Chain Scrubber refills

colebatchd

Aug 15, 2009
Hi All,

Am I right in thinking that I could use any degreaser in the Park Chain Scrubber? I have just run out of the Park stuff:

Park Tool ChainBrite II Cleaner | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

But rather than get that, I was going to get this:

Weldtite Citrus Degreaser | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

And use it in the same way. Any problems with this? This is obviously for one of these:

Park Tool Chain Scrubber | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Be grateful for any guidance.

Cheers,
Dim

kdelong

Dec 14, 2006
Sure you can use it. Any commercial citrus degreaser that is intended for chain cleaning is OK to use in the Park CM-5 chain scrubber.

colebatchd

Aug 15, 2009
kdelong said:
Sure you can use it. Any commercial citrus degreaser that is intended for chain cleaning is OK to use in the Park CM-5 chain scrubber.

Thanks. One more question - is the idea to re-use the degreaser? Seems awefully wasteful to chuck it each time, is filtering the gunk out an option? I seem to be out riding in the wet a lot at the moment, which is leading to a lot of degreasing!

Cheers,
Dim

alienator

Jun 10, 2004
colebatchd said:
Thanks. One more question - is the idea to re-use the degreaser? Seems awefully wasteful to chuck it each time, is filtering the gunk out an option? I seem to be out riding in the wet a lot at the moment, which is leading to a lot of degreasing!

Cheers,
Dim

To filter the cleaning sol'n/degreaser: put the dirty stuff in a can; let it set for a few days; then pour off the clean stuff on top into a different container. Mineral spirits are a great, cheap solution and can be stretched a long way using as I described.

colebatchd

Aug 15, 2009
Thanks.

Mineral Spirits? You mean instead of using Citris Degreaser, just use Mineral Spirits? And then re-use that - now that does make for a cheap solution!

Cheers,
Dim

alienator

Jun 10, 2004
colebatchd said:
Thanks.

Mineral Spirits? You mean instead of using Citris Degreaser, just use Mineral Spirits? And then re-use that - now that does make for a cheap solution!

Cheers,
Dim

It's certainly an option as mineral spirits are a great solvent and cheap. Of course, no matter which you use, make sure to dispose of the dirty kack in the bottom properly.