chain rings

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paul D.

Argh. I am shopping for new chain rings for my commuter/touring bike. All these brands are
sooo confusing. Any suggestions of brands to look for or to avoid? If it matters, I have
shimano componentry and it is a half-stepping setup (50-46-28 front) that I am replacing (5
bolt 110/74 crank).

"Paul D." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Argh. I am shopping for new chain rings for my commuter/touring bike.
All
> these brands are sooo confusing. Any suggestions of brands to look for
or
> to avoid? If it matters, I have shimano componentry and it is a half-stepping setup (50-46-28
> front) that I am replacing (5 bolt 110/74 crank).

Hey Paul. Don't know where in the world you are (figuratively and literally) but try Black Spire
Rings (www.blackspire.com). They manufacture in-house and make several models (plain, ramped,
ramped/pinned) in every bolt circle/tooth size under the sun and are made in North America (Canada
in fact). If no-one locally carries them why not try www.mec.ca and take advantage of the good
exchange rate (and co-op buying power). Good Luck Keith.
* "The knack lies in learning to throw yourself *
* -at the ground and miss" *
* D. Adams. *
* * *------------------------

In article <[email protected]>, Paul D. <[email protected]> wrote:
>Argh. I am shopping for new chain rings for my commuter/touring bike. All these brands are
>sooo confusing. Any suggestions of brands to look for or to avoid? If it matters, I have
>shimano componentry and it is a half-stepping setup (50-46-28 front) that I am replacing (5
>bolt 110/74 crank).

Any 110 or 74 ring should be fine. The typical unbranded Sugino economy chainring really works
great. There are some that last longer than others, but cheap doesn't necessarily imply that it will
wear out quickly. If you spend a lot of time in the granny ring or have chain suck problems, a
stainless steel inner chainring is a plus. The others should definitely be aluminum.

--Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.