Chain pins

Owen

Guest
Bought a new chain and it came with two pins (
http://members.pcug.org.au/~rcook/images/Chain_pins.jpg )

I can't get pin B back in (though I haven't tried a bit more force)

Pin A seems to be a Pin B with an insertion guide which can be broken
off after insertion. This seems to be a 'use once' system and wonder
if I am right on that score?

Seems to be an unsatisfactory means of joining chains and ask if this
some kind of cheapy connection method

TIA

Owen

Owen wrote:
> Bought a new chain and it came with two pins (
> http://members.pcug.org.au/~rcook/images/Chain_pins.jpg )
>
> I can't get pin B back in (though I haven't tried a bit more force)
>
> Pin A seems to be a Pin B with an insertion guide which can be broken
> off after insertion. This seems to be a 'use once' system and wonder
> if I am right on that score?
>
> Seems to be an unsatisfactory means of joining chains and ask if this
> some kind of cheapy connection method

Right on all counts.
Details here:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/shcnwarr.html

and on the paper in your chain package

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

On Sun, 11 May 2008 18:59:33 -0700 (PDT), Owen <[email protected]> may
have said:

>Bought a new chain and it came with two pins (
>http://members.pcug.org.au/~rcook/images/Chain_pins.jpg )
>
>I can't get pin B back in (though I haven't tried a bit more force)
>
>Pin A seems to be a Pin B with an insertion guide which can be broken
>off after insertion. This seems to be a 'use once' system and wonder
>if I am right on that score?
>
>Seems to be an unsatisfactory means of joining chains and ask if this
>some kind of cheapy connection method

Pin B is a used pin that was pushed out with a chainbreaker; both ends
appear peened. It should have been discarded before the chain was
sold to you. Pin B is a Shimano use-once pin, and yes, you insert it
and break it off. Trying to re-use B will likely damage the chain;
don't do it.

Although there are premature wear issues with some of them, I prefer
to use snaplinks instead of Shimano's pins precisely because they
usually can be reused. Since my preferred method of cleaning a chain
is to remove it and solvent-wash it in a 2 liter plastic bottle,
having to buy a new pin each time seems like an unnecessary waste.
The snaplink manufacturers all say that their links work only with
specific models of their own chains, but I have enjoyed wide lack of
symptoms of any compatibility issues as long as I have kept to the
appropriate width of link for the chain. Apparently, there's a great
deal more standardization than is admitted.

sergio wrote:
> I have never seen such a connecting pin.
> How do you break off the stump?

Shimano's directions suggest, as in their drawing, a $2 slipjoint pliers.