Chain removal

aninkling

Mar 25, 2004
I have a Gary Fisher Zibrano. (I know this isn't a "mountain bike", but I couldn't find another forum that was maintenance-repair oriented.) It's time for a chain change. I can't find any special links or fat bolts on the old chain that would indicate that's where I can break the chain. Does this mean I have to have a chain link tool? And that I can remove any link?

Originally posted by aninkling
I have a Gary Fisher Zibrano. (I know this isn't a "mountain bike", but I couldn't find another forum that was maintenance-repair oriented.) It's time for a chain change. I can't find any special links or fat bolts on the old chain that would indicate that's where I can break the chain. Does this mean I have to have a chain link tool? And that I can remove any link?

I got a note from Fisher technical support and they said that a chain link removal tool is required. Case closed.

Originally posted by aninkling
Either get yourself a chain splitter or pop down to your local bike store and have them change it for you (for a small fee).

And for your new chain get an SRAM. They have a nifty "power-link" that doesn't require tools when you want to remove your chain. It makes it real easy to clean and lube your chain properly. I reckon its the best bike invention of the last few years :)

Originally posted by DVD Plaza
Either get yourself a chain splitter or pop down to your local bike store and have them change it for you (for a small fee).

The rest of the story is: A friend had a chain link tool and it took 5 seconds to pop the chain off. I put the new SRAM chain on and struggled a bit to get the silver link together right. It took a couple of test rides and tries, but that was OK. Then a reset the shifters. However, when I rode it, whenever I put any power into the stroke, the chain would slip. It was impossible to ride the bike. Finally, I had to call the local bike shop. Long story short: he replaced the rear sprockets. It turns out that the chain and the rear sprockets wear together. The rear sprockets were badly worn, causing the slipping with the new chain. BTW, this dealer didn't charge for the installation of the rear sprocket (or the cable replacement- the rear shifter cable was frayed.) or the maintenance required to reset the shifting system. They only charged for the parts. The chain was $20 and the sprocket set was $40. ;)