. Davies has a friend who recommends chainsaw oil.

    This is one of the many oils I have in the workshop left by the previous occupant of the house. My
    favourite, but probably least use for bicycles, is Rangoon Oil. I believe it is for guns.

    Colin
    --

  6. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

  7. Mark wrote:
    > Does anyone have recommendation for chain oil? My precious last bottle of "Black Gold" is about to
    > run out & the LBS hasn't been able to get it for about a year. It was made by a company called
    > "Ebony Lubrication", but a search using Google has brought back nowt but a few, er, "interesting
    > but not relevant" matches...
    >
    > I need something good - the lanes round here (rural) are chocablock with muck for the 6 months
    > between Oct - Mar inclusive & so I don't want anything which is going to be washed off after a
    > couple of spots of rain.
    >
    > The ability for online ordering (e.g. Wiggle) would be a bonus, too.

    3-in-1 is as good as anything.

  8. Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

    > I've recently been receiving a lot of advertisements by email for "amazing oil" - perhaps I should
    > forward them to you? ;-)

    Nah - that stuff gives you stiff links.

  9. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Vincent Wilcox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Mark wrote:
    > > Does anyone have recommendation for chain oil? My precious last bottle
    of
    > > "Black Gold" is about to run out & the LBS hasn't been able to get it
    for
    > > about a year. It was made by a company called "Ebony Lubrication", but a search using Google has
    > > brought back nowt but a few, er, "interesting
    but
    > > not relevant" matches...
    > >

    > Any cheap car engine oil will be more than adequate.

    Which is what I used to think and act on but it makes a right mess when mixed with muck so I rather
    sceptically started using Finish Line Dry for drier conditions and Finish Line Wet, oddly enough,
    for wet conditions on recommendation. And despite it costing more, which goes against my ethics as a
    tight-wad, I'm staying with it. It's far cleaner in use, but does need regular application, and the
    chain seems to last at least as long .

    --
    Regards, Pete

  10. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    "Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > 3-in-1 is as good as anything.

    No it's not. It's pitiful thin stuff which washes out at the first sign of damp weather and sprays
    everywhere as you ride along.

    --
    Guy
    ===

    http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

  11. Msa

    Msa Guest

    Zog the Undeniable wrote:

    > 3-in-1 is as good as anything.

    Good job that wasn't your first reply to Guy!

    --
    Mark (MSA) This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may
    have occurred during transmission

  12. Garry Broad

    Garry Broad Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 17:49:09 +0000, Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Mark wrote:
    >> Does anyone have recommendation for chain oil? My precious last bottle of "Black Gold" is about
    >> to run out & the LBS hasn't been able to get it for about a year. It was made by a company called
    >> "Ebony Lubrication", but a search using Google has brought back nowt but a few, er, "interesting
    >> but not relevant" matches...
    >>
    >> I need something good - the lanes round here (rural) are chocablock with muck for the 6 months
    >> between Oct - Mar inclusive & so I don't want anything which is going to be washed off after a
    >> couple of spots of rain.
    >>
    >> The ability for online ordering (e.g. Wiggle) would be a bonus, too.
    >
    >3-in-1 is as good as anything.

    If you ride bikes at the 'cheaper end of the market' like I do then then you might be quite happy
    to buy a litre of chain-saw oil from the sheds. It's about 3.50 for a litre, and does the job
    just fine.

    gb

  13. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Zog The Undeniable wrote:
    > Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    >
    >> I've recently been receiving a lot of advertisements by email for "amazing oil" - perhaps I
    >> should forward them to you? ;-)
    >>
    > Nah - that stuff gives you stiff links.

    And promises to increase the length and girth of you chain - which means it will no longer fit.

    Tony

  14. Tony Raven wrote:

    > And promises to increase the length and girth of you chain - which means it will no longer fit.

    At the very least it would give you a badly scarred ring.

  15. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > My chum Mr. Davies has a friend who recommends chainsaw oil.

    It's the best chain lubricant I've tried yet, and very cheap - about a fiver for 100 years supply.
    It's very clingy and has good water resistance. The downside is that it can be very dirty. Apply to
    a clean chain, one drop per roller. Allow to soak in overnight and use a rag to wipe off as much as
    you can the next morning. The more you get off, the less spatter you'll get, and the less crud it
    will attract. Wipe down again after a wet ride. Clean chain with degreaser and repeat when it seems
    dry or begins to sound gritty.

    --
    Dave...

  16. Sandy Morton

    Sandy Morton Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Just zis Guy,
    you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > 3-in-1 is as good as anything.

    > No it's not. It's pitiful thin stuff which washes out at the first sign of damp weather and sprays
    > everywhere as you ride along.

    Presumably "IMVHO"

    --
    A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk

  17. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 22:56:48 +0000 (GMT), Sandy Morton
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> No it's not. It's pitiful thin stuff which washes out at the first sign of damp weather and
    >> sprays everywhere as you ride along.

    >Presumably "IMVHO"

    More "in my bitter experience." Engine oil, yes, if you don't mind getting skanky trousers, but 3-in-
    1 is a light penetrating oil.

    Guy
    ===
    http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

  18. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    wrote:

    >3-in-1 is as good as anything.

    Not really as it dries out over time leaving a gummy residue.

    --
    Dave...

    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. Mark Twain

  19. Dave Kahn wrote:

    > On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 17:49:09 +0000, Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>3-in-1 is as good as anything.
    >

    > Not really as it dries out over time leaving a gummy residue.

    True, but I usually have to clean the chain well before that happens due to general grit-
    encrustation.

  20. Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

    > On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 22:56:48 +0000 (GMT), Sandy Morton <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>>No it's not. It's pitiful thin stuff which washes out at the first sign of damp weather and
    >>>sprays everywhere as you ride along.
    >

    >>Presumably "IMVHO"
    >

    > More "in my bitter experience." Engine oil, yes, if you don't mind getting skanky trousers, but
    > 3-in-1 is a light penetrating oil.

    Penetrating oil is good for chains!

    I used to use some of the fancier lubes (e.g. Finish Line Cross Country) but they attract just as
    much muck and can be rather difficult to clean off and renew. 3-in-1 comes off pretty easily with
    detergent.

    The main problem with 3-in-1 is that it goes a bit gelatinous with time. I'm not sure whether there
    is a vegetable component in it - castor oil is notorious for this.

    I don't get any problems with flinging if I wipe the chain thoroughly after oiling it.

    Urban myth (which may be true) - Pedro's Syn lube, which was raved over by mountain bikers a few
    years ago, was pure unadulterated Mobil 1 engine oil. All the synthetic techno-waffle on the bottle
    was true, but it wasn't actually developed for the purpose in hand.