Chain Rub Question???

mseanschmidt

Aug 24, 2006
I just bought a Cervelo Soloist Carbon with rear Ultgra and front DuraAce derailers. There was an enormous amount of noise during the first 100-150 miles and the front derailers was not shifting properly. I took it back to the LBS and they made adjustments. I continued to get an enormous amount of chain rub noise throughout most of the gears. I took it back and they made adjustments again. I took it home a did a complete cleaning/lube of the chain. I took it out for a ride and for the first 15-20 miles it shifted very smooth with no noise whatsoever. Then, at mile 20, I started to get that chain rub noise again throughout all the gears??? I am very frustrated that I have this awesome new Cervelo and it sounds like an old tractor engine while riding. I feel like a pain in the ass to my LBS.... Can anyone tell me why I'm having this problem and what I might be able to do as a fix???

mseanschmidt said:
I just bought a Cervelo Soloist Carbon with rear Ultgra and front DuraAce derailers. There was an enormous amount of noise during the first 100-150 miles and the front derailers was not shifting properly. I took it back to the LBS and they made adjustments. I continued to get an enormous amount of chain rub noise throughout most of the gears. I took it back and they made adjustments again. I took it home a did a complete cleaning/lube of the chain. I took it out for a ride and for the first 15-20 miles it shifted very smooth with no noise whatsoever. Then, at mile 20, I started to get that chain rub noise again throughout all the gears??? I am very frustrated that I have this awesome new Cervelo and it sounds like an old tractor engine while riding. I feel like a pain in the ass to my LBS.... Can anyone tell me why I'm having this problem and what I might be able to do as a fix???
What combination of rings and cogs, do you get this noise? Are you sure it is chain rub and where is it rubbing? Put it in a bike stand and turn the pedals so you can see where it rubs. Take your rear wheel out an check the tightness of the cassette lock ring. If you don't have the wrench for it, put a pair of gloves on and see if you can move the gogs, twisting half in one direction and the other half in the opposite direction. Post the results and I am sure you will receive an answer or some additional test suggestions to narrow the cause down further.

I have the exact same problem with my Specialized Tarmac SL. I don't have the same components but the problems is the same. I'm convinced after different mechanincs found different issues that the problem is the mechanics setting it up versus the components. The biggest unknown factor is the mechanic. If they don't setup the front derailer correctly you'll get all many of noises / rubbing etc. Maybe this thread should read, what mechanic would you recommend in <my area> ?

mseanschmidt said:
Okay, get out a magnifying glass and check to see whether or not a 9-speed chain has been installed in your 10-speed drivetrain ... I'll bet THAT is the problem!

I apparently cannot say it enough times: your chain must "match" your front derailleur ...

The only time a 9-speed chain can be used with a 10-speed drivetrain is if you have a Campagnolo drivetrain BECAUSE the Campy 10-speed cassette's cogs are really spaced about the same as a Shimano 9-speed cogs.