Chain/Ring Compatibility

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by John Everett, Apr 24, 2003.

  1. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    Last fall I bought a used (but just barely) Fuji Touring Series. I've been riding it a bit lately
    and am annoyed by a twice-a-pedal-revolution clicking which sounds like it's coming from the bottom
    bracket area. It only happens when I'm on the middle ring.

    The bike is RSX equipped and has one of those stamped steel middle rings with all kinds of contours
    and rivets. I just took a strong light and magnifying glass and found the chain has a stylized "SS"
    on the outer links, and very tiny "SUPER" and "SHUTTLE" around the pins.

    I've never heard of a Super Shuttle chain before. Where does this come from? Also, is there possibly
    an incompatibility between this chain and the RSX ring that is causing the clicking? Would a Shimano
    chain not click? How about a Sram/Sachs/Sedis? Anyone ever confronted this before?

  2. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 18:27:25 GMT, I wrote:

    >Last fall I bought a used (but just barely) Fuji Touring Series. I've been riding it a bit lately
    >and am annoyed by a twice-a-pedal-revolution clicking which sounds like it's coming from the bottom
    >bracket area. It only happens when I'm on the middle ring.
    >
    >The bike is RSX equipped and has one of those stamped steel middle rings with all kinds of contours
    >and rivets. I just took a strong light and magnifying glass and found the chain has a stylized "SS"
    >on the outer links, and very tiny "SUPER" and "SHUTTLE" around the pins.
    >
    >I've never heard of a Super Shuttle chain before. Where does this come from? Also, is there
    >possibly an incompatibility between this chain and the RSX ring that is causing the clicking? Would
    >a Shimano chain not click? How about a Sram/Sachs/Sedis? Anyone ever confronted this before?

    Since it's been three days and not one response, let me clarify a bit. Is it possible that the
    clicking I'm hearing is the chain contacting one of the rivets and/or protrusions on the RSX middle
    ring? Are Shimano chain's sideplates designed to clear these, or does everyone with the same ring as
    mine hear the same clicking? If not, are there any chains in addition to Shimano designed to provide
    proper clearance with these chainring "features"?

  3. Jean

    Jean Guest

    "John Everett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 18:27:25 GMT, I wrote:
    |
    | >Last fall I bought a used (but just barely) Fuji Touring Series. I've been riding it a bit lately
    | >and am annoyed by a twice-a-pedal-revolution clicking which sounds like it's coming from the
    | >bottom bracket area. It only happens when I'm on the middle ring.
    | >
    | >The bike is RSX equipped and has one of those stamped steel middle rings with all kinds of
    | >contours and rivets. I just took a strong light and magnifying glass and found the chain has a
    | >stylized "SS" on the outer links, and very tiny "SUPER" and "SHUTTLE" around the pins.
    | >
    | >I've never heard of a Super Shuttle chain before. Where does this come from? Also, is there
    | >possibly an incompatibility between this chain and the RSX ring that is causing the clicking?
    | >Would a Shimano chain not click? How about a Sram/Sachs/Sedis? Anyone ever confronted this
    | >before?
    |
    | Since it's been three days and not one response, let me clarify a bit. Is it possible that the
    | clicking I'm hearing is the chain contacting one of the rivets and/or protrusions on the RSX
    | middle ring? Are Shimano chain's sideplates designed to clear these, or does everyone with the
    | same ring as mine hear the same clicking? If not, are there any chains in addition to Shimano
    | designed to provide proper clearance with these chainring "features"?
    |

    | jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

    I have the RSX crankset with the original chainrings. I found the clicking annoying when I first
    bought my bike, so the dealer took the original Shimano chain off and put a Sedis chain on ...No
    joy, the clicking was still present. My guess is that it is caused by the oddly formed tabs that are
    on the inside of the middle chainring.

    Anyway, any chain I've ever tried on it has clicked. I think the only solution would be to replace
    the middle ring...

