Chain rubbing on RD

Günther Schwarz

Guest
New bike with:
steel frame, generous 43cm chainstays, BB-UN73 110mm, FC-A410 with T.A.
33/48 chainrings, SRAM PC991, FH-6500, HG70 13-25 nine speed cassette,
Campagnolo Veloce long cage derailleur, 10 speed version.

Problem:
When in the two smallest sprockets the chain is rubbing against the
inner cage plate of the derailleur next to the lower pulley. This
happens also when in the large chainwheel. As far as I can tell the
chain line is correct. With a new frame it might be considered to be
unlikely that the hanger is bent.
As the bike is new it will go to my LBS next week. They will probably
find a way to solve the problem. I'm just curious if this is a
common problem with the slightly wider nine speed chain on a 10 speed
derailleur.

Günther

Günther Schwarz wrote:
> New bike with:
> steel frame, generous 43cm chainstays, BB-UN73 110mm, FC-A410 with T.A.
> 33/48 chainrings, SRAM PC991, FH-6500, HG70 13-25 nine speed cassette,
> Campagnolo Veloce long cage derailleur, 10 speed version.
>
> Problem:
> When in the two smallest sprockets the chain is rubbing against the
> inner cage plate of the derailleur next to the lower pulley. This
> happens also when in the large chainwheel. As far as I can tell the
> chain line is correct. With a new frame it might be considered to be
> unlikely that the hanger is bent.
> As the bike is new it will go to my LBS next week. They will probably
> find a way to solve the problem. I'm just curious if this is a
> common problem with the slightly wider nine speed chain on a 10 speed
> derailleur.
>
> Günther

well, assuming the hanger is straight, and being new is /no/ guarantee,
the likely candidate is /definitely/ the skinny derailleur cage/thicker
chain. the pulley wheel covers, those little dished aluminum things,
are much thinner on the 10s, hence the cage is more closely spaced. you
can buy pulleys for 9-speed with the thicker covers, so retrofit
accordingly. and you can use the covers again on the spare pulleys
you've just bought when the originals' bearings wear out - which in my
experience, is after only one season. [imo, the best long cage rear
derailleur out there is shimano xt. bullet proof ceramic bearings take
any amount of abuse. last forever.]

also bear in mind: the cassette spacing for shimano is not /quite/ the
same as campy. while i used a shimano cassette and campy shifter
together for years without any /real/ problems, alignment is not
absolutely perfect, so if i were ever to go back to campy brifters [most
unlikely given their unreliability] i'd consider a wheel system with a
cheapo campy cassette.

jim beam wrote:

> Günther Schwarz wrote:
>> New bike with:
>> steel frame, generous 43cm chainstays, BB-UN73 110mm, FC-A410 with
>> T.A. 33/48 chainrings, SRAM PC991, FH-6500, HG70 13-25 nine speed
>> cassette, Campagnolo Veloce long cage derailleur, 10 speed version.
>>
>> Problem:
>> When in the two smallest sprockets the chain is rubbing against the
>> inner cage plate of the derailleur next to the lower pulley. This
>> happens also when in the large chainwheel. As far as I can tell the
>> chain line is correct. With a new frame it might be considered to be
>> unlikely that the hanger is bent.
>> As the bike is new it will go to my LBS next week. They will probably
>> find a way to solve the problem. I'm just curious if this is a
>> common problem with the slightly wider nine speed chain on a 10 speed
>> derailleur.

> well, assuming the hanger is straight, and being new is /no/
> guarantee, the likely candidate is /definitely/ the skinny derailleur
> cage/thicker
> chain. the pulley wheel covers, those little dished aluminum things,
> are much thinner on the 10s, hence the cage is more closely spaced.
> you can buy pulleys for 9-speed with the thicker covers, so retrofit
> accordingly.

This might be a possibility. I will ask the shop to try to fit some Tacx
pulleys.

> also bear in mind: the cassette spacing for shimano is not /quite/ the
> same as campy.

