Chain rub

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Paul, May 11, 2003.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Well here I go again with, what I guess is, another basic question but people here are great at
    helping out a beginner.

    I've always had a spot of chain rub when riding the middle chainring with the chain on the smallest
    (8th) sprocket. I realise that this in one of those 'out of bounds' gears and it rarely gets used so
    I've never worried about it.

    I've recently noticed a spot of light chain rub however when riding with the chain on the 2nd from
    smallest sprocket (7th). This only occurs when pedalling really hard (more of a mash really), the
    sort of pedalling force that would probably suggest to a more experienced cyclist that they need to
    change gear :).

    I appreciate that both the frame and chain can flex when pedalling (although I have an oversized
    aluminium alloy frame - I don't know whether these flex or not) but I was wondering whether chain
    rub is anything to worry about, does it suggest a mal-adjusted derailleur? The chainrings shift
    crisply so I don't want to meddle with an otherwise working setup unless I have to.

    The chain itself is fairly new and well looked after.

    Thanks for any thoughts.

    Kind Regards,

    Paul.

    Tags:

  2. Grenouil

    Grenouil Guest

    "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Well here I go again with, what I guess is, another basic
    question but
    > people here are great at helping out a beginner.
    >
    > I've always had a spot of chain rub when riding the middle
    chainring with
    > the chain on the smallest (8th) sprocket. I realise that
    this in one of
    > those 'out of bounds' gears and it rarely gets used so
    I've never worried
    > about it.
    >
    > I've recently noticed a spot of light chain rub however
    when riding with the
    > chain on the 2nd from smallest sprocket (7th). This only
    occurs when
    > pedalling really hard (more of a mash really), the sort of
    pedalling force
    > that would probably suggest to a more experienced cyclist
    that they need to
    > change gear :).
    >
    > I appreciate that both the frame and chain can flex when
    pedalling (although
    > I have an oversized aluminium alloy frame - I don't know
    whether these flex
    > or not) but I was wondering whether chain rub is anything
    to worry about,
    > does it suggest a mal-adjusted derailleur? The chainrings
    shift crisply so I
    > don't want to meddle with an otherwise working setup
    unless I have to.

    > The chain itself is fairly new and well looked after.
    >
    > Thanks for any thoughts.
    >
    > Kind Regards,
    >
    > Paul.

    Try screwing the front cable adjuster (on the down tube) out a little bit. This should move the FDR
    out in the middle ring.....