Chain Problems

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Gags, Sep 10, 2003.

  1. Gags

    Gags Guest

    On the weekend, I had my mountain bike serviced (first one after 1800km of
    commuting to and from work on the Yarra Trail). I rode to work on Monday and
    it was great.......smooth shifts.......brakes that actually pulled me up in
    a hurry (although they are noisy as all hell.......think I need to give them
    a bit of "toe in").

    Anyway, I was on my way home tonight, accelerating out of a corner, and the
    next thing I know I am spinning the pedals and nothing is happening. One of
    the links had come undone and my chain was sitting on the bike path!!!!!!!

    Should I blame the bike shop for not joining the chain properly after the
    service given that I had only done 78km since the service??? Or is it
    possible that one of the other links (ie. not the one that they broke to get
    the chain off) spontaneously decided to give way?? I did have a link start
    to peel apart on my road bike last year in Canberra (chain was replaced
    under warranty) so I am wondering if it is a common occurence for bigger
    guys (I am 195cm and 97 or so kg - easily over 100kg with loaded backpack).
    Has anyone ever heard of this being a problem for heavier people??

    Gags

    Tags:

  2. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    to peel apart on my road bike last year in Canberra (chain was replaced
    : under warranty) so I am wondering if it is a common occurence for bigger
    : guys (I am 195cm and 97 or so kg - easily over 100kg with loaded
    backpack).
    : Has anyone ever heard of this being a problem for heavier people??
    :

    I am 105kg and I have had it happen but I doubt it had anything to do with
    my weight. I ride 42km's a day on commute with hills. I had it happen when
    I must not have put it back on properly after a chain clean. I found that
    it happened about 60 or so k's after I did it. I actually ended up buying
    one of those cool links that you can do up and undo easily. I also keep one
    in my tool kit... just in case.

  3. NickZX6R

    NickZX6R Guest

    Gags <[email protected]_ozemail.com.au> wrote:
    > On the weekend, I had my mountain bike serviced (first one after 1800km of
    > commuting to and from work on the Yarra Trail). I rode to work on Monday and
    > it was great.......smooth shifts.......brakes that actually pulled me up in
    > a hurry (although they are noisy as all hell.......think I need to give them
    > a bit of "toe in").

    > Anyway, I was on my way home tonight, accelerating out of a corner, and the
    > next thing I know I am spinning the pedals and nothing is happening. One of
    > the links had come undone and my chain was sitting on the bike path!!!!!!!

    > Should I blame the bike shop for not joining the chain properly after the
    > service given that I had only done 78km since the service??? Or is it
    > possible that one of the other links (ie. not the one that they broke to get
    > the chain off) spontaneously decided to give way?? I did have a link start
    > to peel apart on my road bike last year in Canberra (chain was replaced
    > under warranty) so I am wondering if it is a common occurence for bigger
    > guys (I am 195cm and 97 or so kg - easily over 100kg with loaded backpack).
    > Has anyone ever heard of this being a problem for heavier people??

    > Gags

    Dunno whether this is a common thing or not - I've never known anyone who's
    broken a chain (except in a crash).

    But I doubt that the servicing had anything to do with it. Unless there
    was a specific reason, I don't think they'd take the chain off for a
    service. Especially since after 1800kms it's probably only cable adjustments
    that are needed.

    Maybe you've just got _really_ strong legs :)

    Cheers
    -Nick

  4. "Gags" <[email protected]_ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
[...]

    no offence but it's a little unlikely that it's your legs or weight -
    imagine the power Baden Cooke is unleashing in a sprint....
    I've seen a buddy snap a chain - he missed a shift and obviously the chain
    recieved more sideward loading than it could cope with. In his instance it
    happened all at once, but I'd imagine it'd be possible that you may have
    done the same while ago but the chain held together until something, or just
    time, caused it to let go.
    Of course no product is perfect - maybe you got a dud chain?

