Chain oiler

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sam Ford

Well in spite of the reservations several people have expressed here, I am still delighted with my
new chain oiler. I have made a mock up of something that I now intend to build properly, which is a
device connected to a hose that I can stand over the chain and after turning on the water, freewheel
rotate the chain for a couple of minutes and so really wash out the water soluble lubricant the
oiler applies. This leaves me (in my opinion) with a clean chain which I can then oil by a couple of
squeezes on the *** next time I ride. I can't easily imagine anything easier and cleaner, and which
seems to me to fulfil the theoretical needs of only applying oil to a clean chain, and not using the
chain un-lubricated. I shall do the sequence every 100 miles or so initially and see how I go.

Sam Ford wrote:

> Well in spite of the reservations several people have expressed here, I am still delighted with my
> new chain oiler. I have made a mock up of something that I now intend to build properly, which is
> a device connected to a hose that I can stand over the chain and after turning on the water,
> freewheel rotate the chain for a couple of minutes and so really wash out the water soluble
> lubricant the oiler applies. This leaves me (in my opinion) with a clean chain which I can then
> oil by a couple of squeezes on the *** next time I ride.

I recommend taking apart one of the chain links after washing to see how clean it gets inside, where
it counts.

--
Benjamin Lewis

"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you
underneath. At night, the ice weasels come." --Matt Groening

Status
Not open for further replies.