    Jean

  4. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "John Everett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 18:27:25 GMT, I wrote:
    >
    > >Last fall I bought a used (but just barely) Fuji Touring Series. I've been riding it a bit lately
    > >and am annoyed by a twice-a-pedal-revolution clicking which sounds like it's coming from the
    > >bottom bracket area. It only happens when I'm on the middle ring.
    > >
    > >The bike is RSX equipped and has one of those stamped steel middle rings with all kinds of
    > >contours and rivets. I just took a strong light and magnifying glass and found the chain has a
    > >stylized "SS" on the outer links, and very tiny "SUPER" and "SHUTTLE" around the pins.
    > >
    > >I've never heard of a Super Shuttle chain before. Where does this come from? Also, is there
    > >possibly an incompatibility between this chain and the RSX ring that is causing the clicking?
    > >Would a Shimano chain not click? How about a Sram/Sachs/Sedis? Anyone ever confronted this
    > >before?
    >
    > Since it's been three days and not one response, let me clarify a bit. Is it possible that the
    > clicking I'm hearing is the chain contacting one of the rivets and/or protrusions on the RSX
    > middle ring? Are Shimano chain's sideplates designed to clear these, or does everyone with the
    > same ring as mine hear the same clicking? If not, are there any chains in addition to Shimano
    > designed to provide proper clearance with these chainring "features"?

    I don't know what's making the noise but the KMC Super Shuttle is a good chain that comes oem on
    Santanas with Shimano equipment. They work fine. If our $4000-plus Santanas were making noise I
    would hear about it!

    I would think that a chain hitting the other chainring's pins would click four times per rev as
    there are four pins.

    We diagnose noises by standing on the pedals with the front brake applied and your right hand on
    some support. Press firmly on one pedal then reverse and press on the other pedal while someone else
    listens/feels the BB/crank/pedal area.

  5. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 20:05:27 -0500, "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"John Everett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 18:27:25 GMT, I wrote:
    >>
    >> >Last fall I bought a used (but just barely) Fuji Touring Series. I've been riding it a bit
    >> >lately and am annoyed by a twice-a-pedal-revolution clicking which sounds like it's coming from
    >> >the bottom bracket area. It only happens when I'm on the middle ring.
    >> >
    >> >The bike is RSX equipped and has one of those stamped steel middle rings with all kinds of
    >> >contours and rivets. I just took a strong light and magnifying glass and found the chain has a
    >> >stylized "SS" on the outer links, and very tiny "SUPER" and "SHUTTLE" around the pins.
    >> >
    >> >I've never heard of a Super Shuttle chain before. Where does this come from? Also, is there
    >> >possibly an incompatibility between this chain and the RSX ring that is causing the clicking?
    >> >Would a Shimano chain not click? How about a Sram/Sachs/Sedis? Anyone ever confronted this
    >> >before?
    >
    >I don't know what's making the noise but the KMC Super Shuttle is a good chain that comes oem on
    >Santanas with Shimano equipment. They work fine. If our $4000-plus Santanas were making noise I
    >would hear about it!

    It's my guess that $4000 Santanas don't come with stamped steel RSX middle rings. :)

    >I would think that a chain hitting the other chainring's pins would click four times per rev as
    >there are four pins.

    I just did a bit more research; that is I just went down and looked at the middle ring closely.
    While it's true the big ring has four rivets, that's clearly not the problem since I only hear two
    clicks per revolution. Turns out the middle ring has no rivets, but does have two hook like
    protrusions 180 degrees apart and pointing in the direction of the grannie. Could the chain be
    clicking on these? If so, and the clicking won't be solved by changing chains (see other response)
    what harm would I be doing if I ground off these hooks?

    >We diagnose noises by standing on the pedals with the front brake applied and your right hand on
    >some support. Press firmly on one pedal then reverse and press on the other pedal while someone
    >else listens/feels the BB/crank/pedal area.

    I'd be tempted to try this if the noise was there in all three rings, but it isn't.