    nick

  5. Gags <[email protected]_ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On the weekend, I had my mountain bike serviced (first one after 1800km of
    > commuting to and from work on the Yarra Trail). I rode to work on Monday

    and
    > it was great.......smooth shifts.......brakes that actually pulled me up

    in
    > a hurry (although they are noisy as all hell.......think I need to give

    them
    > a bit of "toe in").
    >
    > Anyway, I was on my way home tonight, accelerating out of a corner, and

    the
    > next thing I know I am spinning the pedals and nothing is happening. One

    of
    > the links had come undone and my chain was sitting on the bike path!!!!!!!
    >
    > Should I blame the bike shop for not joining the chain properly after the
    > service given that I had only done 78km since the service??? Or is it
    > possible that one of the other links (ie. not the one that they broke to

    get
    > the chain off) spontaneously decided to give way?? I did have a link

    start
    > to peel apart on my road bike last year in Canberra (chain was replaced
    > under warranty) so I am wondering if it is a common occurence for bigger
    > guys (I am 195cm and 97 or so kg - easily over 100kg with loaded

    backpack).
    > Has anyone ever heard of this being a problem for heavier people??

    I am around 90 kgs, and had broken the chain on my shogun about 3 times.
    Bought a new one, and have had no probs since.

    I wouldn't mess around if I were you. For about $25 you can get a good chain
    that should not break. Anything cheaper than that is probably junk. You have
    done 1800 km? That might mean your rear gear cluster will have to be
    replaced too. My bike had done about 1000 km, and didn't need a new cluster
    with the new chain.

    Whether you can pin it on the bike shop is a bit doubtful. Did they need to
    break the chain for any particular reason? I avoid ever taking a chain off
    unless it is really necessary. The process of pushing the pins in and out
    can often result in a damaged link, as may have happened in your case.
    ---
    DFM

  6. Gary K

    Gary K Guest

    Its not a common occurence, chains that are joined properly never break.
    You're weight isnt an issue. I haven't had a chain breakage in 80,000km
    (not same chain), because I'm the only one who joins them and make sure
    the job is done properly, with the right amount of pin protrusion on
    both plates. ( I've had a few breakages before 10 years ago, when I was
    careless). I'd say your chain broke at where the dufus joined it, as
    there's no reason to break elsewhere.

    Gags <[email protected]_ozemail.com.au> wrote:

    > On the weekend, I had my mountain bike serviced (first one after 1800km of
    > commuting to and from work on the Yarra Trail). I rode to work on Monday and
    > it was great.......smooth shifts.......brakes that actually pulled me up in
    > a hurry (although they are noisy as all hell.......think I need to give them
    > a bit of "toe in").
    >
    > Anyway, I was on my way home tonight, accelerating out of a corner, and the
    > next thing I know I am spinning the pedals and nothing is happening. One of
    > the links had come undone and my chain was sitting on the bike path!!!!!!!
    >
    > Should I blame the bike shop for not joining the chain properly after the
    > service given that I had only done 78km since the service??? Or is it
    > possible that one of the other links (ie. not the one that they broke to get
    > the chain off) spontaneously decided to give way?? I did have a link start
    > to peel apart on my road bike last year in Canberra (chain was replaced
    > under warranty) so I am wondering if it is a common occurence for bigger
    > guys (I am 195cm and 97 or so kg - easily over 100kg with loaded backpack).
    > Has anyone ever heard of this being a problem for heavier people??
    >
    > Gags

  7. amirm

    amirm Guest

    Gags wrote:
    > On the weekend, I had my mountain bike serviced (first one after 1800km
    > of commuting to and from work on the Yarra Trail). I rode to work on
    > Monday and it was great.......smooth shifts.......brakes that actually
    > pulled me up in a hurry (although they are noisy as all hell.......think
    > I need to give them a bit of "toe in").
    > Anyway, I was on my way home tonight, accelerating out of a corner, and
    > the next thing I know I am spinning the pedals and nothing is happening.
    > One of the links had come undone and my chain was sitting on the bike
    > path!!!!!!!
    > Should I blame the bike shop for not joining the chain properly after
    > the service given that I had only done 78km since the service??? Or is
    > it possible that one of the other links (ie. not the one that they broke
    > to get the chain off) spontaneously decided to give way?? I did have a
    > link start to peel apart on my road bike last year in Canberra (chain
    > was replaced under warranty) so I am wondering if it is a common
    > occurence for bigger guys (I am 195cm and 97 or so kg - easily over
    > 100kg with loaded backpack). Has anyone ever heard of this being a
    > problem for heavier people??
    > Gags

    A few things that I can throw in:

    1. My previous commuting bike came stock with a Shimano IG30 chain.
    After about 200 km, one day on my way back home I was waiting at the
    traffic light. Upon starting to push, I heard a clunk noise, and
    when I had a look, the joining pin had escaped one of the link
    plates, and because of the pressure, the othe link involved in that
    point was bent. The bike shop changed it under warranty, but notebly
    they said that certain Shimano joining pins were notorious for doing
    that, and they put some aftermarket (reliable) pin. Never had that
    problem again.

