Chain Problems

Ken Braatz

Guest
I'm having some serious problems keeping the chain on the chain rings during any kind of hard
riding. Particularly, the chain pops most frequently when riding through a depression or anything
with a quick/sharp uphill transition, such as a stream bank.

It happens in the middle and big rings, regardless of gear in the back. The pop is usually right
when I give that quick push to get up the other side of the depression or stream bank. Nothing
major, just that quick downstroke and off it goes, jammed between the granny gear and the bottom
bracket. The setup is pretty basic:

2002 Trek Alpha AL frame LX Rear Der. (New < 500mi.) SRAM 5.0 Cassette (New < 100mi.) SRAM PC 58
Chain (New < 100mi.) Cheap-O SunTour crankset (Orig. >1400mi.)

The bike is tuned up pretty good and is kept clean and lubed. I have no trouble shifting front or
rear -- it's actually pretty sweet. Only minor rubbing on the front der. when in the
'big-big/small-small' config, which I don't run in anyway. I don't have any problems with chain skip
or chain suck other than the fact that it really sucks when my chain pops and I'm left standing in
icy water.

I'm guessing that it's the crankset or that the chain is too long. THe crankset is on my list to
replace (probably a RaceFace Prodigy XC or something like that) but any input would be appreciated.
If it is the chain being too long, how can I determine the correct length? When I replaced it, I
made the new chain the same exact length as the original (which had only about 500mi. on it).

Thanks!

news:[email protected]...

http://www.execulink.com/~dtierney/wmc/faq.htm#WTQ1

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

On Mon, 02 Dec 2002 21:36:43 -0500, Ken Braatz <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm having some serious problems keeping the chain on the chain rings during any kind of
>hard riding.
That's no fun

>The setup is pretty basic:
>
>2002 Trek Alpha AL frame LX Rear Der. (New < 500mi.) SRAM 5.0 Cassette (New < 100mi.) SRAM PC 58
>Chain (New < 100mi.) Cheap-O SunTour crankset (Orig. >1400mi.)
Not basic enough

> I don't have any problems with chain skip or chain suck other than the fact that it really sucks
> when my chain pops and I'm left standing in icy water.
That's no fun either

>I'm guessing that it's the crankset or that the chain is too long.
Nope, that's not the problem

SS

>Thanks!
You're welcome.

Peace, The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
:-]

I thought sun went under awhile ago...well anyway I have found that I can put on 30 miles in the
winter and screw everything in the drivetrain or I can do countless miles during the summer on
pavement...Those are the two extremes...you may want to rely scrutinize your drivetrain...if you
changed out one part of it you have to do the rest of it "Ken Braatz"

> [...]

> Chain (New < 100mi.) Cheap-O SunTour crankset (Orig. >1400mi.)
>
> The bike is tuned up pretty good and is kept clean and lubed. I have no trouble shifting front or
> rear -- it's actually pretty sweet. Only minor rubbing on the front der. when in the
> 'big-big/small-small' config, which I don't run in anyway. I don't have any problems with chain
> skip or chain suck other than the fact that it really sucks when my chain pops and I'm left
> standing in icy water.
>
> I'm guessing that it's the crankset or that the chain is too long. THe crankset is on my list to
> replace (probably a RaceFace Prodigy XC or something like that) but any input would be
> appreciated. If it is the chain being too long, how can I determine the correct length? When I
> replaced it, I made the new chain the same exact length as the original (which had only about

A friend bought a Giant DS2 Warp - came with a S*nt**r crankset. He had constant chain drop offs and
eventually really bad chainsuck. I scored a deal for him on a RaceFace Prodigy XC crankset.... he
hasn't had a problem yet. I'm not sure if that will help you out, but at least it's not a completely
pointless and unusable reply, like everyone elses'. :)

--
Cameron

Ken Braatz wrote:

> I'm guessing that it's the crankset or that the chain is too long.

This would be my guess, ie, the chain's too long. Usually, the chain jumping off symptoms will
manifest themselves on rocky, bumpy downhills. Normally, if you just cruise out with light pedal
strokes at the bottom of a hill the chain will hook back up on the rings, often without you
noticing. As you're trying to stamp on the pedals to get up the rise on the other side, the chain's
just jamming.

THe
> crankset is on my list to replace (probably a RaceFace Prodigy XC or something like that) but
> any input would be appreciated. If it is the chain being too long, how can I determine the
> correct length?

When in big ring - big sprocket combo, the derailleur should be totally stretched. In fact, I can't
actually shift in to big / big on my bike because I've set up the chain deliberately short to avoid
the problems you're experiencing. Pull the derailleur up towards the chainstay and work out if you
can pull a link out (remember that one link is effectively two pieces of the chain).

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://bombacommand.iwarp.com/ambfaq.htm

b.bmx FAQ: http://bombacommand.iwarp.com/bmx_faq.htm

Ken Braatz wrote:
> I'm having some serious problems keeping the chain on the chain rings during any kind of hard
> riding. Particularly, the chain pops most frequently when riding through a depression or anything
> with a quick/sharp uphill transition, such as a stream bank.
>
> It happens in the middle and big rings, regardless of gear in the back. The pop is usually right
> when I give that quick push to get up the other side of the depression or stream bank. Nothing
> major, just that quick downstroke and off it goes, jammed between the granny gear and the bottom
> bracket. The setup is pretty basic:
>
> 2002 Trek Alpha AL frame LX Rear Der. (New < 500mi.) SRAM 5.0 Cassette (New < 100mi.) SRAM PC 58
> Chain (New < 100mi.) Cheap-O SunTour crankset (Orig. >1400mi.)
>
> The bike is tuned up pretty good and is kept clean and lubed. I have no trouble shifting front or
> rear -- it's actually pretty sweet. Only minor rubbing on the front der. when in the
> 'big-big/small-small' config, which I don't run in anyway. I don't have any problems with chain
> skip or chain suck other than the fact that it really sucks when my chain pops and I'm left
> standing in icy water.
>
> I'm guessing that it's the crankset or that the chain is too long. THe crankset is on my list to
> replace (probably a RaceFace Prodigy XC or something like that) but any input would be
> appreciated. If it is the chain being too long, how can I determine the correct length? When I
> replaced it, I made the new chain the same exact length as the original (which had only about
> 500mi. on it).

Could be chain length -- if you thread it outside the rear DR and put it on the big-big combination,
you should have 1/2-1 full link.

But, I'd guess that it's either a chainline problem or that when your suspension compresses (is it a
FS bike?), the front DR cable's getting pulled or shifted somehow. But, you said that it's coming
off on the inside?

To check the chainline, the middle chain-ring should line up with the middle cassette ring. Often,
it's one higher on the cassette. I put a straight edge against the middle CR and see where it hits
in the back. But, you can sight down the chain and see if it's far off.

David Kunz

> config, which I don't run in anyway. I don't have any problems with chain skip or chain suck other
> than the fact that it really sucks when my chain pops and I'm left standing in icy water.
>
> I'm guessing that it's the crankset or that the chain is too long. THe crankset is on my list to
> replace (probably a RaceFace Prodigy XC or something like that) but any input would be
> appreciated. If it is the chain being too long, how can I determine the correct length? When I
> replaced it, I made the new chain the same exact length as the original (which had only about
> 500mi. on it).
>
> Thanks!

Chances are those two rings are so worn they won't hold a chain anymore. Are the teeth just about
worn off or not symetrical in shape?

--