Chain Ring questions

warriorcliff77

Jun 15, 2007
Hi all,

Looking on ebay for a smaller chainring for the front. My question is regarding the bolt circle. Do all chainrings have the same bolt circle for mounting, or does it depend on what kind i have?

warriorcliff77 said:
Hi all,

Looking on ebay for a smaller chainring for the front. My question is regarding the bolt circle. Do all chainrings have the same bolt circle for mounting, or does it depend on what kind i have?
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_bo-z.html#bcd

Scroll down for a brand / BCD index.

How oten does a Chain need to be replaced?

I hear anywhere from 2000KM up to 5000KM.

to106 said:
How oten does a Chain need to be replaced?

I hear anywhere from 2000KM up to 5000KM.
Any suggested replacement interval is just that... a suggestion which has no basis in science.
Buy a chain checker and use it regularly. If you throw the chain between 0.5% and 1% "stretch" you can will get more life from the cassette.
Rings rarely need changing.

+1 on measuring a chain, far too many variables to put a mileage tag on it. Decent rule of thumb is if you change your chain when required you can get about 4 cycles out of a cassette. Your chainrings will last far longer, check for a "shark fin" appearance. Also, 10 speed chains will wear faster than 9 speeders.

Figured i'd post my gearing and see if i'm just a wuse, or if anyone would recommend a change for me.

front: 40,52
Rear: old 7speed 13 to 24

I'm looking for an easier granny gear....
My LBS told me that my style of cassette is pretty much impossible to update.

Thanks

Thanks mom for finding my old post( i am a newb, remember...)

But if you noticed, i didn't have my gearing specs, and now i do. Aso i can't change anything on the cassette, hence my new post regarding FRONT chainrings.

In both this and the past post I referenced, you were shown how and where to purchase either a new front chainring or new 7 speed cassettes. Both options have the potential to lower your current gearing.

Why can't you change your cassette? 7 speed cassettes are readily available.

Scotty: no disrepect intended. I'm just extremely frustrated with my LBS.

I'm simply stating what my LBS told me. Maybe if i explain how it comes off, it might shed some light: to remove my cassette i need 2 chain whips, and "unscrew" the smallest sprocket. Then the rest of the sprockets come off. I don't use a "removing" tool like my mountain bike cassette.

Further reading from your reference would indicate that i have a : "Uniglide cassettes are no longer available"

warriorcliff77 said:
Scotty:

I'm simply stating what my LBS told me. Maybe if i explain how it comes off, it might shed some light: to remove my cassette i need 2 chain whips, and "unscrew" the smallest sprocket. Then the rest of the sprockets come off. I don't use a "removing" tool like my mountain bike cassette.
Ok, sounds like you have a Uniglide cassette: http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#uniglide
If you read it, you'll discover that you could transplant a Hyperglide freehub body onto your current hub. That way, you could use the vast array of Hyperglide cassettes. Also, you could grind off the wide spline on a Hyperglide sprocket to make it fit a Uniglide freehub.

Or replace your front chainring.

Thanks for all your help.

One last quetion for you:
is the 40 52 common? or am i just week in the legs..... I find i'm rarely on the 52 except on a few flat sprints.

warriorcliff77 said:

is the 40 52 common? or am i just week in the legs..... I find i'm rarely on the 52 except on a few flat sprints.
I don't know.

If you don't like the 40 or 52, change them.

warriorcliff77 said:

40T-52T are fairly common. You may be a little weak in the legs if you really are a newb as you said. It takes a little time to work up leg strength to the point that you can efficiently push the higher gears.