Chain repair help (tip) needed

La

Guest
I'm stuck. Fortunately @ home and not on the road. Big time chain suck on Double Vision requiring
the removal of one very bent link (Sachs / SRAM 7sp). I'm unable to get the pin started on its
way through the side plate. I've been using a small chain tool for years, but have never
completely removed the pin. I thought that I had chain repair covered for a road trip. Apparently
not. Advice needed.

TIA Lon HepCat / DoubleVision

O.K. The simple fix wins, but the answer to the question remains illusive. The simple fix is to
discard the link if the pin (rivet) is pushed all the way out and use the next link making sure
to keep the pin in the hole. O.K. Has anyone got a technique to replace the pin?

Lon

LA wrote:

> I'm stuck. Fortunately @ home and not on the road. Big time chain suck on Double Vision requiring
> the removal of one very bent link (Sachs / SRAM 7sp). I'm unable to get the pin started on its
> way through the side plate. I've been using a small chain tool for years, but have never
> completely removed the pin. I thought that I had chain repair covered for a road trip. Apparently
> not. Advice needed.
>
> TIA Lon HepCat / DoubleVision

Has anyone got a technique to replace the pin?

Yes. Here's what you do.

It is very hard to get the pin started. I use a vice grip, pre set to the length of the pin. Then,
hold the pin in place and clamp the vice grips. I think I used a needle nose pliers. It does looks
like three hands are needed, but I know I did it with only two.

Good luck,

Tom

Before you "vise grip", clean the area around the pin hole, and the pin. Then center pin to the link hole simply apply a drop of Super Glue - the proverbial "third hand". If your gentle with the vise grips, it'll press right in.

>Great idea PaPa but how the heck are you supposed to >ride with your finger
glued to the chain?

LOL. Amen to that brother!!!! The only thing I've ever glued with super glue IS my fingers!!

Tom

OK. How about it's time for "Power-Link!" Here it comes to save the day...Power-Link is on the way!
Sing that to the old Mighty Mouse Theme and you've got it! <G>

Alan