Chain Reaction wheels? & MTB wheel wanted

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Pete Biggs, May 1, 2003.

  1. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    My brother needs a new mountain bike rear wheel..............

    Anyone got experience of Chain Reaction's MTB wheel build quality? Good?

    Any postage charge for a single wheel? (Will ask them tomorrow if nec).

    Which of their rim options would make sense for the occasional bit of off-roading with 2.1
    knobblies, but mostly road riding with 1.5 slicks complete with a bit of pothole and kerb abuse?
    (For 26" rear wheel on rigid bike with V-brakes, rider under 13 stone). Mavic 517 XC?

    How come everyone uses 32-spoked wheels for MTB's now? Is the advantage of 36 not worth
    bothering with?

    Any other wheel builder recommendations for these type of wheels?

    Might consider a used rear wheel instead. Please email with full details & price if you have
    anything suitable for the above use (and could post). Must have Shimano (or equally good) hub and be
    in excellent condition, pref with double butted stainless spokes.

    thanks ~PB

    Tags:

  2. Malk

    Malk Guest

    Pete Biggs wrote:
    > My brother needs a new mountain bike rear wheel..............
    >
    > Anyone got experience of Chain Reaction's MTB wheel build quality? Good?
    >
    > Any postage charge for a single wheel? (Will ask them tomorrow if nec).
    >
    > Which of their rim options would make sense for the occasional bit of off-roading with 2.1
    > knobblies, but mostly road riding with 1.5 slicks complete with a bit of pothole and kerb abuse?
    > (For 26" rear wheel on rigid bike with V-brakes, rider under 13 stone). Mavic 517 XC?
    >
    > How come everyone uses 32-spoked wheels for MTB's now? Is the advantage of 36 not worth
    > bothering with?
    >
    > Any other wheel builder recommendations for these type of wheels?
    >
    > Might consider a used rear wheel instead. Please email with full details & price if you have
    > anything suitable for the above use (and could post). Must have Shimano (or equally good) hub and
    > be in excellent condition, pref with double butted stainless spokes.
    >
    > thanks ~PB

    No experience of chain reaction wheels butI bought a set of x317 disc from Merlin Cycles
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/acatalog/Off_Road_SHop.html as they had good reviews. The service
    was excellent, quick delivery, phoned to check spec and the wheels have withstood much abuse.
    regards Malk

  3. Mark Davies

    Mark Davies Guest

    > Anyone got experience of Chain Reaction's MTB wheel build quality? Good?

    No experience of wheel builds, but they deliver promptly and reliably, and seemed helpful when I
    emailed a query abouty the brakes I'd ordered.

    > Any postage charge for a single wheel? (Will ask them tomorrow if nec).

    You'll have to ask them - it varies by delivery method.

    > Which of their rim options would make sense for the occasional bit of off-roading with 2.1
    > knobblies, but mostly road riding with 1.5 slicks complete with a bit of pothole and kerb abuse?
    > (For 26" rear wheel on rigid bike with V-brakes, rider under 13 stone). Mavic 517 XC?

    Unless you're racing get something like Mavic 618 for something a bit more robust, and with longer
    lasting braking surfaces, for a small increase in weight. Alternatively Mavic F519 for similar
    all-purpose wheels rather than race-light ones. The latter is what I use for general XC riding.

    > How come everyone uses 32-spoked wheels for MTB's now? Is the advantage of 36 not worth
    > bothering with?

    Search me!? I'm well over 14st, and 32 hole has been OK for me.

    > Any other wheel builder recommendations for these type of wheels?

    Merlin Cycles. http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/ Bought some from there two years ago, and they've done
    well, used exclusively off-road, only needing the odd mild tweak.

    --

    Mark Davies

  4. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Malk <[email protected]> typed:

    > No experience of chain reaction wheels butI bought a set of x317 disc from Merlin Cycles
    > http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/acatalog/Off_Road_SHop.html as they had good reviews. The service
    > was excellent, quick delivery, phoned to check spec and the wheels have withstood much abuse.
    > regards Malk

    Ditto that

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Mark Davies wrote: /snip
    >> Any postage charge for a single wheel? (Will ask them tomorrow if nec).
    >
    > You'll have to ask them - it varies by delivery method.

