Chain oiler

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Sam Ford, Apr 13, 2003.

  1. Sam Ford

    Sam Ford Guest

    Well in spite of the reservations several people have expressed here, I am still delighted with my
    new chain oiler. I have made a mock up of something that I now intend to build properly, which is a
    device connected to a hose that I can stand over the chain and after turning on the water, freewheel
    rotate the chain for a couple of minutes and so really wash out the water soluble lubricant the
    oiler applies. This leaves me (in my opinion) with a clean chain which I can then oil by a couple of
    squeezes on the tit next time I ride. I can't easily imagine anything easier and cleaner, and which
    seems to me to fulfil the theoretical needs of only applying oil to a clean chain, and not using the
    chain un-lubricated. I shall do the sequence every 100 miles or so initially and see how I go.

    Tags:

  2. Sam Ford wrote:

    > Well in spite of the reservations several people have expressed here, I am still delighted with my
    > new chain oiler. I have made a mock up of something that I now intend to build properly, which is
    > a device connected to a hose that I can stand over the chain and after turning on the water,
    > freewheel rotate the chain for a couple of minutes and so really wash out the water soluble
    > lubricant the oiler applies. This leaves me (in my opinion) with a clean chain which I can then
    > oil by a couple of squeezes on the tit next time I ride.

    I recommend taking apart one of the chain links after washing to see how clean it gets inside, where
    it counts.

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you
    underneath. At night, the ice weasels come." --Matt Groening