    2. I doubt that they removed the chain for cleaning. Usually they do it
    on the bike. But you can still take the bike back. One way or other
    the repair should be covered under warranty (given that for most of
    brands they give 1 year warranty, and I hope you have got one).

    3. If the pin on your broken chain (the pin at the broken link) is not
    lost, you may be able to see whether it is the one like all other
    pins in the chain, or is the one that they used to close the chain.
    All pins on the chain links will look identical except the one that
    is used by the mechanic/owner. It looks different. It's hard to
    describe, but if you see it, you can tell. That could help to see
    whether there was a fault with the chain, or with the way the put
    the chain together.

  8. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    probably junk. You have
    : done 1800 km? That might mean your rear gear cluster will have to be
    : replaced too. My bike had done about 1000 km, and didn't need a new
    cluster
    : with the new chain.

    You should not need a new cluster at 1800km unless you have been constantly
    riding through dirt and mud with no cleaning. Anyway as I said if the pin
    is not replaced correctly then it can come out as I have experienced.

    :
    : Whether you can pin it on the bike shop is a bit doubtful. Did they need
    : break the chain for any particular reason? I avoid ever taking a chain off
    : unless it is really necessary. The process of pushing the pins in and out
    : can often result in a damaged link, as may have happened in your case.

    I personally find it necessary to remove to clean it. I bought a removable
    link and keep one in my tool bag for good measure. You can use this link to
    remove the chain and they are strong. I am 105kg and have some steep kinks
    in the road that require me to really stand on it and I have never broken
    the removable link. Constantly removing pins and putting them back in is
    probably asking for trouble hence the link.

    Pete

  9. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    : Yes, I have had similar problems on a tandem. The
    : simplest solution is called a chain-breaker, costs about $10 for a bike
    : shop, then you can do it yourself, anywhere, anytime.
    : Regards,
    : Ray.

    Agree. A chain breaker is a must on your carry on tools. You can get them
    very compact and I have found it useful not just for me but others who I
    have come across with the problem.

    Pete

  10. John Doe <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]
    > probably junk. You have
    > : done 1800 km? That might mean your rear gear cluster will have to be
    > : replaced too. My bike had done about 1000 km, and didn't need a new
    > cluster
    > : with the new chain.
    >
    > You should not need a new cluster at 1800km unless you have been

    constantly
    > riding through dirt and mud with no cleaning. Anyway as I said if the pin
    > is not replaced correctly then it can come out as I have experienced.
    >
    > :
    > : Whether you can pin it on the bike shop is a bit doubtful. Did they need
    > : break the chain for any particular reason? I avoid ever taking a chain

    off
    > : unless it is really necessary. The process of pushing the pins in and

    out
    > : can often result in a damaged link, as may have happened in your case.
    >

    > I personally find it necessary to remove to clean it.

    I have been using the olive oil technique for cleaning, which does not
    require removal of the chain. I simply apply plenty of olive oil to the
    chain (doesn't matter if you spill it everywhere), lay it down in a shed
    somewhere overnight, and let the rats clean it up. It works brilliantly, and
    it very easy to do. Sure beats using chemicals which you inevitably come in
    contact with.
    ---
    DFM

  11. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Deep Flayed Mares" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:3BQ7b.2788
    > I have been using the olive oil technique for cleaning, which does not
    > require removal of the chain. I simply apply plenty of olive oil to

    the
    > chain (doesn't matter if you spill it everywhere), lay it down in a

    shed
    > somewhere overnight, and let the rats clean it up. It works

    brilliantly, and
    > it very easy to do. Sure beats using chemicals which you inevitably

    come in
    > contact with.

