Chain rubbing against derailleur

Hi!

My Mom just bought a new bike and when the chain is on the smallest
front ring and on the smallest back rings the chain rubs aginst the
derailleur on the front. The lady at the bike shop says this is normal
but I'm not quite sure. Is the derailleur set up wrong?

Thank you.

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi!
>
> My Mom just bought a new bike and when the chain is on the smallest
> front ring and on the smallest back rings the chain rubs aginst the
> derailleur on the front. The lady at the bike shop says this is
> normal but I'm not quite sure. Is the derailleur set up wrong?

No, and what does your Mom look like?

> Hi!
>
> My Mom just bought a new bike and when the chain is on the smallest
> front ring and on the smallest back rings the chain rubs aginst the
> derailleur on the front. The lady at the bike shop says this is normal
> but I'm not quite sure. Is the derailleur set up wrong?
>
> Thank you.

No.

The config smallest front smallest back is not a one to run as the
chainline is that unstraight that excessive wear occurs.

Use instead a middle/middle config.

Martin

--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi!
>
> My Mom just bought a new bike and when the chain is on the smallest
> front ring and on the smallest back rings the chain rubs aginst the
> derailleur on the front. The lady at the bike shop says this is normal
> but I'm not quite sure. Is the derailleur set up wrong?
>
> Thank you.

Well generally that is sort of a strange gear combination to be in
anyway. But many bikes with multiple chain ring up front have this
problem, and it is not really a problem. Just change from the small ring
in the front to the next largest ring, or change gears in the back. And
avoid strange gears combinations that cause the chain to rub on the
derailleur. So to answer your question no the derailleur is probably not
set up wrong.

Ken
--
New cycling jersey: $49
new cycling shorts: $39

On 8 May 2006 13:00:19 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>Hi!
>
>My Mom just bought a new bike and when the chain is on the smallest
>front ring and on the smallest back rings the chain rubs aginst the
>derailleur on the front. The lady at the bike shop says this is normal
>but I'm not quite sure. Is the derailleur set up wrong?

No, that's normal. What you're doing is called "cross chaining", and
it puts the chain at more of an angle than it's wise to run. The more
that the chain has to flex sideways, the faster it wears out. The
best idea is not to run it in that kind of combination. There's
really no good reason to do it anyway; there are other sprocket
choices that will give you about the same result without having to
cross-chain so far.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

"Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > My Mom just bought a new bike and when the chain is on the smallest
> > front ring and on the smallest back rings the chain rubs aginst the
> > derailleur on the front. The lady at the bike shop says this is
> > normal but I'm not quite sure. Is the derailleur set up wrong?

> No, and what does your Mom look like?

Family newsgroup, buddy.

--
Ted Bennett

Ted Bennett wrote:
> "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> My Mom just bought a new bike and when the chain is on the smallest
>>> front ring and on the smallest back rings the chain rubs aginst the
>>> derailleur on the front. The lady at the bike shop says this is
>>> normal but I'm not quite sure. Is the derailleur set up wrong?

>> No, and what does your Mom look like?

> Family newsgroup, buddy.

Hey now... D'OH!

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi!
>
> My Mom just bought a new bike and when the chain is on the smallest
> front ring and on the smallest back rings the chain rubs aginst the
> derailleur on the front. The lady at the bike shop says this is normal
> but I'm not quite sure. Is the derailleur set up wrong?
>
> Thank you.

Probably not. Like driving a car from a stop light in 3rd gear instead
of first gear...small-small combos are not a good thing. If the FD
works well in other combos, it is probably correct.