Chain Scrubber refills



colebatchd

New Member
Aug 15, 2009
28
0
0
Hi All,

Am I right in thinking that I could use any degreaser in the Park Chain Scrubber? I have just run out of the Park stuff:

Park Tool ChainBrite II Cleaner | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

But rather than get that, I was going to get this:

Weldtite Citrus Degreaser | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

And use it in the same way. Any problems with this? This is obviously for one of these:

Park Tool Chain Scrubber | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Be grateful for any guidance.

Cheers,
Dim
 

kdelong

Well-Known Member
Dec 14, 2006
3,477
134
48
Sure you can use it. Any commercial citrus degreaser that is intended for chain cleaning is OK to use in the Park CM-5 chain scrubber.
 

colebatchd

New Member
Aug 15, 2009
28
0
0
kdelong said:
Sure you can use it. Any commercial citrus degreaser that is intended for chain cleaning is OK to use in the Park CM-5 chain scrubber.

Thanks. One more question - is the idea to re-use the degreaser? Seems awefully wasteful to chuck it each time, is filtering the gunk out an option? I seem to be out riding in the wet a lot at the moment, which is leading to a lot of degreasing!

Cheers,
Dim
 

alienator

Well-Known Member
Jun 10, 2004
12,596
310
0
colebatchd said:
Thanks. One more question - is the idea to re-use the degreaser? Seems awefully wasteful to chuck it each time, is filtering the gunk out an option? I seem to be out riding in the wet a lot at the moment, which is leading to a lot of degreasing!

Cheers,
Dim

To filter the cleaning sol'n/degreaser: put the dirty stuff in a can; let it set for a few days; then pour off the clean stuff on top into a different container. Mineral spirits are a great, cheap solution and can be stretched a long way using as I described.
 

colebatchd

New Member
Aug 15, 2009
28
0
0
Thanks.

Mineral Spirits? You mean instead of using Citris Degreaser, just use Mineral Spirits? And then re-use that - now that does make for a cheap solution!

Cheers,
Dim
 

alienator

Well-Known Member
Jun 10, 2004
12,596
310
0
colebatchd said:
Thanks.

Mineral Spirits? You mean instead of using Citris Degreaser, just use Mineral Spirits? And then re-use that - now that does make for a cheap solution!

Cheers,
Dim

It's certainly an option as mineral spirits are a great solvent and cheap. Of course, no matter which you use, make sure to dispose of the dirty kack in the bottom properly.