This is another story as rubbing occurs at the lower pulley and not only
in the smallest, but also in the second sprocket. Fitting a Campagnolo
hub and cassette won't help.

> while i used a shimano cassette and campy shifter
> together for years without any /real/ problems, alignment is not
> absolutely perfect,

Until now I'm, apart from the little problem mentioned, quite satisfied
with the setup.

Günther

Günther Schwarz wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>
> > Günther Schwarz wrote:
> >> New bike with:
> >> steel frame, generous 43cm chainstays, BB-UN73 110mm, FC-A410 with
> >> T.A. 33/48 chainrings, SRAM PC991, FH-6500, HG70 13-25 nine speed
> >> cassette, Campagnolo Veloce long cage derailleur, 10 speed version.
> >>
> >> Problem:
> >> When in the two smallest sprockets the chain is rubbing against the
> >> inner cage plate of the derailleur next to the lower pulley. This
> >> happens also when in the large chainwheel. As far as I can tell the
> >> chain line is correct. With a new frame it might be considered to be
> >> unlikely that the hanger is bent.
> >> As the bike is new it will go to my LBS next week. They will probably
> >> find a way to solve the problem. I'm just curious if this is a
> >> common problem with the slightly wider nine speed chain on a 10 speed
> >> derailleur.

> > well, assuming the hanger is straight, and being new is /no/
> > guarantee, the likely candidate is /definitely/ the skinny derailleur
> > cage/thicker
> > chain. the pulley wheel covers, those little dished aluminum things,
> > are much thinner on the 10s, hence the cage is more closely spaced.
> > you can buy pulleys for 9-speed with the thicker covers, so retrofit
> > accordingly.

> This might be a possibility. I will ask the shop to try to fit some Tacx
> pulleys.
>
> > also bear in mind: the cassette spacing for shimano is not /quite/ the
> > same as campy.

> This is another story as rubbing occurs at the lower pulley and not only
> in the smallest, but also in the second sprocket. Fitting a Campagnolo
> hub and cassette won't help.
>
> > while i used a shimano cassette and campy shifter
> > together for years without any /real/ problems, alignment is not
> > absolutely perfect,

> Until now I'm, apart from the little problem mentioned, quite satisfied
> with the setup.
>
> Günther

I wonder if the RD cage is straight...new or used RD?

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> Günther Schwarz wrote:
>> jim beam wrote:

>> > well, assuming the hanger is straight, and being new is /no/
>> > guarantee, the likely candidate is /definitely/ the skinny
>> > derailleur cage/thicker
>> > chain.

>> This might be a possibility. I will ask the shop to try to fit some
>> Tacx pulleys.

> I wonder if the RD cage is straight...new or used RD?

The derailleur as well as the frame, cassette, chain and chainrings are
new. Stay tuned: I will post an update as soon as I will get the bike
back from my LBS.

Günther

Günther Schwarz wrote:

> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>
>> Günther Schwarz wrote:

>>> This might be a possibility. I will ask the shop to try to fit some
>>> Tacx pulleys.

>> I wonder if the RD cage is straight...new or used RD?

> The derailleur as well as the frame, cassette, chain and chainrings
> are new. Stay tuned: I will post an update as soon as I will get the
> bike back from my LBS.

I did get the bike back from the workshop today. They followed the
obvious route and took a Dremel tool to get rid of the tiresome parts
of the inner cage plate. No rubbing any more and everything works just
fine.

Günther

� Schwarz wrote:
> G�nther Schwarz wrote:
>

>>Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

>>>I wonder if the RD cage is straight...new or used RD?

>>The derailleur as well as the frame, cassette, chain and chainrings
>>are new. Stay tuned: I will post an update as soon as I will get the
>>bike back from my LBS.

> I did get the bike back from the workshop today. They followed the
> obvious route and took a Dremel tool to get rid of the tiresome parts
> of the inner cage plate.

ugh. would you let them "mend" your wrist watch with a dremel too?
utter butchery. get the proper parts.