Chain Removal Tool

I have always had bad luck with tools that remove the rivet in your
chain. The best one that I had was a cheapo from Western Auto that
"broke" when I attemped to remove a chain on a printing press.After
that it really worked well on my bike, but it wore out a long time
ago. I have tried others, but do not like them. I saw one advertised
at Bike Nashbar called "Nashbar Shop Chain Rivet Tool" for around
twenty bucks. Has anyone used this one or might have other
suggestions. It seems when I was younger removing, and fixing the
chain was no problem, but now it has become a chore. I know there are
chains which require "no" tool, but they really do in order to shorten
them.

Thanks

Tom

On Mar 5, 3:54 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> I have always had bad luck with tools that remove the rivet in your
> chain.

Probably because you had a crappy one. I'm a huge fan of the classic
Rivoli tool. There are copies out there that don't work nearly as
well, or simply break the first time you use them. It's cheap to boot.
Get the silver for single speed chains and fatter derailleur chains,
gold for narrow stuff.

I just responded to Craigslist cry for help with one, a young hipster
needed five additional links of KMC chain and a tool to put his single
speed together. I happened to have some spare cheapie KMC links to
match in my bucket of fun, so took a five minute detour from my
errands and made the kid's day. Rivoli Power!

In article <[email protected]>,
"landotter" <[email protected]> writes:
> On Mar 5, 3:54 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> I have always had bad luck with tools that remove the rivet in your
>> chain.

> Probably because you had a crappy one. I'm a huge fan of the classic
> Rivoli tool.

I'll second that. One of its most endearing
features to me is that it's designed to be
handheld, I mean /securely/. I find the
others are wont to roll or twist around
in one's grasp because they're too rounded
and slickly plated -- an effect which is
exacerbated by having chain lube all over
one's hands. But the Rivoli has a certain
lumpiness and all those sharp corners.

With one cheap unit I once bought, the
T-handle slipped right out of the shaft
as soon as I took it out of the blister
pack. I had to wrap li'l nubs of tape
around the ends of the T-handle so it
would stay in there.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

[email protected] wrote:
> I have always had bad luck with tools that remove the rivet in your
> chain. The best one that I had was a cheapo from Western Auto that
> "broke" when I attemped to remove a chain on a printing press.After
> that it really worked well on my bike, but it wore out a long time
> ago. I have tried others, but do not like them. I saw one advertised
> at Bike Nashbar called "Nashbar Shop Chain Rivet Tool" for around
> twenty bucks. Has anyone used this one or might have other
> suggestions. It seems when I was younger removing, and fixing the
> chain was no problem, but now it has become a chore. I know there are
> chains which require "no" tool, but they really do in order to shorten
> them.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom

I find the Park chain tool (mini CT-5) really nice. It works way better
than the Rivoli.

Peter Cole wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>> I have always had bad luck with tools that remove the rivet in your
>> chain. The best one that I had was a cheapo from Western Auto that
>> "broke" when I attemped to remove a chain on a printing press.After
>> that it really worked well on my bike, but it wore out a long time
>> ago. I have tried others, but do not like them. I saw one advertised
>> at Bike Nashbar called "Nashbar Shop Chain Rivet Tool" for around
>> twenty bucks. Has anyone used this one or might have other
>> suggestions. It seems when I was younger removing, and fixing the
>> chain was no problem, but now it has become a chore. I know there are
>> chains which require "no" tool, but they really do in order to shorten
>> them.

> I find the Park chain tool (mini CT-5) really nice. It works way better
> than the Rivoli.

That one works all right on the SRAM chains I've used, but it's all but
unusable, IME, for Shimano chains. I ended up grabbing the CT-5 tool
body with a vise-grip, and the handle with another pliers, to open one
of those monsters. Of course, the same can be said for everything short
of the monster Park CT-3.

Pat

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 10:01:21 -0500, Peter Cole
<[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> I have always had bad luck with tools that remove the rivet in your
>> chain. The best one that I had was a cheapo from Western Auto that
>> "broke" when I attemped to remove a chain on a printing press.After
>> that it really worked well on my bike, but it wore out a long time
>> ago. I have tried others, but do not like them. I saw one advertised
>> at Bike Nashbar called "Nashbar Shop Chain Rivet Tool" for around
>> twenty bucks. Has anyone used this one or might have other
>> suggestions. It seems when I was younger removing, and fixing the
>> chain was no problem, but now it has become a chore. I know there are
>> chains which require "no" tool, but they really do in order to shorten
>> them.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Tom
>>

>I find the Park chain tool (mini CT-5) really nice. It works way better
>than the Rivoli.

I have to agree. The other posters who've touted the Cyclo Rivoli
probably haven't used them as much as some of us do. The weak link (no
pun intended) in the Rivoli is the pin. The business end tends to
mushroom over and the pins seem to want to fall out of the screw.

--
jeverett3<AT>sbcglobal<DOT>net (John V. Everett)

On Mar 6, 10:21 am, John Everett
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 10:01:21 -0500, Peter Cole
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >[email protected] wrote:
> >> I have always had bad luck with tools that remove the rivet in your
> >> chain. The best one that I had was a cheapo from Western Auto that
> >> "broke" when I attemped to remove a chain on a printing press.After
> >> that it really worked well on my bike, but it wore out a long time
> >> ago. I have tried others, but do not like them. I saw one advertised
> >> at Bike Nashbar called "Nashbar Shop Chain Rivet Tool" for around
> >> twenty bucks. Has anyone used this one or might have other
> >> suggestions. It seems when I was younger removing, and fixing the
> >> chain was no problem, but now it has become a chore. I know there are
> >> chains which require "no" tool, but they really do in order to shorten
> >> them.

> >> Thanks

> >> Tom

> >I find the Park chain tool (mini CT-5) really nice. It works way better
> >than the Rivoli.

> I have to agree. The other posters who've touted the Cyclo Rivoli
> probably haven't used them as much as some of us do.

I've used them quite a bit, for twenty years at least. 6-8 times per
year. Enough to for issues to surface, don't ya think? Never had a
problem with them to be honest. I don't use any narrow 9/10 speed
chains, so perhaps it's different with them.

>The weak link (no
> pun intended) in the Rivoli is the pin. The business end tends to
> mushroom over and the pins seem to want to fall out of the screw.

I've had that happen in Rivoli clones, never with a Rivoli. Is the
Park tool better made? Sure. But the Rivoli tool has never given me a
reason to look elsewhere. It's $5-7 and is just fine for home use.

On 2007-03-06, Pat Lamb <[email protected]> wrote:

> Peter Cole wrote:
>
>> I find the Park chain tool (mini CT-5) really nice. It works way better
>> than the Rivoli.

> That one works all right on the SRAM chains I've used, but it's all but
> unusable, IME, for Shimano chains. I ended up grabbing the CT-5 tool
> body with a vise-grip, and the handle with another pliers, to open one
> of those monsters. Of course, the same can be said for everything short
> of the monster Park CT-3.

I use the venerable Gian Robert chain pliers on my chains.

--

John ([email protected])