Chain replacement interval

Brett Jaffee

Guest
I've been told that you should replace your chain about every 6 months, to avoid the chain
stretching and wearing on the gears. Assuming that's true, is that an overly conservative interval?
I'm typically riding 6-8 hours a week and wondering when I should start thinking about replacing the
chain my bike came with.

"Brett Jaffee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've been told that you should replace your chain about every 6 months, to avoid the chain
> stretching and wearing on the gears. Assuming that's
true,
> is that an overly conservative interval? I'm typically riding 6-8 hours a week and wondering when
> I should start thinking about replacing the chain my bike came with.

Chain Smokers Anonymous here at:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

Mike

> I've been told that you should replace your chain about every 6 months, to avoid the chain
> stretching and wearing on the gears. Assuming that's true, is that an overly conservative
> interval? I'm typically riding 6-8 hours a week and wondering when I should start thinking about
> replacing the chain my bike came with.

Forget intervals. Get a good plastic or aluminum ruller, measure 12" and if the pin at the 12" mark
is more than 1/16th past the mark it's time to change the chain, 1/8" past then definitely get a new
chain and you may get some slipping in the smaller cogs with the new chain, 1/4" past and there's no
doubt you are going to need a new cassette and perhaps a new front chain ring or three.
--
_________________________

> I've been told that you should replace your chain about every 6 months, to avoid the chain
> stretching and wearing on the gears. Assuming that's true, is that an overly conservative
> interval? I'm typically riding 6-8 hours a week and wondering when I should start thinking about
> replacing the chain my bike came with.

By the way, don't buy one of those park chain checker tools with the dial on them, they simply don't
work. A ruler is the best way.
--
_________________________

"Brett Jaffee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've been told that you should replace your chain about every 6 months, to avoid the chain
> stretching and wearing on the gears. Assuming that's
true,
> is that an overly conservative interval? I'm typically riding 6-8 hours a week and wondering when
> I should start thinking about replacing the chain my bike came with.

One of the best strategies of I ever heard of for chain replacement is to have a set of 3 or 4
chains and rotate the chains every month. This minimizes cog wear, you can clean and lube extra
chains at your leisure and will have a spare measured and ready to go if one breaks. This strategy
makes sense if you do a lot of mileage, ride in wet mucky conditions and use power links. Otherwise
the old ruler works fine.

"Brett Jaffee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've been told that you should replace your chain about every 6 months, to avoid the chain
> stretching and wearing on the gears. Assuming that's
true,
> is that an overly conservative interval? I'm typically riding 6-8 hours a week and wondering when
> I should start thinking about replacing the chain my bike came with.

Look under chain tools.

http://www.parktool.com/tool_indexes/catindex.shtml

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing. The rest I've just wasted.

> By the way, don't buy one of those park chain checker tools with the dial on them, they simply
> don't work. A ruler is the best way.

I can't comment on the Park but the Rohloff tool is excellent. As you say, the ruler works, though.

Andy Chequer

Chris Phillipo <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...

> Forget intervals. Get a good plastic or aluminum ruller, measure 12" and if the pin at the 12"
> mark is more than 1/16th past the mark it's time to change the chain, 1/8" past then definitely
> get a new chain and you may get some slipping in the smaller cogs with the new chain,
> 1/4" past and there's no doubt you are going to need a new cassette and perhaps a new front chain
> ring or three.

Cool, thanks. I measured with a steel ruler and found I was within 1/16". With so many things on
bikes being metric though, I'm kinda suprised at the 12" thing.

> Chris Phillipo <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
> > says...
>
> > Forget intervals. Get a good plastic or aluminum ruller, measure 12" and if the pin at the 12"
> > mark is more than 1/16th past the mark it's time to change the chain, 1/8" past then definitely
> > get a new chain and you may get some slipping in the smaller cogs with the new chain,
> > 1/4" past and there's no doubt you are going to need a new cassette and perhaps a new front
> > chain ring or three.
>
> Cool, thanks. I measured with a steel ruler and found I was within 1/16". With so many things on
> bikes being metric though, I'm kinda suprised at the 12" thing.

The 1/2" pitch of chains hasn't changed in a long time, I don't know why Shimano hasn't come up with
a new 26mm standard or something to bilk us out of more money, maybe that's going to be on 2005 XTR.
--
_________________________

RE/
>I can't comment on the Park but the Rohloff tool is excellent. As you say, the ruler works, though.

I was thinking about getting one just on GPs... What's the advantage over a ruler?
--
PeteCresswell

"(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> RE/
> >I can't comment on the Park but the Rohloff tool is excellent. As you
say,
> >the ruler works, though.
>
> I was thinking about getting one just on GPs... What's the advantage over
> ruler?
> --
> PeteCresswell

It's very important to measure the chain when its taut. Because of the way the Rohloff chain thing
is shaped, it will always pull the chain taut, which is much less fiddly than using a ruler,
especially if the chain is off the bike.

It's just less faff and is very nicely finished to boot.

Andy Chequer

Brett Jaffee <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I've been told that you should replace your chain about every 6 months, to avoid the chain
> stretching and wearing on the gears. Assuming that's true, is that an overly conservative
> interval? I'm typically riding 6-8 hours a week and wondering when I should start thinking about
> replacing the chain my bike came with.

Use a chain checker to determine that. There are too many variables to say there is a standard time
in which to replace your chain.

JD

Brett Jaffee wrote:
>>measure 12" and if the pin at the 12" mark is more than 1/16th past the mark it's time to change
>>the chain, 1/8" past then definitely get a new chain
>
>I was within 1/16". With so many things on bikes being metric though, I'm kinda suprised at the
>12" thing.

The replacement threshold itself is a unitless 1%. An increase of 1% on a 12 inch section is about
1/8 inch. You can measure any length section and use mm or inches in the calculation. However, links
are designed in rational inches.

You can also measure the length of the whole chain and count the number of links, then divide by the
unworn length.

You can get an idea of wear without removing the chain. Simply see how far you can pull a link away
from the chainring with your fingers.