chain rust, salt, laziness

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Craig Brozefsky

I've got a new track chain that has some rust on it, and I'm wondering if anyone has a strategy for
removing the rust. It doesn't appear to have corroded any of the chain surfaces, just a fine coating
of iron oxide. No links are stiff and it runs fine. As for how it got there, that's my fault, I was
lazy and didn't wipe it down after it got wet and let it sit.

This winter season my gear did pretty good. My hubs all seem to be holding up, which is an
improvement over last year when my rear hub (Suzue Pro-Max SB) bearings seized up and the "cone"
welded itself to the axle. But I went thru 3 chains, again, laziness was the culprit. I would remove
a chain from the bike, and let it sit on the floor. The salt spray would rust it solid in a matter
of days. Yah, I know it's dumb. I feel horrible about it, wasted steel, wasted labor...

How do people store their chains? If anyone is in Chicago or another locale that salts their roads
the way I salt my fish-n-chips, I would be interested in hearing about their chain maint. strategy.

It's warming up!

--
Sincerely, Craig Brozefsky <[email protected]> No war! No racist scapegoating! No attacks on civil
liberties! Chicago Coalition Against War & Racism: www.chicagoantiwar.org Free Scheme/Lisp Software:
http://www.red-bean.com/~craig

Craig Brozefsky <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

<snip>

> But I went thru 3 chains, again, laziness was the culprit.

<snip>

Craig, Since you seem to go through chains quite often due to rust, wouldn't it be cheaper in the
long run to just bite the bullet and buy a Wipperman stainless steel chain? -Boyd

"Craig Brozefsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> How do people store their chains? If anyone is in Chicago or another locale that salts their roads
> the way I salt my fish-n-chips, I would be interested in hearing about their chain maint.
> strategy.

I just wipe mine down after a winter ride when there's salt on the road. If it's above freezing,
I'll hose the bike off first, but I always at least wipe the chain with an oily rag I keep just for
the purpose. In the summer, I can get away with just bouncing the bike to shake the water off a wet
chain, but with salt and a cold storage area, I wipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.