    What if you don't have rats?
    Can you suggest an alternative?
    What about pouring VB all over the chain so the local
    bogans will lick it clean? Should I use stubby or can?

    hippy
    - Before you all get offended.. I drink VB...
    - but only when under the influence with impaired judgement :p

  12. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    : What if you don't have rats?
    : Can you suggest an alternative?
    : What about pouring VB all over the chain so the local
    : bogans will lick it clean? Should I use stubby or can?
    :

    LOL. Yes well I have been through all the different methods before and we
    have covered them at length in the NG before and I find that removal is my
    personal preferred method. Its just what suits you the best I guess.

    Pete

  13. hippy

    hippy Guest

    > LOL. Yes well I have been through all the different methods before
    and we
    > have covered them at length in the NG before and I find that removal

    is my
    > personal preferred method. Its just what suits you the best I guess.

    With a chain breaker, chain removal is a non-event.. too easy.
    Removing the chain also means you don't get any cleaner on
    your bike frame, rear wheel or cranks.

    hippy
    I would clean my chains more often if I wasn't so lazy :)
    I like the grinding noise anyway.. helps me calculate cadence ;-)

  14. Glen F

    Glen F Guest

    Where were all you guys who know about Shimano joiner pins breaking
    when I asked ( http://tinyurl.com/mym0 ) a few months back?

  15. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Glen F" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Where were all you guys who know about Shimano joiner pins breaking
    > when I asked ( http://tinyurl.com/mym0 ) a few months back?

    I've never heard of the pins breaking and I've never had it
    happen personally. I've also re-used pins to join chains
    also with no problems.
    I've recently fitted an SRAM joiner link to my singlespeed
    chain and haven't had any issues with it yet (not a even a
    month old though).

    hippy
    - maybe I'm not powerful enough to break 'em?

  16. Arpit

    Arpit Guest

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 22:09:10 +1000, "Nicholas & Domino"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Gags" <[email protected]_ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >On the weekend, I had my mountain bike serviced (first one after 1800km of
    >commuting to and from work on the Yarra Trail). I rode to work on Monday and
    >it was great.......smooth shifts.......brakes that actually pulled me up in
    >a hurry (although they are noisy as all hell.......think I need to give them
    >a bit of "toe in").
    >
    >Anyway, I was on my way home tonight, accelerating out of a corner, and the
    >next thing I know I am spinning the pedals and nothing is happening. One of
    >the links had come undone and my chain was sitting on the bike path!!!!!!!
    >
    >Should I blame the bike shop for not joining the chain properly after the
    >service given that I had only done 78km since the service??? Or is it
    >possible that one of the other links (ie. not the one that they broke to get
    >the chain off) spontaneously decided to give way?? I did have a link start
    >to peel apart on my road bike last year in Canberra (chain was replaced
    >under warranty) so I am wondering if it is a common occurence for bigger
    >guys (I am 195cm and 97 or so kg - easily over 100kg with loaded backpack).
    >Has anyone ever heard of this being a problem for heavier people??
    >
    >Gags
    >

    >no offence but it's a little unlikely that it's your legs or weight -
    >imagine the power Baden Cooke is unleashing in a sprint....
    >I've seen a buddy snap a chain - he missed a shift and obviously the chain
    >recieved more sideward loading than it could cope with. In his instance it
    >happened all at once, but I'd imagine it'd be possible that you may have
    >done the same while ago but the chain held together until something, or just
    >time, caused it to let go.

    *shrug* it happens, ive broken chains on bmx bikes, and they are
    supposed to be pretty stong.
    >Of course no product is perfect - maybe you got a dud chain?
    >
    >nick

  17. Gags

    Gags Guest

    Thanks for all the comments......I tried ringing the bike store tonight and
    they musta shut shop 10 min early cos I got no answer......will ring again
    tomorrow. I used to carry a chain breaker with me on my old mountain bike
    as I pretty well only used it for off-road and didn't want to get stuck in
    the middle of nowhere, but as I am now just riding on the Yarra trail to and
    from work, I put the chain breaker back in the toolbox. A guy at work today
    said that he always carries a couple of zip ties and a blade to trim them
    with.........reckons that they will get you home in an emergency......sounds
    like a good idea, but I dunno about shifting gears??

