Chain repair help (tip) needed

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by La, May 24, 2003.

  1. La

    La Guest

    I'm stuck. Fortunately @ home and not on the road. Big time chain suck on Double Vision requiring
    the removal of one very bent link (Sachs / SRAM 7sp). I'm unable to get the pin started on its
    way through the side plate. I've been using a small chain tool for years, but have never
    completely removed the pin. I thought that I had chain repair covered for a road trip. Apparently
    not. Advice needed.

    TIA Lon HepCat / DoubleVision

    Tags:

  2. La

    La Guest

    O.K. The simple fix wins, but the answer to the question remains illusive. The simple fix is to
    discard the link if the pin (rivet) is pushed all the way out and use the next link making sure
    to keep the pin in the hole. O.K. Has anyone got a technique to replace the pin?

    Lon

    LA wrote:

    > I'm stuck. Fortunately @ home and not on the road. Big time chain suck on Double Vision requiring
    > the removal of one very bent link (Sachs / SRAM 7sp). I'm unable to get the pin started on its
    > way through the side plate. I've been using a small chain tool for years, but have never
    > completely removed the pin. I thought that I had chain repair covered for a road trip. Apparently
    > not. Advice needed.
    >
    > TIA Lon HepCat / DoubleVision

  3. Tom Blum

    Tom Blum Guest

    Has anyone got a technique to replace the pin?

    Yes. Here's what you do.

    It is very hard to get the pin started. I use a vice grip, pre set to the length of the pin. Then,
    hold the pin in place and clamp the vice grips. I think I used a needle nose pliers. It does looks
    like three hands are needed, but I know I did it with only two.

    Good luck,

    Tom

  4. PaPa

    PaPa New Member

    Joined:
    May 2, 2003
    Before you "vise grip", clean the area around the pin hole, and the pin. Then center pin to the link hole simply apply a drop of Super Glue - the proverbial "third hand". If your gentle with the vise grips, it'll press right in.

  5. Tom Blum

    Tom Blum Guest

    >Great idea PaPa but how the heck are you supposed to >ride with your finger
    glued to the chain?

    LOL. Amen to that brother!!!! The only thing I've ever glued with super glue IS my fingers!!

    Tom

  6. Alan Jarrett

    Alan Jarrett Guest

    OK. How about it's time for "Power-Link!" Here it comes to save the day...Power-Link is on the way!
    Sing that to the old Mighty Mouse Theme and you've got it! <G>

    Alan