Chain rings

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Neil Smith, Feb 27, 2004.

  1. Neil Smith

    Neil Smith Guest

    The bike shop having trouble selecting replacement rings for my chainset and they were talking
    "Pitch". How do you establish which type of ring is required for a particular chain ring. The old
    one, I suspect very old is Suigino Comp super-shifter. Would anyone how to find the size by which I
    could find something similar? Also I am thinking of going for a larger large ring, moving up from 48
    to 50 or 52. What will be the sizes for the other two rings. I believe that I will have to adjust
    the front derailleur. How to I determine, apart from the hard way, the correct position?

    Tags:

  2. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    Fri, 27 Feb 2004 21:25:49 -0000,
    <[email protected]>, "Neil Smith"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The bike shop having trouble selecting replacement rings for my chainset and they were talking
    > "Pitch". How do you establish which type of ring is required for a particular chain ring. The old
    > one, I suspect very old is Suigino Comp super-shifter. Would anyone how to find the size by which
    > I could find something similar? Also I am thinking of going for a larger large ring, moving up
    > from 48 to 50 or 52. What will be the sizes for the other two rings. I believe that I will have to
    > adjust the front derailleur. How to I determine, apart from the hard way, the correct position?

    Forget "pitch". All the chains today are half-inch "pitch". They're
    3/32" or 1/8" wide. The "pitch" of the sprocket can change through wear but they all start out the
    same. http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

    The variety of chainrings has mostly to do with the "bolt circle diameter". You can measure the
    distance between holes and look here to determine what size it is.
    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/chainrings.html

    Yes, you'll have to reposition the front derailleur. As long as it's not brazed on or attached to
    a plate crammed onto the BB, it's an easy job to just slide up or down the seat tube and adjust
    the cable..
    --
    zk