    I now know Chain Reaction's postage is free even for a wheel. Merlin's is £6.50 but with lower wheel
    prices. So I think we'll go with Merlin if buying new.

    >> Which of their rim options would make sense for the occasional bit of off-roading with 2.1
    >> knobblies, but mostly road riding with 1.5 slicks complete with a bit of pothole and kerb abuse?
    >> (For 26" rear wheel on rigid bike with V-brakes, rider under 13 stone). Mavic 517 XC?
    >
    > Unless you're racing get something like Mavic 618 for something a bit more robust, and with longer
    > lasting braking surfaces, for a small increase in weight.

    And width. What width is best for 1.5 and 1.3" tyres? (Bearing in mind narrower rims enable the tyre
    to have a more rounded profile).

    > Alternatively Mavic F519 for similar all-purpose wheels rather than race-light ones. The latter is
    > what I use for general XC riding.

    Thanks all for all the info. Merlin offer the X221 cheap: From the Mavic site, this seems to be
    quite beefy enough one (double walled), but no mention of width.

    ~PB

  6. Mark Davies

    Mark Davies Guest

    > Thanks all for all the info. Merlin offer the X221 cheap: From the Mavic site, this seems to be
    > quite beefy enough one (double walled), but no mention of width.
    >
    > ~PB

    I've got an X221 as the front on my spare wheelset, which are fitted with Specialized Nimbii
    (1.5's). It's about the same width as an X517. Mavic's website is very informative as to dimensions
    (most e-tailers rip off the graphics for their rims pages). The X221 is not very robust - I was
    forever truing it up when using it for XC. It's fine for road use however.

    --

    Mark Davies

  7. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Mark Davies wrote:
    >> Thanks all for all the info. Merlin offer the X221 cheap: From the Mavic site, this seems to be
    >> quite beefy enough one (double walled), but no mention of width.

    > I've got an X221 as the front on my spare wheelset, which are fitted with Specialized Nimbii
    > (1.5's). It's about the same width as an X517. Mavic's website is very informative as to
    > dimensions

    Not any more, it's not. Have a look at
    http://www.mavic.com/servlet/srt/mavic/comp-prod_fiche?produitsid=59&lg=uk

    > (most e-tailers rip off the graphics for their rims pages).

    ...Usually from the previous version of the website.

    > The X221 is not very robust - I was forever truing it up when using it for XC. It's fine for road
    > use however.

    Thanks for the warning.

    ~PB

  8. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Pete Biggs wrote:
    > I now know Chain Reaction's postage is free even for a wheel. Merlin's is £6.50 but with lower
    > wheel prices. So I think we'll go with Merlin if buying new.

    Actually, total prices are about the same with same rims, so I'm not sure now! (Who builds the
    better wheels?, I wonder).

    ~PB

  9. On Thu, 01 May 2003 23:06:02 +0100, Pete Biggs did issue forth:

    > Anyone got experience of Chain Reaction's MTB wheel build quality? Good?

    I've encountered Chain Reaction's wheels on a few occasions. Never bought any myself, but I've had
    to true a few after alarmingly short amounts of time on the bike. In my opinion, they build the
    wheels too loose.

    > Which of their rim options would make sense for the occasional bit of off-roading with 2.1
    > knobblies, but mostly road riding with 1.5 slicks complete with a bit of pothole and kerb abuse?
    > (For 26" rear wheel on rigid bike with V-brakes, rider under 13 stone). Mavic 517 XC?

    517XC is a good rim and for what your brother gets up to there's probably no better choice.

  10. Mark Davies

    Mark Davies Guest

  11. Ian

    Ian Guest

    Pete Biggs wrote:
    > My brother needs a new mountain bike rear wheel..............
    >
    > Anyone got experience of Chain Reaction's MTB wheel build quality? Good?