    On my old bike (with Shimano 7 spd cluster), I had the same chain for 7
    years and I used the chain breaker to take it off heaps of times for
    cleaning, re-using the same pin each time when I put it back on. I have
    since been told that this is not a good idea and that there are special pins
    that are slightly over-diameter and have a snap-off bit on the end??? (I
    have never seen one). The chain I lost yesterday is a Shimano 9
    spd.......it is only a guess, but perhaps they are a weaker chain and more
    susceptible to lateral flex due to them being narrower????

    Anyone got any recomendations for a new 9 spd chain???

    Gags

    "Gags" <[email protected]_ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On the weekend, I had my mountain bike serviced (first one after 1800km of
    > commuting to and from work on the Yarra Trail). I rode to work on Monday

    and
    > it was great.......smooth shifts.......brakes that actually pulled me up

    in
    > a hurry (although they are noisy as all hell.......think I need to give

    them
    > a bit of "toe in").
    >
    > Anyway, I was on my way home tonight, accelerating out of a corner, and

    the
    > next thing I know I am spinning the pedals and nothing is happening. One

    of
    > the links had come undone and my chain was sitting on the bike path!!!!!!!
    >
    > Should I blame the bike shop for not joining the chain properly after the
    > service given that I had only done 78km since the service??? Or is it
    > possible that one of the other links (ie. not the one that they broke to

    get
    > the chain off) spontaneously decided to give way?? I did have a link

    start
    > to peel apart on my road bike last year in Canberra (chain was replaced
    > under warranty) so I am wondering if it is a common occurence for bigger
    > guys (I am 195cm and 97 or so kg - easily over 100kg with loaded

    backpack).
    > Has anyone ever heard of this being a problem for heavier people??
    >
    > Gags

  18. Jonas

    Jonas Guest

    i'm with gary here... i've only seen chains snap when people are cranking
    through a gear change.
    jonas

    > Its not a common occurence, chains that are joined properly never break.
    > You're weight isnt an issue. I haven't had a chain breakage in 80,000km
    > (not same chain), because I'm the only one who joins them and make sure
    > the job is done properly, with the right amount of pin protrusion on
    > both plates. ( I've had a few breakages before 10 years ago, when I was
    > careless). I'd say your chain broke at where the dufus joined it, as
    > there's no reason to break elsewhere.
    >
    > "Gary K"

  19. Andrew Swan

    Andrew Swan Guest

    Gags wrote:
    <snip>

    > Anyone got any recomendations for a new 9 spd chain???
    >
    > Gags

    <snip>

    One of my LBSes swears by Wippermans and doesn't even sell Shimanos any
    more. I've only had my Wipp for a month or two now, but it seems fine
    and the little hand-openable link has got to be a bonus when it comes
    time for cleaning - no chain-breaker, no inserting a new pin each time,
    no tight links, etc.

    &roo

  20. Gary K

    Gary K Guest

    Gags <[email protected]_ozemail.com.au> wrote:

    > Thanks for all the comments......I tried ringing the bike store tonight and
    > they musta shut shop 10 min early cos I got no answer......will ring again
    > tomorrow. I used to carry a chain breaker with me on my old mountain bike
    > as I pretty well only used it for off-road and didn't want to get stuck in
    > the middle of nowhere, but as I am now just riding on the Yarra trail to and
    > from work, I put the chain breaker back in the toolbox. A guy at work today
    > said that he always carries a couple of zip ties and a blade to trim them
    > with.........reckons that they will get you home in an emergency......sounds
    > like a good idea, but I dunno about shifting gears??
    >
    > On my old bike (with Shimano 7 spd cluster), I had the same chain for 7
    > years and I used the chain breaker to take it off heaps of times for
    > cleaning, re-using the same pin each time when I put it back on. I have
    > since been told that this is not a good idea and that there are special pins
    > that are slightly over-diameter and have a snap-off bit on the end??? (I
    > have never seen one). The chain I lost yesterday is a Shimano 9
    > spd.......it is only a guess, but perhaps they are a weaker chain and more
    > susceptible to lateral flex due to them being narrower????
    >
    > Anyone got any recomendations for a new 9 spd chain???

    Sachs are excellent.

    GK