Chain Slipping, Again

jwroubaix

Jun 6, 2007
A few weeks my chain was slipping off my 2nd cog while pedaling. I took to my LBS and they did a tune up for $80. 50 miles later and it's doing the same thing. Mostly just the 2nd cog. Should I try lubing the chain or should I take it back to the LBS? Or am I doing something wrong? I'll admit I don't pay much attention to what gears I'm in so maybe i'm putting extra stress on the chain.

Slipping off? Down to a smaller cog? I would imagine someone would have noticed by now, but have you checked the derailleur? Maybe the cable is wearing out, and letting slack develop?

jwroubaix said:
A few weeks my chain was slipping off my 2nd cog while pedaling. I took to my LBS and they did a tune up for $80. 50 miles later and it's doing the same thing. Mostly just the 2nd cog. Should I try lubing the chain or should I take it back to the LBS? Or am I doing something wrong? I'll admit I don't pay much attention to what gears I'm in so maybe i'm putting extra stress on the chain.

A 'tune up' for $80? Farking hell. I'd ask for your money back.

Are all the components on your bike of the same make and 'model' eg 2005 Shimano 105?

The adjustment procedure is pretty generic. Follow the instructions outlined in this doc.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/t.../RD6500/SI-53Z0C_En_v1_m56577569830611842.pdf

... or you can go to Shimano.com and browse for you specific parts documentation.

Apart from the info given in the tech doc, if the cables are old then either take them off and give them a good cleaning and check for wear or just replace them. "Eyeball" the rear derailleur to see if it, or the hanger, is bent.

Look at the sprockets too see if there's any wear apparent on the one that's slipping. If the chain has been on for a while, change it... although for $80 one would expect that this has been done already - cables too really. If the cables are new, given them a stretch - they're supposed to be pre-stretched but I have my doubts about that.

jwroubaix said:

Yes, you should be regularly lubing your chain, at least every 100-150 miles. That is part of basic maintenance. Just a hunch, but I would guess that you have been mostly riding in that gear and you have worn it down with a dirty chain.

jwroubaix said:
Are you having the fore mentioned problem with a MTB or a Road bike? Even though this the "Road Cycling" Forum I thought I should ask (just to be certain) ...

And, what are the riding conditions?

Post a picture of your rear derailleur/cog (include a few inches surrounding the cassette in the frame).

If the chain is slipping but it stays on the same cog, then the teeth are probably worn and it's time to replace the cassette. I'm guessing it's been on there for quite awhile and that you ride in the 2nd cog quite a lot.

This happened to me before - usually it means a new cassette, new chain, and maybe new front chainrings.

I took my bike back and they found that cog was bent slightly. Don't know how that happened, they said they don't see if often. They said it can happen from a bad shift. They're charging me just for the parts and not the labor since they should've found this when they did the tuneup.

LB CYCLIST said:
great info

jwroubaix said:
I took my bike back and they found that cog was bent slightly. Don't know how that happened, they said they don't see if often. They said it can happen from a bad shift. They're charging me just for the parts and not the labor since they should've found this when they did the tuneup.
Although they aren't observant, at least they are honest.

sd790 said:
Yes, you should be regularly lubing your chain, at least every 100-150 miles. That is part of basic maintenance. Just a hunch, but I would guess that you have been mostly riding in that gear and you have worn it down with a dirty chain.

I didn't know I had to do that. :eek: How to I lube the chain?

1. Get some decent lube at a bike shop
2. Wipe your chain with a rag to get off any grunge.
3. Put a drop of oil on each link.
4. Wipe it off again to remove the excess lube.

The goal is to get the lube down into the rollers. Wiping the excess off will help keep dirt from collecting as fast on the chain.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC0K1q33WiU"]Lubing your bike chain[/ame]

jwroubaix said:
Bent cog? I can't picture that. Did they replace the whole cassette, since most cogs are integeral to the cassette?

I do most of my maintenance, so I'd like to know what exactly entails a Tune-up for a bike? Do they give you an itemized list on your receipt?

BTW, if your chain is slipping (not from faulty derailer) the overwhelming chance is a worn rear cassette and/or chain. It's best to replace both if it's so worn that it causes skipping.

john gault said:
I do most of my maintenance, so I'd like to know what exactly entails a Tune-up for a bike? Do they give you an itemized list on your receipt?
Because bikes differ from each other, it is too difficult to define "tune up" for every bike. Generally I lube everything that can be lubed and adjust the bearings on bikes that do not have sealed bearings. I also check the cables and cable housings and replace them as needed. I remove the chain for a deep cleaning and lubing or replacement if warranted. I clean the rest of the drivetrain. I also check the true of the wheels and tweek as needed. Lastly, I have the customer get on the bike when he comes to pick it up so that any fit adjustments can be made.