Chain Problem

ehilge

Jun 5, 2007
The other day when I was riding my bike my fell popped off from the front gears and lodged itself between the bottom bracket and the smallest gear. In the process of dislodging the chain, I managed to twist a link in the chain about 20-30 degrees. Is this something I might be able to bend back with a pair of pliars or do I need a new chain? Or is it possible to just get that link replaced? Thanks for your help!

You should replace the link if that is practical for you. Sometimes a bike comes with a longer chain than is actually needed. If you check, you may find that you can just remove the damaged link and the one next to it and still be OK. At the very least though, replace the bad link. Your LBS can probably help you with this.

ehilge said:
The other day when I was riding my bike my fell popped off from the front gears and lodged itself between the bottom bracket and the smallest gear. In the process of dislodging the chain, I managed to twist a link in the chain about 20-30 degrees. Is this something I might be able to bend back with a pair of pliars or do I need a new chain? Or is it possible to just get that link replaced? Thanks for your help!

I agree that you shouldn't try to fix the bad link. You can either remove or replace the bad link. As suggested, your bike shop can help you. If the chain is old, consider getting a new one.