    I bought a rear wheel from chainreaction a few years ago and was very disappointed - the wheels
    needed truing in no time at all. Since then I have used wheels from Merlin Cycles which have always
    been excellent.

    Ian.

  12. Zutlewurdle

    Zutlewurdle Guest

    > Anyone got experience of Chain Reaction's MTB wheel build quality? Good?

    I haven't but can only echo the fact I'm well impressed with the wheels i bought from Merlin a few
    years back. Were strong and have always been superb.

    I am very fat, so that's saying a lot :0)

    Z.

  13. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Zutlewurdle wrote:
    >> Anyone got experience of Chain Reaction's MTB wheel build quality? Good?
    >
    > I haven't but can only echo the fact I'm well impressed with the wheels i bought from Merlin a few
    > years back. Were strong and have always been superb.
    >
    > I am very fat, so that's saying a lot :0)

    Thanks a lot Zutle and everyone who's recommended Merlin. Been tons of goods comments on
    their wheels but none for CR wheels, so we'll place an order with Merlin. Still haven't
    decided on rim yet.

    ~PB

  14. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    > My brother needs a new mountain bike rear wheel..............
    >
    > Anyone got experience of Chain Reaction's MTB wheel build quality?

    No.

    Good?

    Dunno. But their wheel price is less than the sum of the parts so if you're capable of trueing etc.
    I'd give 'em a try.

    > Which of their rim options would make sense for the occasional bit of off-roading with 2.1
    > knobblies, but mostly road riding with 1.5 slicks complete with a bit of pothole and kerb abuse?
    > (For 26" rear wheel on rigid bike with V-brakes, rider under 13 stone). Mavic 517 XC?
    >
    > How come everyone uses 32-spoked wheels for MTB's now? Is the advantage of 36 not worth
    > bothering with?

    Pete, I weigh 84kg and have been using 32 hole 221's (amonst others) for XC on rugged tracks (Peak
    district, Black Mountains etc) and have had no real problems. After 3 years the braking surfaces
    have worn and I've replaced the rear with a 517 simply because my LBS had no 221's and the 517 was a
    good price. After several hard rides it's remained true.

    Several years ago I fitted 221s to my winter hack (roadised mtb) and have had absolutely no probs,
    currently it's fitted with Pasela 1.25s.

    During 13 years of all types (excluding air time!) of XC riding and racing I've always used 32 hole
    rims and never had a problem attributable to them.

    Note: If you select LX hubs check for sufficient grease in them and be aware they need regular
    maintenance if used off-road in wet conditions.

    Pete

  15. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Peter B wrote:

    > Dunno. But their wheel price is less than the sum of the parts so if you're capable of trueing
    > etc. I'd give 'em a try.

    Merlin's prices are about the same so might as well get the ones likely to be the best-built in the
    first place.

    /snip info

    Thanks for all the details Pete. It's good to know the cheaper rim (221) can stand a bit of
    hammering.

    My brother's only getting a new wheel because of problems with repeated freehub failure with the
    existing cheapo hub. (Will post a warning about that in a new thread). I was considering rebuilding
    the wheel for him with a new hub, but new wheel prices are so good that we might as well start again
    with better rim and spokes into the bargain.

    ~PB

  16. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Peter B wrote:
    > Several years ago I fitted 221s to my winter hack (roadised mtb) and have had absolutely no probs,
    > currently it's fitted with Pasela 1.25s.

    How wide is the 221?

    I apreciate all the assurances but would still like to know this most basic of specifications before
    making the final choice.

    thanks ~PB

  17. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    > How wide is the 221?

    22mm.

    Re your other post about the broken freehub: My hack (Specialized) had an unbranded freehub which
    split in use, I got home ok but when I removed the cassette the freehub fell apart! The hub
    pattern wouldn't accept a shimano freehub and the wheel was pretty crap anyway which is how come
    it ended up with 221s on it that I fitted to cast-off Shimano Deore DX hubs, been perfect for
    purpose ever since.

    Pete